Need licence/consent from freeholder for installing new boiler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hhy,

Why did they have to pay a solicitor or bailiff to receive your application. There was no other cost of them receiving it. So no.

Comment

This is very interesting. We are just about to complete on a large 1 bed flat. I want to turn it into a 2 bed flat but the lease states that freeholder permission must be sought. It doesn’t mention any fees payable.
      when going into the website, they state that they charge £250 just to consider the request.
      reading some of these posts, does it mean that this £250 is not legally chargeable? Because it doesn’t note any charges on the lease?
      (sorry to hijack a post!)

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernDave View Post
        This is very interesting. We are just about to complete on a large 1 bed flat. I want to turn it into a 2 bed flat but the lease states that freeholder permission must be sought. It doesn’t mention any fees payable.
        when going into the website, they state that they charge £250 just to consider the request.
        reading some of these posts, does it mean that this £250 is not legally chargeable? Because it doesn’t note any charges on the lease?
        Well that is a whole different ballgame. Here they can charge a full wack for surveyors, structural engineers and might well refuse altogether. You cover all actual costs (in contrast to this OPs issue where there are no discernible costs)

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

Well that is a whole different ballgame. Here they can charge a full wack for surveyors, structural engineers and might well refuse altogether. You cover all actual costs (in contrast to this OPs issue where there are no discernible costs)
          Is that right though? Freeholder could charge surveyors fees for the OP situation by what you’ve just said there.

Comment

Yes but the freeholder did not engage a surveyor in the OPs case, or at least if they did they would have a hard time making a case for doing so based on an enquiry about a boiler.

Nobody but you is going to bear actual legitimate costs - certainly not the FH or other lessees.

Comment

SouthernDave , you are talking about changing fabric of the building - the freeholder has a right to tell you no, so you need to convince him to tell yes.

In the case of OP - he is replacing old fridge for new fridge, if there are no changes to the fabric of the building i.e. new flue - nothing to do with the freeholder.

Comment

I’m not sure I see why these two things are different. But ok.

Comment

Originally posted by hhy View Post
                  "To pay to the Company on an indemnity basis all costs fees charges disbursements and expenses (including without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing those payable to counsel solicitors surveyors and bailiffs) incurred by the Company in relation or incidental to:-

1. every application made by the Purchaser for a consent or licence required or made necessary by provisions of this Lease whether the same be granted or refused proffered subject to any qualification or condition or whether the application be withdrawn
                  You only need to make one application, not an application to see if you need to make an application and then another application.

An alteration is only structural if it affects the structure, which can be taken to be the parts which support it and enclose it. It includes the foundations, external and load bearing walls, roof, beams, lintels and floors. Non-structural parts include any of the following which are non-load-bearing: windows, doors, internal walls and the fixtures and fittings. If the installation of the new system does not affect the structure then the alteration is not structural.

"Layout" is a wide word. It is arguable that here it means the layout of the rooms, rather than including fixtures and fittings. If the intention was to refer to appliances such as those that heat water it would surely have been made clear. If the repairing obligations imposed on the tenant include an obligation to keep the fixtures and fittings in repair, then whatever the lease says about consent for alterations does not apply because a tenant does not need the landlord's consent to carry out his obligations.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernDave View Post
                    See post 23.

A landlord can recover some expenses. Chapter and verse is section 19(2) of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1927:

In all leases whether made before or after the commencement of this Act containing a covenant condition or agreement against the making of improvements without a licence or consent, such covenant condition or agreement shall be deemed, notwithstanding any express provision to the contrary, to be subject to a proviso that such licence or consent is not to be unreasonably withheld; but this proviso does not preclude the right to require as a condition of such licence or consent the payment of a reasonable sum in respect of any damage to or diminution in the value of the premises or any neighbouring premises belonging to the landlord, and of any legal or other expenses properly incurred in connection with such licence or consent nor, in the case of an improvement which does not add to the letting value of the holding, does it preclude the right to require as a condition of such licence or consent, where such a requirement would be reasonable, an undertaking on the part of the tenant to reinstate the premises in the condition in which they were before the improvement was executed.

Comment

I suggest you put the new boiler in.

The fact that it is a combi is irrelevant, it's a 'gas fired boiler' and will be using the same flue exit.

You could just leave the redundant tank sitting unused, that way there is no modification.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will go ahead and put the new boiler in.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Residents Management Company Building insurance
                          by GordonClose
                          I am a Director of an RMC and the Freeholder insists it is their right to arrange the insurance. Have I the same right as an RTM to take over the arrangement of insurance?
                          15-08-2022, 14:26 PM
                        • Reply to Residents Management Company Building insurance
                          by fos333
                          This is a very usual arrangement where the freeholder pockets all the gains, i.e., ground rent and insurance (possibly including a large commission) and the RMC is responsible for managing all the repair and maintenance obligations (either by self managing or appointing a managing agent).
                          17-08-2022, 20:48 PM
                        • Reply to Sale of Freehold - Tax to Pay
                          by sgclacy
                          If the total gains are below the Annual Exemption and total proceeds does not exceed four times the Annual Exemption, you are not required to report the matter to HMRC

However, as I suspected the company held the freehold in trust for you, you should have reported the ground rent income...
                          17-08-2022, 20:31 PM
                        • Sale of Freehold - Tax to Pay
                          by divadee
                          Hi, I hope I can write this in a clear way that makes sense!

We bought a leaseholders flat in 2016, the next year we bought the limited company that held the freehold. This was done as no other leaseholder were interested in buying the freehold a few months prior to us buying our leasehold...
                          16-08-2022, 16:37 PM
                          by flyingfreehold
                          It seems that its all worked out pretty favourably. Well done!
                          17-08-2022, 19:52 PM
                          by divadee
                          You have said exactly what the accountants said to us today. Basically the freehold was never added to the limited company as an asset (before we bought it) and as such it would just be cgt that was due and as its only 8k no cgt is due. They said not to bother with a return for it. We are having the...
                          17-08-2022, 19:22 PM
                        • Electric meter Freeholder or leaseholder
                          by CLProperties
                          I manage a property with four flats. The landlord owns the freehold for the flats and is also the leaseholder for the two downstairs flats.

The leasehold of the two upstairs flats is owned by someone else who employs a managing agent. The managing agent has contacted me about an issue...
                          17-08-2022, 15:53 PM
                        • Reply to Electric meter Freeholder or leaseholder
                          by CLProperties
                          Many thanks for your responses.

I did deal with the query. It just seemed excessive to ask me to get involved.

Thanks again for the information about meters.

Always learning....
                          17-08-2022, 19:03 PM
                        • Reply to Right To Pass and Re-Pass (Not to Obstruct)
                          by Lawcruncher
                          It is.

On reflection the covenant may not be enforceable as it is a covenant by the tenant with the landlord. It will only be enforceable if your lease gives you the right to require the landlord to enforce the covenants in the other lease. That will though lead to a bit of a conundrum...
                          17-08-2022, 18:13 PM
                        • Right To Pass and Re-Pass (Not to Obstruct)
                          by LondonCalling
                          I am the owner/occupier of a leasehold first floor flat in a converted property consisting of two flats. The freeholder owns and is the occupier of the ground floor leasehold flat. There is a passageway/right of way from the road along the side of the building to my ground floor front door entrance....
                          16-08-2022, 16:26 PM
                        Working...
                        X