RTM Company Member Incorporation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please identify the legislation to support that statement.

Comment

The RTM Companies (Model Articles) (England) Regulations 2009. Clause 26.

This sets out clearly what entitlement to become a member looks like, and that the directors must register the member when they are satisfied of entitlement. Adding a condition of payment (and refusing to register a member unless this condition is met) would be a breach of the articles.

Comment

I disagree, the Articles do not exclude other conditions from applying. A leaseholder cannot expect to become a member on better terms than the original members ie without paying a proportion of the start up costs.

Comment

The legislation is quite clear that the directors must register a member of the company when they are entitled to be a member, entitlement to be a member is being a qualifying leaseholder, not subject to any payment, apologies but it would be illegal to proceed the way you are suggesting.

Comment

The model Articles state that the application to become a member is subject to the “provisions of the Articles …. and any rules made under those Articles”. So there is no reason why the directors cannot ask the leaseholder to pay a contribution towards the initial costs.

I cannot find any specific guidance on how to deal with those costs therefore alternative methods are permissible. It must follow that the method used should be reasonable and it cannot be considered reasonable for the initial members to pay all the costs whilst subsequent applicants become equal members having paid no contribution at all.

It is not unusual for the costs to be recovered in this manner. Alternatively, members may grant loans to the RTM Company, which may repay the loans from other income. I have also seen the costs recovered as service charges in year 1 but that could possibly be challenged by a leaseholder.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Residents Management Company Building insurance
              by fos333
              This is a very usual arrangement where the freeholder pockets all the gains, i.e., ground rent and insurance (possibly including a large commission) and the RMC is responsible for managing all the repair and maintenance obligations (either by self managing or appointing a managing agent).
              17-08-2022, 20:48 PM
            • Residents Management Company Building insurance
              by GordonClose
              I am a Director of an RMC and the Freeholder insists it is their right to arrange the insurance. Have I the same right as an RTM to take over the arrangement of insurance?
              15-08-2022, 14:26 PM
            • Reply to Sale of Freehold - Tax to Pay
              by sgclacy
              If the total gains are below the Annual Exemption and total proceeds does not exceed four times the Annual Exemption, you are not required to report the matter to HMRC

However, as I suspected the company held the freehold in trust for you, you should have reported the ground rent income...
              17-08-2022, 20:31 PM
            • Sale of Freehold - Tax to Pay
              by divadee
              Hi, I hope I can write this in a clear way that makes sense!

We bought a leaseholders flat in 2016, the next year we bought the limited company that held the freehold. This was done as no other leaseholder were interested in buying the freehold a few months prior to us buying our leasehold...
              16-08-2022, 16:37 PM
              by flyingfreehold
              It seems that its all worked out pretty favourably. Well done!
              17-08-2022, 19:52 PM
              by divadee
              You have said exactly what the accountants said to us today. Basically the freehold was never added to the limited company as an asset (before we bought it) and as such it would just be cgt that was due and as its only 8k no cgt is due. They said not to bother with a return for it. We are having the...
              17-08-2022, 19:22 PM
            • Electric meter Freeholder or leaseholder
              by CLProperties
              I manage a property with four flats. The landlord owns the freehold for the flats and is also the leaseholder for the two downstairs flats.

The leasehold of the two upstairs flats is owned by someone else who employs a managing agent. The managing agent has contacted me about an issue...
              17-08-2022, 15:53 PM
            • Reply to Electric meter Freeholder or leaseholder
              by CLProperties
              Many thanks for your responses.

I did deal with the query. It just seemed excessive to ask me to get involved.

Thanks again for the information about meters.

Always learning....
              17-08-2022, 19:03 PM
            • Right To Pass and Re-Pass (Not to Obstruct)
              by LondonCalling
              I am the owner/occupier of a leasehold first floor flat in a converted property consisting of two flats. The freeholder owns and is the occupier of the ground floor leasehold flat. There is a passageway/right of way from the road along the side of the building to my ground floor front door entrance....
              16-08-2022, 16:26 PM
            • Reply to Right To Pass and Re-Pass (Not to Obstruct)
              by Lawcruncher
              It is.

On reflection the covenant may not be enforceable as it is a covenant by the tenant with the landlord. It will only be enforceable if your lease gives you the right to require the landlord to enforce the covenants in the other lease. That will though lead to a bit of a conundrum...
              17-08-2022, 18:13 PM
            Working...
            X