Balcony repairs - lease issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balcony repairs - lease issue

Hi, new poster here, legal ignoramus. We live on the middle floor of a three story building (i.e. the British first floor), freehold jointly held as individual leases by all owners equally and managed by a residents' committee who employ estate managers. We and the flat above have balconies which are cantilevered extensions of the internal concrete floor/ceiling plates and extend between two adjacent flats on each floor, i.e. the balcony is a continuous concrete slab which connects four flats inside and out, two neighbouring below, two neighbouring above. The ground floor flat below us has our balcony as an external 'ceiling' which overshadows their access to the common garden. The lease for our flat states that we are responsible "for repairs to the balcony or balconies" and that we are responsible for internal ceilings and flooring.

There is a repair issue with all of the balconies. The flat below has been told by the estate managers that they as flat owners are responsible for the repairs to the underside of the balcony, i.e. the extension to their ceiling, while we are responsible for repairs to the upper surface (the extension of our floor) and the underside of the balcony on the flat above us (the extension of our ceiling). Conversely (maybe...), the wording of the lease implies we are responsible for the whole balcony, i.e. upper and lower surfaces, and none of the balcony to the floor above. The fact that the balconies are concrete slabs which are extensions of the internal floors and ceilings seems to me to complicate matters (it's not said in the lease if the floors/ceilings are "severed medially"). Just to add a little more spice, five years ago the estate managers unilaterally replaced all the balustrades to the balconies as part of the general service charge which all leaseholders pay, whether they have balconies or not.

I have no desire to cause a ruckus with neighbours, but I really do want to know exactly what we're liable for.

It is going to depend on the exact wording of the lease (definitions of things like "building" and so on). There is no external rule.

Comment

It should be a certain proportion of the total cost, surely? I don't see how you can apportion different amounts to different flats.
      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Can 'ceiling' apply to something outside the property? Seems a bit of stretch to me. Suggest you post the relevant part of the lease.

Comment

It sounds to me that the Estate Managers are wrong. From what you say, the balcony is exactly that, a balcony, it might be an extension of the downstairs ceiling but at the moment it passes through the wall it becomes your balcony. And, from what you say, you are responsible for its repair.

What is the nature of the repair?

Comment

It is not really possible to answer your question without knowing exactly what your lease says, please quote in full:

The "parcels" that is the part which describes what is included and (possibly) excluded.
            The tenant's repairing obligations
            The landlord's repairing obligations

Any relevant definitions

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Sale of Freehold - Tax to Pay
              by divadee
              Hi, I hope I can write this in a clear way that makes sense!

We bought a leaseholders flat in 2016, the next year we bought the limited company that held the freehold. This was done as no other leaseholder were interested in buying the freehold a few months prior to us buying our leasehold...
              16-08-2022, 16:37 PM
            • Reply to Sale of Freehold - Tax to Pay
              by sgclacy
              It would appear to have claimed roll over relief on the statutory lease extension where £14k was received - unless you had bought a property to roll over the gain this may have been premature

so on a base cost of £18k you will have received £12k plus £14k a gain of £8k so corp tax...
              16-08-2022, 19:53 PM
            • Reply to Ground rent arrears from executor
              by Martin448A
              Ground rent is £75 year, don’t have lease details with me but around 150 years
              16-08-2022, 19:51 PM
            • Ground rent arrears from executor
              by Martin448A
              Hi,
              received a letter out the blue from someone claiming to be the executor of the deceased freeholders of my leasehold maisonette. Have never receive ground rent request for payment for any of the years I have owned the property or has the other maisonette in my building.
              They are now requesting...
              16-08-2022, 00:30 AM
            • Reply to Sale of Freehold - Tax to Pay
              by Gordon999
              Here is my rough understanding of your situation :

1. Your purchase of the limited company for £17K in 2017 was probably entered in the company's accounts as funded by a "director's personal loan".

2. The limited company received £14K for granting...
              16-08-2022, 19:09 PM
            • Right To Pass and Re-Pass (Not to Obstruct)
              by LondonCalling
              I am the owner/occupier of a leasehold first floor flat in a converted property consisting of two flats. The freeholder owns and is the occupier of the ground floor leasehold flat. There is a passageway/right of way from the road along the side of the building to my ground floor front door entrance....
              16-08-2022, 16:26 PM
            • What constitutes ‘development’ in a leasehold
              by SouthernDave
              I’ve seen this question come up before, but I couldn’t find a topic specific to this question;
              we have bought a leasehold flat which needs major work. I have submitted drawings to the freeholder for their permission to put up a wall and make a new door way, BUT…
              changing the kitchen...
              15-08-2022, 16:50 PM
            • Reply to What constitutes ‘development’ in a leasehold
              by Gordon999
              If the wording in the lease does not state the boiler belongs to the lessor ( freeholder), then you can replace it without seeking consent from freeholder. Sometimes replacing old boiler may be a necessity if spare parts are no longer sold.

If you believe consent is required for boiler...
              16-08-2022, 16:07 PM
            • Reply to Ground rent arrears from executor
              by Gordon999
              Ash72 is correct. Ground rent in arrears can only be recovered for last 6 years. The GR must be demanded and served with proper notice by the freeholder or agent or executor , otherwise payment is not due ( and you can refuse to pay interest) .

How many years remaining on the lease...
              16-08-2022, 15:27 PM
            • Reply to What constitutes ‘development’ in a leasehold
              by Section20z
              In 40 years I have never been asked for consent to move a boiler but if a new flue hole was being made I would expect to be asked...
              16-08-2022, 13:23 PM
            Working...
            X