Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs

The flat I rent out has suffered from recurrent leaks from upstairs since I purchased it, 4 leaks in 4 years. It's caused me to lose one tenant already. I feel like there is no incentive for the owner upstairs to sort the problem (check the plumbing etc) as the cost is always covered by insurance and they're never really inconvenienced like I am. It always seems to be a new issue.

The problem is usually sorted fairly quickly by the management company. I am also now concerned about the structural integrity of the ceiling.

I obviously don't want to cause an issue with the owners (I believe the property is let out too) but this is an unreasonable number of leaks.

Any advice welcome! Thanks

Presumably it's not the tenants upstairs causing the leaks, is it?

I certainly would be causing an issue with the owners.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Over the last FOUR years (!) we have had ongoing leak issues from the flat above, we've probably had 5 leaks during this time. In February they got a leak detection company out who found no active leak but that the floor was saturated. They recommended leaving it to dry out. Over the past few months the ceiling in my property has only got worse so nothing seems to be drying.

Where do we go now? Can I start with legal action? How do I find a legal team? I feel like it doesn't bother the people upstairs so there is no incentive for them to get it sorted. The management company are acting as the go between and in the latest email were going to chase the landlord to follow up. Useless. I just don't know what to do. Our tenants are moving out and in it's current state we won't be in a position to get new ones in or sell (which I would LOVE to do right now!!).

Thanks for any help!

Comment

Are the management company paying for all the damage via the blocks buildings insurance or is this down to you ? Given how long it has gone on i think you will need to take individual legal action against the landlord of the flat above, what else is there is they have no incentive to fix anything. This is effectively making the flat un-rentable and un-saleable. If the floor above you a concrete one or is it something else ?

Comment

Thanks for your response.

All costs are being covered by the management company. So currently I'm not actually losing out so I'm not really sure what I'm claiming for! More just the stress of it all. And the potential loss of earning and making unrentable/saleable as you say. Yes the floor above is concrete.

I really need to discuss with a legal team but I have no idea where I even begin with finding one as I'm not really sure what I'm even asking for!

​​​​
          ​​

Comment

Do you have insurance for the contents? Maybe there is loss of rent cover included there.
            To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Old managing agents accounts
              by jazzythumper
              Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
              20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
            • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
              by jazzythumper
              would this be a good starting point?

https://www.lease-advice.org/faq/how...eing-used-for/...
              25-05-2022, 15:37 PM
            • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
              by jazzythumper
              As in a simple application to the old managing agent Or freeholder? Which one?

To provide all accounts and payments based on the fact that we disagree with the charges? How far back can we go? And does having paid the service charges mean we have agreed to these?

Thanks for...
              25-05-2022, 15:31 PM
            • Reply to Freehold confusion
              by Section20z
              It's never advisable , it can cause serious issues if you have a claim affecting communal areas. For buildings insurance the whole property should be covered and the cost split between the two flats.
              The only problem with an absent freeholder is that when selling the flat a pernickity solicitor...
              25-05-2022, 10:02 AM
            • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
              by Stu1020
              Thank you for the response....
              25-05-2022, 09:40 AM
            • Reply to Freehold confusion
              by AndrewDod
              There is no cast iron rule that the freehold "share" has to be transferred with any sale. You may need to purchase it from the friend (or his estate)....
              25-05-2022, 09:22 AM
            • Share of feehold/shared service charges?
              by Stu1020
              Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on a sticky freehold situation.

I own a two-bed flat in a converted building with two one-beds. The lease states that a fair proportion is payable towards the service charge. However, there has been a running agreement of...
              20-05-2022, 11:39 AM
            • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
              by eagle2
              I suggest that you ask the other 2 leaseholders to explain why they consider that the current allocation is fair. The freeholder has the right to review the allocation from time to time. Unfortunately, a "fair proportion" means that several alternatives would be considered reasonable to a...
              25-05-2022, 06:27 AM
            • RTM Hand Over Issues
              by martin15
              RTM handing over issues

Our RTM companies comprise 4 blocks of 6 identical two bedroom flats and each block is registered at Companies House as a separate company.
              Following the acquisition date, it was discovered the former directors ignored legal advice and changed property management companies...
              23-05-2022, 19:36 PM
            • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
              by eagle2
              You appear to have a claim against the freeholder, not the individual companies, who are acting as agent for the freeholder. A Tribunal does not have the jurisdiction to deal with monies which should be handed over, it is a matter for the courts,
              25-05-2022, 06:16 AM
            Working...
            X