Need licence/consent from freeholder for installing new boiler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hhy,

Why did they have to pay a solicitor or bailiff to receive your application. There was no other cost of them receiving it. So no.

Comment

This is very interesting. We are just about to complete on a large 1 bed flat. I want to turn it into a 2 bed flat but the lease states that freeholder permission must be sought. It doesn’t mention any fees payable.
      when going into the website, they state that they charge £250 just to consider the request.
      reading some of these posts, does it mean that this £250 is not legally chargeable? Because it doesn’t note any charges on the lease?
      (sorry to hijack a post!)

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernDave View Post
        This is very interesting. We are just about to complete on a large 1 bed flat. I want to turn it into a 2 bed flat but the lease states that freeholder permission must be sought. It doesn’t mention any fees payable.
        when going into the website, they state that they charge £250 just to consider the request.
        reading some of these posts, does it mean that this £250 is not legally chargeable? Because it doesn’t note any charges on the lease?
        Well that is a whole different ballgame. Here they can charge a full wack for surveyors, structural engineers and might well refuse altogether. You cover all actual costs (in contrast to this OPs issue where there are no discernible costs)

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

Well that is a whole different ballgame. Here they can charge a full wack for surveyors, structural engineers and might well refuse altogether. You cover all actual costs (in contrast to this OPs issue where there are no discernible costs)
          Is that right though? Freeholder could charge surveyors fees for the OP situation by what you’ve just said there.

Comment

Yes but the freeholder did not engage a surveyor in the OPs case, or at least if they did they would have a hard time making a case for doing so based on an enquiry about a boiler.

Nobody but you is going to bear actual legitimate costs - certainly not the FH or other lessees.

Comment

SouthernDave , you are talking about changing fabric of the building - the freeholder has a right to tell you no, so you need to convince him to tell yes.

In the case of OP - he is replacing old fridge for new fridge, if there are no changes to the fabric of the building i.e. new flue - nothing to do with the freeholder.

Comment

I’m not sure I see why these two things are different. But ok.

Comment

Originally posted by hhy View Post
                  "To pay to the Company on an indemnity basis all costs fees charges disbursements and expenses (including without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing those payable to counsel solicitors surveyors and bailiffs) incurred by the Company in relation or incidental to:-

1. every application made by the Purchaser for a consent or licence required or made necessary by provisions of this Lease whether the same be granted or refused proffered subject to any qualification or condition or whether the application be withdrawn
                  You only need to make one application, not an application to see if you need to make an application and then another application.

An alteration is only structural if it affects the structure, which can be taken to be the parts which support it and enclose it. It includes the foundations, external and load bearing walls, roof, beams, lintels and floors. Non-structural parts include any of the following which are non-load-bearing: windows, doors, internal walls and the fixtures and fittings. If the installation of the new system does not affect the structure then the alteration is not structural.

"Layout" is a wide word. It is arguable that here it means the layout of the rooms, rather than including fixtures and fittings. If the intention was to refer to appliances such as those that heat water it would surely have been made clear. If the repairing obligations imposed on the tenant include an obligation to keep the fixtures and fittings in repair, then whatever the lease says about consent for alterations does not apply because a tenant does not need the landlord's consent to carry out his obligations.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernDave View Post
                    See post 23.

A landlord can recover some expenses. Chapter and verse is section 19(2) of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1927:

In all leases whether made before or after the commencement of this Act containing a covenant condition or agreement against the making of improvements without a licence or consent, such covenant condition or agreement shall be deemed, notwithstanding any express provision to the contrary, to be subject to a proviso that such licence or consent is not to be unreasonably withheld; but this proviso does not preclude the right to require as a condition of such licence or consent the payment of a reasonable sum in respect of any damage to or diminution in the value of the premises or any neighbouring premises belonging to the landlord, and of any legal or other expenses properly incurred in connection with such licence or consent nor, in the case of an improvement which does not add to the letting value of the holding, does it preclude the right to require as a condition of such licence or consent, where such a requirement would be reasonable, an undertaking on the part of the tenant to reinstate the premises in the condition in which they were before the improvement was executed.

Comment

I suggest you put the new boiler in.

The fact that it is a combi is irrelevant, it's a 'gas fired boiler' and will be using the same flue exit.

You could just leave the redundant tank sitting unused, that way there is no modification.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will go ahead and put the new boiler in.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Ground Rent review
                          by Century
                          United Scientific Holdings v Burnley Borough Council

Does this case mean that for a residential lease failure to give notice of GR increase during the review period doesn't matter? I.e review can be at any time, even after specified review date?
                          11-08-2022, 14:47 PM
                        • Reply to Ground Rent review
                          by Century
                          Interesting!
                          But it doesn’t stop them doing it though.

On one site I’m contesting a GR increase that puts it above £250 pa (outside inner London) with the obvious ramifications. On another the increase is 33% - from £37.50 to £50 per 6 months, so have to balance the cost benefit...
                          12-08-2022, 14:31 PM
                          by Lawcruncher
                          A section 166 notice relating to the reviewed rent cannot be served until the rent has been quantified.
                          12-08-2022, 14:03 PM
                          by Century
                          Not the same developer - 3 different ones. Don’t know about conveyancer.

Counter notice will be served of course. S166 notice also defective for Wales - I won’t go into details in case there are spies from freeholder and/or their agent.🥸...
                          12-08-2022, 12:56 PM
                          by Lawcruncher
                          I think the way the law sees it is that the tenant has a lease with the provision in it and knows that on certain dates the rent will increase and on what basis.

Must be the same developer and/or conveyancer.

Having a rent review for a ground rent is not generally...
                          12-08-2022, 12:18 PM
                        • Reply to Freeholder Premium to consent
                          by Limply
                          According to the lease, the roof and the roof structure are included in the Demised Premises. There is no mention of the space above the roof.

And wow I wasn't expecting that many answers! In any case, the other leaseholder (we are only 2 in the house) is open to buying the freehold so...
                          12-08-2022, 12:17 PM
                        • Freeholder Premium to consent
                          by Limply
                          Hi all,

I am looking at extending my leasehold flat by adding a newbuild next to the loft (will be erected on top of the first floor). I have just asked my freeholder for the process to follow. In the past they have asked me to pay a "Landlord’s premium for the consent to be established
                          11-08-2022, 16:20 PM
                          by AndrewDod
                          Not sure it does suggest that (either the no-ownership or the inferiority). A contract can be an asset in itself.

Some contracts are worth a lot (A New York Yellow Taxi Token was worth a $million until Uber came along).

Yes "You have no ownership in the building"...
                          12-08-2022, 12:12 PM
                          by Century
                          Thanks Lawcruncher! That is hardly an equitable situation for the leaseholders, but if that’s case law then so be it.
                          BTW I have residential properties in three separate developments and all have identical clauses to 3.1 and 3.2 as posted above...
                          12-08-2022, 11:58 AM
                          by Lawcruncher
                          It is more than mere semantics. For a start, on a forum which purports to give legal advice, we should not be saying anything which is not true. "You have no ownership in the building" is not true.

A tenancy is a tenancy is a tenancy. All tenancies have something in common. However,...
                          12-08-2022, 11:49 AM
                        Working...
                        X