Surveyor's fees prior to decoration works being done.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surveyor's fees prior to decoration works being done.

Looking at the service charge accounts for our long leasehold flat, I see that there is a £3000 charge for "obtaining tenders, analysis and report issuing" relating to decoration work. This is stated as being calculated at 60% for an interim payment of the total to be charged which will be calculated as 10% plus VAT of the lowest tender figure. So effectively 12% of the cost of the works.

Bearing in mind that there is a managing agent also being paid to arrange the yearly maintenance, does anyone have any thoughts on the reasonableness of the managing agent instructing an additional surveyor (in a sister company), in light of the fact that the invoice is dated 30 September 2021 and no works have actually happened yet?

Totally unreasonable. You do not need a surveyor to tell you if a property needs painting. The managing agent should be the one who puts out tenders. They are paid to manage.

Comment

Hi,

What is the set up and how many flats are involved?

Without the above it is rather difficult to know if this is reasonable or not.

Many managing agents charge 10% or more for conducting section 20 consultation and would depend on the management agreement.

The following may be of help;

https://www.servicechargedisputeguid...on-20-notices/

Comment

Why should a charge be made for conducting a section 20 consultation? It is part of management. It seems that agents want a retainer for doing nothing much and then to be paid for actually doing some work.

Comment

Lawcruncher I'm not saying they should or shouldn't but more information is required from OP to determine whether this is reasonable or not.

Other factors to consider would be how much is the management fee per flat? And as stated in #3 what is in the management agreement?

Comment

Thanks for your input and sorry for the delayed responses:

There are 11 flats and the managing agent charges approx. £3600 per year to manage the block. I'm not party to the managing agents management agreement.

The managing agent doesn't appear to have charged anything extra to issue the Section 20 but the issue is the 60% of the 10% of the lowest tender charged so far for, "obtaining tenders, analysis and report issuing". I would mention again - at the risk of overemphasising - that no works have actually been carried out 9 months after the invoice was raised.

Comment

Is there a management company involved of which you are a member?

Or just 2 parties to the lease, the leaseholders and the freeholder (who has appointed a managing agent).

Did you receive S20 consultation notices?

https://www.lease-advice.org/faq/wha...r-major-works/

From your 1st post it would appear the cost is shown on your service charge accounts? It would also appear to be a large cost to the 11 leaseholders if the quoted £3,000 is 12% of the total cost.

The works can't be started until the funds are available, maybe the reason for the delay?

Comment

Often the managing agent just manages day to day site needs and finance but excludes 'projects' such external redecoration, roof replacement or other non-routine activities which are considered extra work. I would consider it fair to charge for all these 'project' actions.

Does rather depend on the managing agent's agreement/contract of course.

Comment

Thanks again for your inputs. In response,

There are just 2 parties to the lease, the leaseholders and the freehold company which has appointed a managing agent.

Yes, S20 consultation notices were received although they only refer to the works as opposed to the cost of "obtaining tenders, analysis and report issuing".

The cost is shown in the Service Charge accounts but shown as deducted from the reserve fund.

It's not been stated yet but I can see that the quotes for the works are maybe 40% higher than the amount held in the reserve fund.

Comment

I've now heard from the managing agent that the freeholders decided - presumably because they don't have enough funds in reserve - that they will only carry out a limited range of works. The lowest quote for the reduced scope of works is c. £6300.

This means that the freeholder paid £3000 in surveyor fees of which only £630 (10% of £6300) related to work that will actually be done.

So the question remains, is it legitimate for the leaseholders to have to pay for the whole £3000?

Comment

I would certainly be asking the managing agent if the cost of "obtaining tenders, analysis and report issuing" is going to be re-evaluated now that the total cost of the planned range of works has been considerably reduced.

An additional cost should be expected for the statutory consultation. Our current managing agent charges £10 per unit (39), however, also charges an additional amount for project management (to be agreed with client per project).

We have also been charged for S20 consultation in the past when carrying out internal and external decoration when the cost has been met from the reserve fund.

Do you have support from the other leaseholders?

Comment

Originally posted by fos333 View Post
                        Do you have support from the other leaseholders?
                        It depends if the fault lies with the Managing Agent or if you fault lies with the freeholder.

I would have the support of 20% of the leaseholders but the remainder of them are shareholders in the freehold company so if it's a claim against the freeholder then not likely to have their support (although I think only one of the shareholders makes the decisions).

