Who owns loft space when it is not stated in lease.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who owns loft space when it is not stated in lease.

Hi, I own a top floor maisonette and share the freehold 50/50 with the ground floor maisonette. I would like to build a loft conversion and after checking my lease I'm unsure who the loft space belongs to. All I can see in my lease is "the right for the lessor/owner/occupier of lower maisonette to maintain in the roof space of the demised premises such tanks or cisterns as are necessary for the provision of an adequate water system for the lower maisonette....". I've looked through the forums but everyone's lease is different I guess. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

It will depend on the precise wording within your lease.
    Lawcruncher is a forum member who seems to best know what he is talking about regarding this, and has previously said that, if the lease doesn't specifically exclude the loft space, and the loft can only be accessed from with a particular flat, legislation effectively means that the loft space is included in the demise of that flat even if the lease doesn't specifically include the loft (I hope I'm not getting this wrong, but hopefully Lawcruncher will see your post.

However, whether or not you have any right to the loft space is not the only consideration if you wish to build a loft conversion. If you wish to include any sort of 'window' that will mean cutting through the roof, your lease may explicitly prohibit this.
    From what you have posted, the leases for your block definitely include the right for the lower maisonette to have the tanks/cisterns necessary to provide "an adequate water system" within the loft space, so whatever plans you have will have to allow for that.

Comment

Please see this thread: https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...-in-the-lease=

In your case the reservation of the right to maintain a tank in the loft is a clear indication of an intention to include the loft.

Comment

I am curious.

If the intention was to include the loft in the demise, then why would on the drafting of the lease would there be a right to maintain a tank in the loft. I would have thought that it implies there was no intention to include the loft in the demise

Comment

The right is for the landlord and tenant below.

Comment

Presumably all the flats have to have a tank in the loft, not just the flat below. So I really cannot see that provision for the tank enhances the case - it weakens it in a block of > 1 level.

Comment

vagabond does ur lease state to whom has the roof been demised to? Who is responsible for insuring/repairing and rebuilding (in case of fire)?

i am currently progressing a loft conversion application with the FH, and even though my lease does not specifically mention the loft space, since the roof is demised to me (I also have responsibility to insure it as part of my demise), by default it incorporates the loft space and airspace. I found case law that confirmed my position. Also this was not challenged by the FH.

very rarely leases mention loft space (especially old ones). In this situation what is important to assess is to whom has the roof been demised to.

hope this helps.

Comment

If you and other flat owner are joint- owners of the freehold title for your building , you should be able to reach a deal where you can build in the loft and other leaseholder builds an extension on rear side of ground floor flat

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Section 20 notice of planned works not disclosed by vendor
                  by Lexa
                  Hi all

I purchased a flat last August and asked my solicitor specifically to check if any section 20 notices for planned works have been served. Their report dated 31/07/21 states no and so does the Leasehold Management Pack issued by the Manco dated 8 June 2021. I now received a letter...
                  05-05-2022, 12:56 PM
                • Reply to Section 20 notice of planned works not disclosed by vendor
                  by Lexa
                  @sglacy - The works the notice has been served for are part of a cyclical decoration programme on the wider estate and there was no way to foresee any works being planned without being made aware of the notices or plans of works. It might have been evident to the vendor but not to me. The point is...
                  18-05-2022, 13:20 PM
                • Neighbour Dispute over Bins
                  by Tony-Edwards
                  Hello

I could do with some guidance if anyone has any knowledge on this.

I have a 100 year old flat that was split from a larger building in 2000 and has a 999 year lease, it is next door to a commercial premises.

The only way to get to my flat is across their...
                  17-05-2022, 14:40 PM
                • Reply to Neighbour Dispute over Bins
                  by Tony-Edwards
                  The Lease..........

(20.05.1997) By a Conveyance of the land in this title and other land dated 15 July 1977 made between (1) xxx (Vendor) and (2) xxxx (Purchaser) the land was conveyed subject as follows:-

Subject to all existing rights and privileges in the nature of easements...
                  18-05-2022, 09:18 AM
                  by royw
                  Can't you leave them on the road for collection?
                  18-05-2022, 08:43 AM
                • Reply to Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
                  by JK0
                  Do you have insurance for the contents? Maybe there is loss of rent cover included there.
                  18-05-2022, 06:11 AM
                • Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
                  by Ldawg
                  The flat I rent out has suffered from recurrent leaks from upstairs since I purchased it, 4 leaks in 4 years. It's caused me to lose one tenant already. I feel like there is no incentive for the owner upstairs to sort the problem (check the plumbing etc) as the cost is always covered by insurance and...
                  24-01-2022, 19:48 PM
                • Reply to RTM director service charge arrears
                  by fos333
                  This is the important question, what are the reasons for non payment?

Have demands been correctly served including the correct summaries of rights and obligations?

Are the landlord obligations under the lease being carried out?

Have service charge end of year accounts...
                  17-05-2022, 21:48 PM
                • RTM director service charge arrears
                  by ARG
                  Hello, I am new here so please excuse me if this question has already been asked, but a search has drawn a blank.

I am a director of an RTM of a property with 25 flats. I would be very grateful if anyone here can advise whether a resident who is more than six months in arrears with his...
                  17-05-2022, 15:38 PM
                  by vmart
                  Is there a restrictive covenant in the title of the commercial-property owner (CPO) giving you and the other lessee a right of way over the land?

Is the CPO a freeholder or leaseholder of the land?

With regard to the point related to '20 years' you are referring to adverse...
                  17-05-2022, 21:06 PM
                Working...
                X