Voting Rights and Required Percentages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voting Rights and Required Percentages

Good Morning. I'm brand new to this site so I apologise if this question is in the wrong section.

My wife and I live in a self contained apartment in a converted old house. There are five apartments in total, occupied by five separate couples. We are all leaseholders and we collectively, by five equal shares, own the company that owns the freehold of the building and grounds. We are effectively our own landlords. We have two directors both of whom are company members.

None of us are sure what voting percentages are require for various subjects. Neither our Memorandum of Association nor our Articles of Association give any guidance on the matter but a paragraph in our individual leases says that 'improvements' for the benefit of all shall be approved by at least three quarters of the shareholders.

'The word 'improvements' is a bit vague. Does it cover everything or simply things like communal area decorating and/or communal garden makeovers etc? Could it include improvements in the way that the company itself is run?

We've all tried to find definitive answers on Google but that can be a nightmare of ambiguity when mentions of 'a simple majority, or 60% or 66% or 75%' are made with no explanation of what aspects they refer to.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Without seeing all paper work it would be incorrect to categorically state anything, the best thing is to speak with the conveyancing solicitor (either the one you instructed at the time of purchase) or a new one to go through all the documents to clarify the details, some leases will have detailed information others are very vague. You may want to bring this up at the next meeting with the management company.

Comment

Thank you for your swift response.

All five leaseholders have been in residence here for 20 years. We own our own management company and have managed very well up to now because so far we've all agreed on everything. It's just that we would like an idea of the percentages just-in-case, one day there is a difference of opinion.

But thanks anyway, maybe going down the solicitor route will have to be the way ahead.

Comment

Is it 3/4 of shareholders, or 3/4 of a quorate meeting? Could be 4 people needed in the former case, but possibly only 3 in the latter.

Likeliest is that most decisions are made by a majority of votes at a quorate meeting - if there is a 50/50 impasse then the chair has a right to a casting vote normally. In practice that could lead to an irrevocable breakdown.

'Improvements' are always going to have grey areas. Some things are obviously day to day, others are definitely improvements, and then there are the indefinable grey areas in the middle. The test in English law is reasonableness - Would the average Jo/Joe walking down the street agree of not?

Comment

Originally posted by Arizona View Post
          Thank you for your swift response.

All five leaseholders have been in residence here for 20 years. We own our own management company and have managed very well up to now because so far we've all agreed on everything. It's just that we would like an idea of the percentages just-in-case, one day there is a difference of opinion.

But thanks anyway, maybe going down the solicitor route will have to be the way ahead.
          If you all get along and have so far managed to agree on everything, this may work in your favour.
          With unanimous agreement of all shareholders you can agree to have new articles of association drawn up that clearly state how anything is to be decided.
          Whatever you decide, you should ensure that the terms of the lease are protected. If the lease has an absolute prohibition against something, I would suggest that nothing short of unanimous agreement should be sufficient for it to even be considered.

Comment

The Articles of the Company will explain how meetings of members are to be conducted. If you let us know which set of model articles apply and any exclusions, we shall be able to assist further. They probably say that each member has one vote, you need 2 members for a quorum to exist and decisions are made by a simple majority, with the chair of the meeting having the casting vote. The only exception would be for special resolutions eg changing the Articles, which require 75% of the members to vote in favour of the amendments.

Please let us know the exact wording of the lease, it should contain a definition of “improvements”. Maintaining the building in its original condition would not be considered to be an improvement, there must be some alteration involved. The lease would not normally deal with the running of the Company, that is a matter for the Articles.

You are quite right to consider the terms of the Articles and the lease whilst you are all in agreement, it is much easier if you wish to make amendments.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Neighbour Dispute over Bins
              by Tony-Edwards
              Hello

I could do with some guidance if anyone has any knowledge on this.

I have a 100 year old flat that was split from a larger building in 2000 and has a 999 year lease, it is next door to a commercial premises.

The only way to get to my flat is across their...
              17-05-2022, 14:40 PM
            • Reply to Neighbour Dispute over Bins
              by Tony-Edwards
              The Lease..........

(20.05.1997) By a Conveyance of the land in this title and other land dated 15 July 1977 made between (1) xxx (Vendor) and (2) xxxx (Purchaser) the land was conveyed subject as follows:-

Subject to all existing rights and privileges in the nature of easements...
              18-05-2022, 09:18 AM
              by royw
              Can't you leave them on the road for collection?
              18-05-2022, 08:43 AM
            • Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
              by Ldawg
              The flat I rent out has suffered from recurrent leaks from upstairs since I purchased it, 4 leaks in 4 years. It's caused me to lose one tenant already. I feel like there is no incentive for the owner upstairs to sort the problem (check the plumbing etc) as the cost is always covered by insurance and...
              24-01-2022, 19:48 PM
            • Reply to Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
              by JK0
              Do you have insurance for the contents? Maybe there is loss of rent cover included there.
              18-05-2022, 06:11 AM
            • RTM director service charge arrears
              by ARG
              Hello, I am new here so please excuse me if this question has already been asked, but a search has drawn a blank.

I am a director of an RTM of a property with 25 flats. I would be very grateful if anyone here can advise whether a resident who is more than six months in arrears with his...
              17-05-2022, 15:38 PM
            • Reply to RTM director service charge arrears
              by fos333
              This is the important question, what are the reasons for non payment?

Have demands been correctly served including the correct summaries of rights and obligations?

Are the landlord obligations under the lease being carried out?

Have service charge end of year accounts...
              17-05-2022, 21:48 PM
              by vmart
              Is there a restrictive covenant in the title of the commercial-property owner (CPO) giving you and the other lessee a right of way over the land?

Is the CPO a freeholder or leaseholder of the land?

With regard to the point related to '20 years' you are referring to adverse...
              17-05-2022, 21:06 PM
            • Reply to RTM director service charge arrears
              by vmart
              The RTM can make a money claim online but as this enquiry concerns service charges the lessee will have the right to have the service charges determined unless already agreed. Depending upon the lessee's response to the claim, the County Court may refer the claim to the FTT.

What are the...
              17-05-2022, 20:54 PM
            • Reply to Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
              by Ldawg
              Thanks for your response.

All costs are being covered by the management company. So currently I'm not actually losing out so I'm not really sure what I'm claiming for! More just the stress of it all. And the potential loss of earning and making unrentable/saleable as you say. Yes the floor...
              17-05-2022, 20:22 PM
            Working...
            X