Balcony repairs - lease issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balcony repairs - lease issue

Hi, new poster here, legal ignoramus. We live on the middle floor of a three story building (i.e. the British first floor), freehold jointly held as individual leases by all owners equally and managed by a residents' committee who employ estate managers. We and the flat above have balconies which are cantilevered extensions of the internal concrete floor/ceiling plates and extend between two adjacent flats on each floor, i.e. the balcony is a continuous concrete slab which connects four flats inside and out, two neighbouring below, two neighbouring above. The ground floor flat below us has our balcony as an external 'ceiling' which overshadows their access to the common garden. The lease for our flat states that we are responsible "for repairs to the balcony or balconies" and that we are responsible for internal ceilings and flooring.

There is a repair issue with all of the balconies. The flat below has been told by the estate managers that they as flat owners are responsible for the repairs to the underside of the balcony, i.e. the extension to their ceiling, while we are responsible for repairs to the upper surface (the extension of our floor) and the underside of the balcony on the flat above us (the extension of our ceiling). Conversely (maybe...), the wording of the lease implies we are responsible for the whole balcony, i.e. upper and lower surfaces, and none of the balcony to the floor above. The fact that the balconies are concrete slabs which are extensions of the internal floors and ceilings seems to me to complicate matters (it's not said in the lease if the floors/ceilings are "severed medially"). Just to add a little more spice, five years ago the estate managers unilaterally replaced all the balustrades to the balconies as part of the general service charge which all leaseholders pay, whether they have balconies or not.

I have no desire to cause a ruckus with neighbours, but I really do want to know exactly what we're liable for.

It is going to depend on the exact wording of the lease (definitions of things like "building" and so on). There is no external rule.

Comment

It should be a certain proportion of the total cost, surely? I don't see how you can apportion different amounts to different flats.
      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Can 'ceiling' apply to something outside the property? Seems a bit of stretch to me. Suggest you post the relevant part of the lease.

Comment

It sounds to me that the Estate Managers are wrong. From what you say, the balcony is exactly that, a balcony, it might be an extension of the downstairs ceiling but at the moment it passes through the wall it becomes your balcony. And, from what you say, you are responsible for its repair.

What is the nature of the repair?

Comment

It is not really possible to answer your question without knowing exactly what your lease says, please quote in full:

The "parcels" that is the part which describes what is included and (possibly) excluded.
            The tenant's repairing obligations
            The landlord's repairing obligations

Any relevant definitions

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Ground Rent review
              by Century
              United Scientific Holdings v Burnley Borough Council

Does this case mean that for a residential lease failure to give notice of GR increase during the review period doesn't matter? I.e review can be at any time, even after specified review date?
              11-08-2022, 14:47 PM
            • Reply to Ground Rent review
              by Century
              Interesting!
              But it doesn’t stop them doing it though.

On one site I’m contesting a GR increase that puts it above £250 pa (outside inner London) with the obvious ramifications. On another the increase is 33% - from £37.50 to £50 per 6 months, so have to balance the cost benefit...
              12-08-2022, 14:31 PM
              by Lawcruncher
              A section 166 notice relating to the reviewed rent cannot be served until the rent has been quantified.
              12-08-2022, 14:03 PM
              by Century
              Not the same developer - 3 different ones. Don’t know about conveyancer.

Counter notice will be served of course. S166 notice also defective for Wales - I won’t go into details in case there are spies from freeholder and/or their agent.🥸...
              12-08-2022, 12:56 PM
              by Lawcruncher
              I think the way the law sees it is that the tenant has a lease with the provision in it and knows that on certain dates the rent will increase and on what basis.

Must be the same developer and/or conveyancer.

Having a rent review for a ground rent is not generally...
              12-08-2022, 12:18 PM
            • Reply to Freeholder Premium to consent
              by Limply
              According to the lease, the roof and the roof structure are included in the Demised Premises. There is no mention of the space above the roof.

And wow I wasn't expecting that many answers! In any case, the other leaseholder (we are only 2 in the house) is open to buying the freehold so...
              12-08-2022, 12:17 PM
            • Freeholder Premium to consent
              by Limply
              Hi all,

I am looking at extending my leasehold flat by adding a newbuild next to the loft (will be erected on top of the first floor). I have just asked my freeholder for the process to follow. In the past they have asked me to pay a "Landlord’s premium for the consent to be established
              11-08-2022, 16:20 PM
              by AndrewDod
              Not sure it does suggest that (either the no-ownership or the inferiority). A contract can be an asset in itself.

Some contracts are worth a lot (A New York Yellow Taxi Token was worth a $million until Uber came along).

Yes "You have no ownership in the building"...
              12-08-2022, 12:12 PM
              by Century
              Thanks Lawcruncher! That is hardly an equitable situation for the leaseholders, but if that’s case law then so be it.
              BTW I have residential properties in three separate developments and all have identical clauses to 3.1 and 3.2 as posted above...
              12-08-2022, 11:58 AM
              by Lawcruncher
              It is more than mere semantics. For a start, on a forum which purports to give legal advice, we should not be saying anything which is not true. "You have no ownership in the building" is not true.

A tenancy is a tenancy is a tenancy. All tenancies have something in common. However,...
              12-08-2022, 11:49 AM
            Working...
            X