Property manager questions

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Property manager questions

    Hi all hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have a background working in property but first time for myself so some areas I am not experienced in.I have been offered a property management contract for a small block of flats. As such I have lined up quotes for indemnity insurance, public liability and know I need to join a public redress scheme. The area I am stuck is where it comes to bank accounts.

    The lease is old fashioned so landlord has to pay up front and reclaim the costs. Under regulations if you hold clients money you need a client management account and money protection. It does however not count as client money if the services are rendered and then charged for. A hold account can't have an overdraft facility. The landlord has always kept 2000 grand in the account to manage most of the costs short term.

    My question is if the landlord has his business account and I have access to it in my role to pay the bills etc do I need any insurance for this. Is this allowed?

    The alternate seems to be I have a business account and need to front the costs. As I couldn't have the landlords money in that account.

    Anyone with experience in this area advice would be massively appreciated. The government web pages aren't the most helpful.

    As you are seeking advice to run a business, I suggest that you employ a consultant.


      All service charges and reserve funds have to be in client accounts held in trust.
      The fact that service charges are retrospectively budgeted is totally irrelevant - money paid does not belong to you (and in any case apparently retrospective accounts are in fact often prospective in a sense because lessees paid an initial amount upfront when the lease was purchased).

      I suggest you need some serious training.

      Where do you propose asking lessees to send service charges.


        Thank you both.

        I have now figured this out. There was the one area I was slightly confused on due to a small section of wording.

        The appropriate insurances and rules will be complied with including a client account and CMP as well as ensuring I have a AML policy in place. As you stated I needed to do a bit more research on this. I was asking more for ideas of where to research this rather than advice directly. I want to make sure I d9 this right and am researching before I agree to take anything on I wasn't prepared for.All sorted now though, thank you for taking the time to reply.


          It is a fraud offence, if you order services for the block of flats and have no funds to pay for those services. So you must set up an annual budget and demand service charge contribution from each leaseholder paid into a "client account".

          The managing agent has to comply to the RICS Residential Management Code v.3 which you can buy from RICS Online Bookshop or view online.


            Thank you Gordon that has put my mind at rest. I was doing the right things just not explaining myself very well. I would rather turn down the contract than risk doing something illegal. Therefore it was good to read and confirm that I have been setting up the right things


            Latest Activity


            • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
              by Gordon999
              Since your flat has 2 bedrooms and other flats have one bedroom, you should keep the existing 38:31:31 split as fair contribution to the annual service charge account.

              For lease extension, the cost is mainly solicitors charges plus registration charge at Land Registry and Mortgage Lender.(...
              28-05-2022, 10:48 AM
            • Share of feehold/shared service charges?
              by Stu1020
              Hi there,

              I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on a sticky freehold situation.

              I own a two-bed flat in a converted building with two one-beds. The lease states that a fair proportion is payable towards the service charge. However, there has been a running agreement of...
              20-05-2022, 11:39 AM
            • Reply to Building works & S20 process
              by Gordon999
              The S20 consultation with leaseholders is required for any planned works which exceed £250 cost per flat.

              If any planned works are quoted below £1000, you could place the order on the supplier with lowest quote. .

              If the freeholder is self- managing the building maintenance,...
              28-05-2022, 09:56 AM
            • Building works & S20 process
              by RichA
              Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

              The block needs some maintenance...
              21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
            • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
              by sgclacy
              You appear to have bought into the flat knowing at the time your share is 38% and having owned the flat feel that this is unjust.

              Did you raise any concerns questions at the time of purchase that in a three flat split you would be paying more than 33.33% . Could it be argued that the unfairness...
              28-05-2022, 09:04 AM
            • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
              by eagle2
              The cost of extending a lease is not a service charge expense so there is no reason to allocate it on the 38/31/31 basis, your offer to split those costs equally seems to be reasonable. It is up to the freeholder to decide what is fair and reasonable for the service charges and it is up to the other...
              28-05-2022, 05:29 AM
            • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
              by eagle2
              Unless the handover took place at the end of the financial year, it is the RTM's responsibility to produce the annual accounts. You could try making a formal complaint against the agent to supply copies of all supporting documents, it should belong to a redress scheme. The difficulty is that the agent...
              28-05-2022, 05:05 AM
            • Old managing agents accounts
              by jazzythumper
              Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
              20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
            • Freehold confusion
              by davetg
              30 years ago I bought a flat from a friend. The freehold at the time was registered to my friend and the lady who owned the other flat. I understood at the time that I would replace the friend on the freehold but this never happened. This was not a problem until now as when work on the structure of...
              24-05-2022, 14:29 PM
            • Reply to Freehold confusion
              by CStevens

              The property should be registered so the land registry should hold a copy of the leases. You would need to look at the leases to see who is responsible for what but normally in a maisonette situation the freeholder would insure and maintain the structure, foundation and roof with...
              27-05-2022, 21:58 PM