What to include in creating a new lease to allow short lets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to include in creating a new lease to allow short lets

I was a sole freeholder over two flats in a terraced house . I sold half of the freehold to the flat above which is subject to a 1987 lease, albeit rather old-fashioned . After the freehold sale had been completed the solicitor (only one was used as I thought a simple conveyancing task) pointed out he had always intended to create me a lease. Time has past and we are finally getting around to this. The owner of the flat above is keen to place a restriction on how I let my flat not allowing any short lets like Air BNB. I am keen obviously to keep available all ways in which I might choose to rent out my flat out my flat within standard UK law. I most likely will have cleared the mortgage by this point so will not have a lender’s concerns to deal with although there is currently a buy to let mortgage in place. Does anyone have any experience of clauses in leases restricting how you can let a buy to let flat? Thanks
    Last edited by Poppy868; 25-01-2022, 08:36 AM. Reason: Edited because of errant apostrophe!

Yet another incompetent solicitor ( if what you say is accurate) and a right mess as you can't grant a lease to yourself .
    why would you want to restrict your rights and downvalue your asset anyway ?

Comment

I'd talk this through with a different solicitor. You appear to have been let down.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Insurance
        by jazzythumper
        When the freehold of our building was sold, the old freeholder cancelled the buildings insurance which we had paid for in advance through our service charge.

A new policy was taken out by the new freeholder. A refund for the previous policy has been given to the previous freeholder but...
        03-04-2022, 20:24 PM
      • Reply to Insurance
        by jazzythumper
        I’ve managed to get the refund from the previous insurers, which is good, over £1,000 that we wouldn’t have had otherwise in our funds.
        18-05-2022, 15:51 PM
      • Breaches of Model Articles
        by Starlane
        ram Our articles require a quorum for board and for shareholder meetings. It has come to light after the event that a director has called a meeting on their own and appointed another director, the meeting was inquorate and no members were made aware that this was going on, additionally no meeting has...
        06-05-2022, 16:02 PM
      • Reply to Breaches of Model Articles
        by Starlane
        The Articles require a quorum for the board and shareholders, one of the directors sold their flat...I was not aware and find out months later that the director has been acting on their own then a new shareholder came onboard and again did not know that he had been appointed a director.They wont call...
        18-05-2022, 15:38 PM
      • Section 20 notice of planned works not disclosed by vendor
        by Lexa
        Hi all

I purchased a flat last August and asked my solicitor specifically to check if any section 20 notices for planned works have been served. Their report dated 31/07/21 states no and so does the Leasehold Management Pack issued by the Manco dated 8 June 2021. I now received a letter...
        05-05-2022, 12:56 PM
      • Reply to Section 20 notice of planned works not disclosed by vendor
        by Lexa
        @sglacy - The works the notice has been served for are part of a cyclical decoration programme on the wider estate and there was no way to foresee any works being planned without being made aware of the notices or plans of works. It might have been evident to the vendor but not to me. The point is...
        18-05-2022, 13:20 PM
      • Neighbour Dispute over Bins
        by Tony-Edwards
        Hello

I could do with some guidance if anyone has any knowledge on this.

I have a 100 year old flat that was split from a larger building in 2000 and has a 999 year lease, it is next door to a commercial premises.

The only way to get to my flat is across their...
        17-05-2022, 14:40 PM
      • Reply to Neighbour Dispute over Bins
        by Tony-Edwards
        The Lease..........

(20.05.1997) By a Conveyance of the land in this title and other land dated 15 July 1977 made between (1) xxx (Vendor) and (2) xxxx (Purchaser) the land was conveyed subject as follows:-

Subject to all existing rights and privileges in the nature of easements...
        18-05-2022, 09:18 AM
      • Reply to Neighbour Dispute over Bins
        by royw
        Can't you leave them on the road for collection?
        18-05-2022, 08:43 AM
      • Reply to Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
        by JK0
        Do you have insurance for the contents? Maybe there is loss of rent cover included there.
        18-05-2022, 06:11 AM
      Working...
      X