Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease Extension - Relativity

Hoping to get some clarification,

If a flat (Outside Greater London) with 60 years left is sold for £110,000 and comparable properties with longer leases attain £160,000

What is the relativity in this case?

Would it be £110000 less 5.5% (to estimate for no act rights) = £103950, divided by Long lease value of £160000 = 65%?

According to the Gerald Eve graph the proxy is 81%

So why such a large difference?

Because it is a highly complicated subject and only the finest brains in the land can grapple with the subject - that is what the valuers will say .

Gerald eve graph is highly respected and is one of the many that the Tribunal will rely on

it is interesting that if you discount the reversion by 4% in most cases marriage value more or less disappears - the government in its desire to make the calculation easier quicker and cheaper have commited to abolishing marriage value - but a long overdue correction is required to the deferment rate and I can’t help thinking that lowering to 4% will appease the vested interest groups and deliver a quicker way to calculate the premium and save the lessee costs - so delivering in a promise but not as generous as first thought to lessees

Comment

I for one would appreciate a more stable approach in deriving the premium...

In this instance what would

1. The sensible premium be?

A)£32000 (based on the value the actual short lease was just sold for i.e Relativity 65%)
      or
      B)£20,000 (based on graph evidence from wider studies i.e. Relativity roughly 80%)

2.If it went to tribunal i presume they would lean more towards actual evidence (although not sure evidence of a single local sale is enough)?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X