Comment

You only have a contract with the freeholder so it would be a claim of the cost being unreasonable against the freeholder (in this case a limited company).

I can't see those leaseholders, who are also shareholders of the freehold company, wanting to pay costs that have not been correctly incurred any more than you do.

Are they all directors of the company? You can ask either the directors of the company or the managing agent to provide you with a breakdown of the £3,000 that is shown on your latest service charge accounts.

You can also ask the managing agent to provide you with a basic summary of their terms and duties, including all fees as per RICS Code of Practice 3rd Edition, pg 12 para 3.2;

https://www.rics.org/globalassets/ri...ition-rics.pdf

Comment

Are they all directors of the company? You can ask either the directors of the company or the managing agent to provide you with a breakdown of the £3,000 that is shown on your latest service charge accounts.
                            [/url]
                            Thanks again for your input - in answer to your question, "are they all directors?" - there are 4 current directors but 2 of them are from one single flat and 2 from another single flat.

Comment

[/url]
                              As part of my examination, I now discover that not only was a surveyor instructed at 10% of tender value but the managing agent also charges 10% too! (Oh and circa £750 for issuing the Section 20 notices

Has anyone else experienced this?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Residents Management Company Building insurance
                                by fos333
                                This is a very usual arrangement where the freeholder pockets all the gains, i.e., ground rent and insurance (possibly including a large commission) and the RMC is responsible for managing all the repair and maintenance obligations (either by self managing or appointing a managing agent).
                                17-08-2022, 20:48 PM
                              • Residents Management Company Building insurance
                                by GordonClose
                                I am a Director of an RMC and the Freeholder insists it is their right to arrange the insurance. Have I the same right as an RTM to take over the arrangement of insurance?
                                15-08-2022, 14:26 PM
                              • Reply to Sale of Freehold - Tax to Pay
                                by sgclacy
                                If the total gains are below the Annual Exemption and total proceeds does not exceed four times the Annual Exemption, you are not required to report the matter to HMRC

However, as I suspected the company held the freehold in trust for you, you should have reported the ground rent income...
                                17-08-2022, 20:31 PM
                              • Sale of Freehold - Tax to Pay
                                by divadee
                                Hi, I hope I can write this in a clear way that makes sense!

We bought a leaseholders flat in 2016, the next year we bought the limited company that held the freehold. This was done as no other leaseholder were interested in buying the freehold a few months prior to us buying our leasehold...
                                16-08-2022, 16:37 PM
                                by flyingfreehold
                                It seems that its all worked out pretty favourably. Well done!
                                17-08-2022, 19:52 PM
                                by divadee
                                You have said exactly what the accountants said to us today. Basically the freehold was never added to the limited company as an asset (before we bought it) and as such it would just be cgt that was due and as its only 8k no cgt is due. They said not to bother with a return for it. We are having the...
                                17-08-2022, 19:22 PM
                              • Electric meter Freeholder or leaseholder
                                by CLProperties
                                I manage a property with four flats. The landlord owns the freehold for the flats and is also the leaseholder for the two downstairs flats.

The leasehold of the two upstairs flats is owned by someone else who employs a managing agent. The managing agent has contacted me about an issue...
                                17-08-2022, 15:53 PM
                              • Reply to Electric meter Freeholder or leaseholder
                                by CLProperties
                                Many thanks for your responses.

I did deal with the query. It just seemed excessive to ask me to get involved.

Thanks again for the information about meters.

Always learning....
                                17-08-2022, 19:03 PM
                              • Reply to Right To Pass and Re-Pass (Not to Obstruct)
                                by Lawcruncher
                                It is.

On reflection the covenant may not be enforceable as it is a covenant by the tenant with the landlord. It will only be enforceable if your lease gives you the right to require the landlord to enforce the covenants in the other lease. That will though lead to a bit of a conundrum...
                                17-08-2022, 18:13 PM
                              • Right To Pass and Re-Pass (Not to Obstruct)
                                by LondonCalling
                                I am the owner/occupier of a leasehold first floor flat in a converted property consisting of two flats. The freeholder owns and is the occupier of the ground floor leasehold flat. There is a passageway/right of way from the road along the side of the building to my ground floor front door entrance....
                                16-08-2022, 16:26 PM
                              Working...
                              X