Responsibility on my freehold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Responsibility on my freehold

I am joint freeholder with the property upstairs and have had issues with our roof leaking. After many repairs paying my 50% to the cost, the upstairs owner has decided to extend into the loft space and onto 50% of the flat roof at the back. I thought this would reduce the cost to me to the front of the apex and remainder of the flat roof that their extension isn't on. However they have said that my responsibility is 50% of what the whole of the roof would have been if it was just all replaced. As most of the roof is now their extension, am i still responsible to pay 50% of what a standard roof replacement would have been?

If the lease says 50% then it stays 50% but presumably they need your consent to the alteration which is the time to request a variation of the lease to make them responsible for whole roof

Comment

OP should make application to the FTT for adjustment of % contribution to service charge to reflect the room in the loft space and extension at back taken up by other leaseholder.

Comment

Has this extension already been built?
        If so, what was agreed when the co-freeholder asked for permission to extend?
        If not, you can probably withhold permission unless they agree to take full responsibility for the roof in future (and might even be able to demand a premium from them).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X