How to value Lease Extension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to value Lease Extension?

I bought a Freehold to a flat some years ago. The other leaseholder wants to extend and they only have 57 years left on the lease.

They want an indication from me on the price, but don't want to waste money on surveyors.

There are very few flats for sale. So it is hard to come with a valuation. It is quit possible, that people will pay above the asking price, if it came to the market. Also, with some of the flats for sale, I don't know how many years is left on their lease.

I have n't been to their flat, so don't know if they have done things to extend or do things to add value.

They are neighbours, whilst I don't want to loose out but I don't want to overcharge them. I believe in fairness. I also don't want to pay legal costs. Can this be done with one solicitor?

With an informal extension it's completely up to you what value you put on it and no surveyor knows any more than you or Zoopla, can't you extrapolate value from when you purchased ?
    If the other party has a mortgage then they should be represented but if yours is unencumbered then you don't need to bother.
    If you retain some ground rent and only extend to 99 years you could give them a lower premium which may suit if they are selling.

Comment

I think any improvements are irrelevant, aren't they?
      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
        I think any improvements are irrelevant, aren't they?
        A discount applies to the premium for any improvements made by the lessee that improves the overall value of the flat. So yes, it is important.

Comment

Originally posted by Babyspice View Post

A discount applies to the premium for any improvements made by the lessee that improves the overall value of the flat. So yes, it is important.
          How would a valuer know of any improvements if they've never seen the property before ?

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post

How would a valuer know of any improvements if they've never seen the property before ?

from what I have investigated, this would be picked-up as part of the valuation of the property. What prompted me to investigate this, is that I am currently going through a loft conversion application in my leasehold flat (in essence converting from 2 to 3 bed flat). In the future if I need to extend the lease or collectively enfranchise to buy the freehold, I will ensure that my flat is valued as a 2 bed instead of 3 bed, since I was the one who paid for the work. I will make sure that I keep a copy of all the invoices to provide when the time comes.

Comment

The flat needs to be valued as if the flat had been kept in a perfect time capsule and was presented today with a kitchen and bathroom all as it was in perfect condition but dated

Comment

The lease extension calculator can give you a rough cost of lease extension ::

https://www.lease-advice.org/calculator/

Comment

Originally posted by sgclacy View Post
                  The flat needs to be valued as if the flat had been kept in a perfect time capsule and was presented today with a kitchen and bathroom all as it was in perfect condition but dated
                  For the last two lease extensions I have completed on the valuer didn't even enter flat (admittedly these were during pandemic) and they just used publically available data. I don't recall ever being asked about improvements or bathrooms.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post

For the last two lease extensions I have completed on the valuer didn't even enter flat (admittedly these were during pandemic) and they just used publically available data. I don't recall ever being asked about improvements or bathrooms.
                    Then you may have lost out slightly, it is for the lessee to argue that the flat has been improved and that tenant's improvements should be taken off the value.

Comment

Originally posted by sgclacy View Post

Then you may have lost out slightly, it is for the lessee to argue that the flat has been improved and that tenant's improvements should be taken off the value.
                      Ah yes I see your point , but surely at lease inception the whole flat would be brand new so a new kitchen would simply be putting it back to original condition ?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Share of feehold/shared service charges?
                        by Stu1020
                        Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on a sticky freehold situation.

I own a two-bed flat in a converted building with two one-beds. The lease states that a fair proportion is payable towards the service charge. However, there has been a running agreement of...
                        20-05-2022, 11:39 AM
                      • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
                        by Gordon999
                        Since your flat has 2 bedrooms and other flats have one bedroom, you should keep the existing 38:31:31 split as fair contribution to the annual service charge account.

For lease extension, the cost is mainly solicitors charges plus registration charge at Land Registry and Mortgage Lender.(...
                        28-05-2022, 10:48 AM
                      • Reply to Building works & S20 process
                        by Gordon999
                        The S20 consultation with leaseholders is required for any planned works which exceed £250 cost per flat.

If any planned works are quoted below £1000, you could place the order on the supplier with lowest quote. .

If the freeholder is self- managing the building maintenance,...
                        28-05-2022, 09:56 AM
                      • Building works & S20 process
                        by RichA
                        Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
                        21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
                        by sgclacy
                        You appear to have bought into the flat knowing at the time your share is 38% and having owned the flat feel that this is unjust.

Did you raise any concerns questions at the time of purchase that in a three flat split you would be paying more than 33.33% . Could it be argued that the unfairness...
                        28-05-2022, 09:04 AM
                        by eagle2
                        The cost of extending a lease is not a service charge expense so there is no reason to allocate it on the 38/31/31 basis, your offer to split those costs equally seems to be reasonable. It is up to the freeholder to decide what is fair and reasonable for the service charges and it is up to the other...
                        28-05-2022, 05:29 AM
                      • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
                        by eagle2
                        Unless the handover took place at the end of the financial year, it is the RTM's responsibility to produce the annual accounts. You could try making a formal complaint against the agent to supply copies of all supporting documents, it should belong to a redress scheme. The difficulty is that the agent...
                        28-05-2022, 05:05 AM
                      • Old managing agents accounts
                        by jazzythumper
                        Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
                        20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
                      • Freehold confusion
                        by davetg
                        30 years ago I bought a flat from a friend. The freehold at the time was registered to my friend and the lady who owned the other flat. I understood at the time that I would replace the friend on the freehold but this never happened. This was not a problem until now as when work on the structure of...
                        24-05-2022, 14:29 PM
                      • Reply to Freehold confusion
                        by CStevens
                        davetg,

The property should be registered so the land registry should hold a copy of the leases. You would need to look at the leases to see who is responsible for what but normally in a maisonette situation the freeholder would insure and maintain the structure, foundation and roof with...
                        27-05-2022, 21:58 PM
                      Working...
                      X