Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I report a breach of contract? Assistance needed

Hello,

I've come to ask your advice for the following situation.

I have a lease in a shared freehold of two apartments on the first floor and ground floor of a house that has been converted.

Almost two years ago, the second floor was purchased by an owner who made a three year contract with the Council to house people in need.

With the first 2 families, everything went well, but since October, we have been living a nightmare.
    It is a woman with 4 small children and a big dog.
    We hear noise 24 hours a day. I work from home and it is impossible for me to have online meetings because she is either playing loud music, screaming, or the kids are crying.
    We hear people running, jumping, all day and night. When they go down or up the stairs, because they are running, it sounds like an earthquake. They bang entrance door when coming in, when coming out.
    The dog does its business in my garden.

I have to put the bins out for her in the street regularly on collection days.

She vandalized our doorbell, we don't even have a doorbell anymore, because the bailiffs who came to her would ring my doorbell first.
    She leaves a child's stroller in the hallway, blocking access to our own apartment.

Because it is impossible for me to work from home, I set up my office in the conservatory and it cost me a fortune in heating last winter. I'm thinking about next winter, I can't afford such high costs for heating.

The dog barks a lot, every time we come home they assault us through the door, often starts barking for no reason in the middle of the night. I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

I wanted to ask you if I can turn to the owner of the apartment upstairs for breach of contract.

I thank you for your advice and wish you a good summer.

Sincerely

Michelle, sorry English not my native🤨

Breach of which contract?

Comment

Landlord upstairs share a freehold lease. Thanks

Comment

That sounds awful, first stop would be advise the joint freeholder that they are in breach of lease , is there a no dogs clause perhaps ?

Comment

Usually, leases require consent from the freeholder for subletting. Since u jointly own the freehold with the other lessee, did u give consent for the other lessee to sublet his flat?

Comment

Read your lease

Comment

No, I did not give consent. I am going to read the lease🫣… and will let you know… language in British lease is so complex…..but I need to do this asap and come back to my post, Thankmyou.

Comment

Bear in mind that if there is any breach of contract, it is likely that the contract is with the freeholder, not you. So you will be asking your fellow lessee to cooperate in a process where he sues himself.

I'm afraid that you decided to purchase
                - a lease/leasehold property
                - where it is share of freehold

You should have been properly advised as to the risks of doing that, and decided on an appropriate price for that lease bearing in mind the risk given the poor quality of legislation and a court system/policing system that don't care much about you. In reality there is going to be very little you can do about the things you mention, and if you try to sell you will have to declare that you have attempted to deal with them to a prospective purchaser. I suggest that you just quietly sell to a gullible buyer.

Comment

Hello,

I have read the lease. What can I say? Permission should be asked for the dog, there are some restrictions for the noise etc…
                  I share a freehold with saying Mister A. Mister A has sold his rights of the lease to the Council for 3 years. I have not been informed about it. Mister A confirmed today that he is not even able to check his property during the 3 years.

Comment

It is extremely hard to know what advice to give about what to do in these sorts of situations. There is no easy (or even difficult) legal remedy, and the fact that you share the ownership of the freehold makes things harder rather than easier.

I'm sorry to say it, but your best option might be to quietly sell your flat without creating a dispute. The only other real alternative is to apply to the FTT for appointment of a manager (effectively taking over the management of the building entirely). The problem with this is that for a block of only two flats this will be excruciatingly expensive (if you can find a willing manager at all), and there is no guarantee the tribunal will order the manager to deal with the issues of which you complain. It will also only be temporary, but will likely make your flat unsaleable.

Suppose the real issue is what the breaches are - your fellow freeholder will say he gave permission for the dog, and even if he did not, the government want people to have as many dogs in flats as possible regardless of what the owner wants. You haven't given us evidence from your lease that he is not entitled to pass his lease onto the council.

You could consider selling your flat to the other owner after testing the market. It might be attractive to him, and you could save on estate agent fees.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Residents Management Company Building insurance
                      by fos333
                      This is a very usual arrangement where the freeholder pockets all the gains, i.e., ground rent and insurance (possibly including a large commission) and the RMC is responsible for managing all the repair and maintenance obligations (either by self managing or appointing a managing agent).
                      17-08-2022, 20:48 PM
                    • Residents Management Company Building insurance
                      by GordonClose
                      I am a Director of an RMC and the Freeholder insists it is their right to arrange the insurance. Have I the same right as an RTM to take over the arrangement of insurance?
                      15-08-2022, 14:26 PM
                    • Reply to Sale of Freehold - Tax to Pay
                      by sgclacy
                      If the total gains are below the Annual Exemption and total proceeds does not exceed four times the Annual Exemption, you are not required to report the matter to HMRC

However, as I suspected the company held the freehold in trust for you, you should have reported the ground rent income...
                      17-08-2022, 20:31 PM
                    • Sale of Freehold - Tax to Pay
                      by divadee
                      Hi, I hope I can write this in a clear way that makes sense!

We bought a leaseholders flat in 2016, the next year we bought the limited company that held the freehold. This was done as no other leaseholder were interested in buying the freehold a few months prior to us buying our leasehold...
                      16-08-2022, 16:37 PM
                      by flyingfreehold
                      It seems that its all worked out pretty favourably. Well done!
                      17-08-2022, 19:52 PM
                      by divadee
                      You have said exactly what the accountants said to us today. Basically the freehold was never added to the limited company as an asset (before we bought it) and as such it would just be cgt that was due and as its only 8k no cgt is due. They said not to bother with a return for it. We are having the...
                      17-08-2022, 19:22 PM
                    • Electric meter Freeholder or leaseholder
                      by CLProperties
                      I manage a property with four flats. The landlord owns the freehold for the flats and is also the leaseholder for the two downstairs flats.

The leasehold of the two upstairs flats is owned by someone else who employs a managing agent. The managing agent has contacted me about an issue...
                      17-08-2022, 15:53 PM
                    • Reply to Electric meter Freeholder or leaseholder
                      by CLProperties
                      Many thanks for your responses.

I did deal with the query. It just seemed excessive to ask me to get involved.

Thanks again for the information about meters.

Always learning....
                      17-08-2022, 19:03 PM
                    • Right To Pass and Re-Pass (Not to Obstruct)
                      by LondonCalling
                      I am the owner/occupier of a leasehold first floor flat in a converted property consisting of two flats. The freeholder owns and is the occupier of the ground floor leasehold flat. There is a passageway/right of way from the road along the side of the building to my ground floor front door entrance....
                      16-08-2022, 16:26 PM
                    • Reply to Right To Pass and Re-Pass (Not to Obstruct)
                      by Lawcruncher
                      It is.

On reflection the covenant may not be enforceable as it is a covenant by the tenant with the landlord. It will only be enforceable if your lease gives you the right to require the landlord to enforce the covenants in the other lease. That will though lead to a bit of a conundrum...
                      17-08-2022, 18:13 PM
                    Working...
                    X