Building works & S20 process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building works & S20 process

Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance works this Summer and therefore a S20 process is needed ASAP. (the leaseholder are keen to do works asap and are Ok with the latest quotes)

Is this something I could get a surveyor to do?
    I feel more comfortable with a professional completing the S20 process.

Any advice?

It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.

Comment

If the work is 'contracted' by the leaseholders rather than the freeholder does that remove the requirement for a S20?

eg if the 4x leaseholders wish to accept a quote and get the works done (including making payment) does this avoid S20 consultation?

Comment

What if something goes wrong ? You need a surveyor to safeguard your interests. There are some untrustworthy roofers, and other trades.
        It is better to follow standard procedures. From experience I would not follow informal routes. O.K when everyone reasonable and cooperative but things can change......
        Honestly the admin is straightforward.

Comment

The question is what are the works and what is the cost of them
          Does the lease allow you to appoint the professional and pay for the services via leaseholder?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna1985 View Post
            The question is what are the works and what is the cost of them
            Does the lease allow you to appoint the professional and pay for the services via leaseholder?
            Good questions.
            The fact that the cost of work means that Section 20 consultation is required doesn't necessarily mean that it is major work that will require a project manager and, although most leases will contain clauses that allow the cost of project management to be recovered from leaseholders, this isn't necessarily the case.

The costs of hiring a project manager need to be considered alongside the expected total cost of the actual works.

Comment

The S20 consultation with leaseholders is required for any planned works which exceed £250 cost per flat.

If any planned works are quoted below £1000, you could place the order on the supplier with lowest quote. .

If the freeholder is self- managing the building maintenance, the RICS Residential Management Code is the guide to follow.( see draft below )

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...0160518_en.pdf

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X