Delivery Damage To Outside Property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delivery Damage To Outside Property

I had a large delivery a few months back which caused a few cheap outdoor slabs of a building I live in to crack due to poor foundation and installation of the existing sub base (the area is even uneven to walk on). At the time the building had a temporary manager and he said since we have a few spares, you builders can install it and it would be all fine (this was done verbally) and the builders carried out the work. The new manager who joined a few days after has dismissed it and has been harassing me on these. The total cost of these slabs is around £30-40 and I offered to pay for but they keep saying I should go buy it and bring it to them and have been sending harassing emails every now.

Considering verbal agreements are binding and the issue was fixed immediately using building spares, legally I don't think I have any liability here, but they argue the previous temporary manager didnt have the authority to authorise this and I argued whether he was temp or not, he still was the manager and has the authority to authorise what he did.

Im wondering what could they do next and what should I do? Shall I ignore their emails and stand my ground? They also failed to address a critical issues impacting my flat reported to them multiple times over two years and dont respond and ignore. I am planning to complaint about that to the ombudsman after exhausting their complaint procedure, shall I also include this in the complaint as well? Any tips would be appreciated.

In general terms an agreement is an agreement, the problem with a verbal agreement is that what was actually agreed may be disputed, so it is best to confirm what was agreed in writing at the time.

You are entitled to assume that a manager, temporary or otherwise, is authorised to act. If the manager acted outside his authority, it is not your problem.

Don't worry about what others may or may not do, just wait and see,

If you want any assistance with your complaint, please let us have further details.

Comment

There should not be a problem as they have confirmed the temporary manager agreed the arrangement. As eagle2 says, a temporary manager has ostensible authority to do all the things a permanent manager would do.

Comment

Perfect. Thank you both for the affirmation. I will ignore them, as I do have two witnesses (my builders) who carried out the repairs immediately.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X