Delivery Damage To Outside Property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delivery Damage To Outside Property

I had a large delivery a few months back which caused a few cheap outdoor slabs of a building I live in to crack due to poor foundation and installation of the existing sub base (the area is even uneven to walk on). At the time the building had a temporary manager and he said since we have a few spares, you builders can install it and it would be all fine (this was done verbally) and the builders carried out the work. The new manager who joined a few days after has dismissed it and has been harassing me on these. The total cost of these slabs is around £30-40 and I offered to pay for but they keep saying I should go buy it and bring it to them and have been sending harassing emails every now.

Considering verbal agreements are binding and the issue was fixed immediately using building spares, legally I don't think I have any liability here, but they argue the previous temporary manager didnt have the authority to authorise this and I argued whether he was temp or not, he still was the manager and has the authority to authorise what he did.

Im wondering what could they do next and what should I do? Shall I ignore their emails and stand my ground? They also failed to address a critical issues impacting my flat reported to them multiple times over two years and dont respond and ignore. I am planning to complaint about that to the ombudsman after exhausting their complaint procedure, shall I also include this in the complaint as well? Any tips would be appreciated.

In general terms an agreement is an agreement, the problem with a verbal agreement is that what was actually agreed may be disputed, so it is best to confirm what was agreed in writing at the time.

You are entitled to assume that a manager, temporary or otherwise, is authorised to act. If the manager acted outside his authority, it is not your problem.

Don't worry about what others may or may not do, just wait and see,

If you want any assistance with your complaint, please let us have further details.

Comment

There should not be a problem as they have confirmed the temporary manager agreed the arrangement. As eagle2 says, a temporary manager has ostensible authority to do all the things a permanent manager would do.

Comment

Perfect. Thank you both for the affirmation. I will ignore them, as I do have two witnesses (my builders) who carried out the repairs immediately.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Old managing agents accounts
          by jazzythumper
          Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
          20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
        • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
          by jazzythumper
          would this be a good starting point?

https://www.lease-advice.org/faq/how...eing-used-for/...
          25-05-2022, 15:37 PM
        • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
          by jazzythumper
          As in a simple application to the old managing agent Or freeholder? Which one?

To provide all accounts and payments based on the fact that we disagree with the charges? How far back can we go? And does having paid the service charges mean we have agreed to these?

Thanks for...
          25-05-2022, 15:31 PM
        • Reply to Freehold confusion
          by Section20z
          It's never advisable , it can cause serious issues if you have a claim affecting communal areas. For buildings insurance the whole property should be covered and the cost split between the two flats.
          The only problem with an absent freeholder is that when selling the flat a pernickity solicitor...
          25-05-2022, 10:02 AM
        • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
          by Stu1020
          Thank you for the response....
          25-05-2022, 09:40 AM
        • Reply to Freehold confusion
          by AndrewDod
          There is no cast iron rule that the freehold "share" has to be transferred with any sale. You may need to purchase it from the friend (or his estate)....
          25-05-2022, 09:22 AM
        • Share of feehold/shared service charges?
          by Stu1020
          Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on a sticky freehold situation.

I own a two-bed flat in a converted building with two one-beds. The lease states that a fair proportion is payable towards the service charge. However, there has been a running agreement of...
          20-05-2022, 11:39 AM
        • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
          by eagle2
          I suggest that you ask the other 2 leaseholders to explain why they consider that the current allocation is fair. The freeholder has the right to review the allocation from time to time. Unfortunately, a "fair proportion" means that several alternatives would be considered reasonable to a...
          25-05-2022, 06:27 AM
        • RTM Hand Over Issues
          by martin15
          RTM handing over issues

Our RTM companies comprise 4 blocks of 6 identical two bedroom flats and each block is registered at Companies House as a separate company.
          Following the acquisition date, it was discovered the former directors ignored legal advice and changed property management companies...
          23-05-2022, 19:36 PM
        • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
          by eagle2
          You appear to have a claim against the freeholder, not the individual companies, who are acting as agent for the freeholder. A Tribunal does not have the jurisdiction to deal with monies which should be handed over, it is a matter for the courts,
          25-05-2022, 06:16 AM
        Working...
        X