Property Purchase - Environment Search came back with....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property Purchase - Environment Search came back with....

Hi all. I have a question that was not linked to the same subject as my other topic so I figured it would make sense to create a new topic for this one.

I'm in the process of purchasing a flat and I have seen on one of the searches 'Environment' one to be specific - state "Further action required" because apparently within the last 25 years, there was a petrol filling station at the property's location or very close to the property's location. It states that because it was there at somepoint the land MAY be contaminated.

As this is all new to me... I raise the question, should I be concerned here? The property was built in 2006. There are many many homes in the area all around my particular block I cannot possibly believe the land could be contaminated, surely when it was constructed in 2006 checks would have been carried out to ensure the land was not contaminated?

I have (as per the advice in the report) sent an email to the local authority for further information but you know what they're like.... so I don't know how long until I will get a reply (if any..) so not sure exactly what to do on this one. It also makes refference to 'Radon' and suggesting this could be an issue too but I looked at my current property address and the new one, both have the same level (1-3% apparently) and I don't recall seeing this on the report when I got this property but perhaps I missed it (as a first time a buyer back then).

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Nothing to worry about for the usage of the property, but if anything negative is showing, consider the re-saleability of it. If you are worried yourself, will this put off your next purchaser.

Comment

When I was working and environmental searches first started to be available, a company offered a "free sample" and I did a search on the house I had been living in for some 15 years. If I had seen the report before I bought I would have been worried about whether I should proceed! The main problem with these reports is getting someone to assess their significance. Conveyancers (at least in their capacity as such) do not have the necessary technical expertise. A better bet is a surveyor who knows the area. A surveyor should be able to advise if an expert opinion is needed. The company which issued the search may also be able to recommend an expert.

Comment

Thanks guys, I've sent off an email to the Environment Agency as per the suggestion in the report itself but they can take a month to come back.

I will see how can I go about contacting a Surveyor see what they say, thanks for the advice

Comment

For ground contamination you would be better to seek out a hydrogeologist as they deal with ground water and contamination issues and its remediation. Much of their work is desk research and then followed by any necessary on site tests.

It is likely that full site tests and necessary clean-up were done prior to construction commencing and there will be environmental reports lodged with the local authority.

I suggest contacting a local geotechnical consultant who will have hydrogeologists on their payroll.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Sale of Freehold - Tax to Pay
            by divadee
            Hi, I hope I can write this in a clear way that makes sense!

We bought a leaseholders flat in 2016, the next year we bought the limited company that held the freehold. This was done as no other leaseholder were interested in buying the freehold a few months prior to us buying our leasehold...
            16-08-2022, 16:37 PM
          • Reply to Sale of Freehold - Tax to Pay
            by divadee
            And one last image as it only let me attach 2 at a time....
            16-08-2022, 20:09 PM
            by divadee
            Oh god I have a feeling something may have gone horribly wrong in all of this and we may of messed up! We have been advised by our management agents throughout all of this (who have managed the property for a good number of years as the previous freeholders used them as well) and just trusted what they...
            16-08-2022, 20:08 PM
            by sgclacy
            It would appear to have claimed roll over relief on the statutory lease extension where £14k was received - unless you had bought a property to roll over the gain this may have been premature

so on a base cost of £18k you will have received £12k plus £14k a gain of £8k so corp tax...
            16-08-2022, 19:53 PM
          • Reply to Ground rent arrears from executor
            by Martin448A
            Ground rent is £75 year, don’t have lease details with me but around 150 years
            16-08-2022, 19:51 PM
          • Ground rent arrears from executor
            by Martin448A
            Hi,
            received a letter out the blue from someone claiming to be the executor of the deceased freeholders of my leasehold maisonette. Have never receive ground rent request for payment for any of the years I have owned the property or has the other maisonette in my building.
            They are now requesting...
            16-08-2022, 00:30 AM
            by Gordon999
            Here is my rough understanding of your situation :

1. Your purchase of the limited company for £17K in 2017 was probably entered in the company's accounts as funded by a "director's personal loan".

2. The limited company received £14K for granting...
            16-08-2022, 19:09 PM
          • Right To Pass and Re-Pass (Not to Obstruct)
            by LondonCalling
            I am the owner/occupier of a leasehold first floor flat in a converted property consisting of two flats. The freeholder owns and is the occupier of the ground floor leasehold flat. There is a passageway/right of way from the road along the side of the building to my ground floor front door entrance....
            16-08-2022, 16:26 PM
          • What constitutes ‘development’ in a leasehold
            by SouthernDave
            I’ve seen this question come up before, but I couldn’t find a topic specific to this question;
            we have bought a leasehold flat which needs major work. I have submitted drawings to the freeholder for their permission to put up a wall and make a new door way, BUT…
            changing the kitchen...
            15-08-2022, 16:50 PM
          • Reply to What constitutes ‘development’ in a leasehold
            by Gordon999
            If the wording in the lease does not state the boiler belongs to the lessor ( freeholder), then you can replace it without seeking consent from freeholder. Sometimes replacing old boiler may be a necessity if spare parts are no longer sold.

If you believe consent is required for boiler...
            16-08-2022, 16:07 PM
          Working...
          X