X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right to Manage...again!

Hi wise ones. We took out the RTM on a block of 6 flats in 2019

Here is the timeline

The limited company was set up in May 2019 in preparation for the Right To Manage if it was successful

The Freeholder agreed for the RTM in August 2019

The handover was in November 2019

After much tooing and froing and demanding I eventually got some sort of set of accounts from the old management company in Feb 2020

Apparetnly there was no monies owed to us though the balance sheet showed £136, we questioned it but were told there was nothing in the pot

Unbeknown to any of us the freeholder had asked for a report to be done by the property management company before us on the maintenance of the whole building which, unbeknown to any of us, was carried out in July 2019. The management company instructed a company to do it

Today I got an invoice dated August 2019 for £606 from that company as apparently it had never been paid, they had got my name off Companies House

On looking back now at all the paperwork that was sent in Feb 2020 there is a list of 2 creditors, one of them is the company who did the work. I either missed it or saw it and as there was never any invoice with it, forgot about it! I honestly cant remember!

Are we liable for this invoice?

What was agreed at the date of takeover? Did you agree to collect the service charge arrears and pay outstanding bills? If not, it is the responsibility of the freeholder to deal with all items up to that date.

If the balance sheet indicates that there are some monies held, you are entitled to ask the freeholder to account for them. The freeholder is not entitled to simply say that there are no monies, it must explain how the balance has been used and provide invoices etc.

With regards to the invoice for £606, it is not your responsibility to pay the supplier because you did not enter into the legal contract and you should not interfere with that contract, so you should refer the Company to the freeholder. Whether or not you should reimburse the freeholder if and when it pays the invoice depends again on what was agreed at the date of takeover and whether or not you are satisfied that the charge is recoverable in full from the leaseholders under the terms of the lease.

Comment

Thank you so much

Comment

Following on from this the RTM got a quote for the redecoration of the outside. However now looking at the lease its says that this is the responsibility of the lessor, does that mean the freeholder pays for that?

Comment

Originally posted by roxytoo View Post
          Following on from this the RTM got a quote for the redecoration of the outside. However now looking at the lease its says that this is the responsibility of the lessor, does that mean the freeholder pays for that?
          RTM companies take over most of the responsibilities that the lease assigns to the freeholder.

If the lease makes external redecoration the responsibility of the freeholder (which most leases do), the freeholder would have the responsibility of organising the work and paying for it - but the lease will usually also include this as something that the freeholder can claim the costs for from leaseholders as part of the service charges (often in advance, but in arrears in some leases). There may also be a requirement to consult leaseholders before work is done, and this would usually apply to full external redecoration because of the cost to each individual leaseholder.
          Your RTM Company will almost certainly now have the responsibility of organising, and paying for, the costs of external redecoration, with the costs shared by the leaseholders.

Comment

Many thanks, it makes more sense now!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Building works & S20 process
              by Gordon999
              The S20 consultation with leaseholders is required for any planned works which exceed £250 cost per flat.

If any planned works are quoted below £1000, you could place the order on the supplier with lowest quote. .

If the freeholder is self- managing the building maintenance,...
              28-05-2022, 09:56 AM
            • Building works & S20 process
              by RichA
              Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
              21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
            • Share of feehold/shared service charges?
              by Stu1020
              Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on a sticky freehold situation.

I own a two-bed flat in a converted building with two one-beds. The lease states that a fair proportion is payable towards the service charge. However, there has been a running agreement of...
              20-05-2022, 11:39 AM
            • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
              by sgclacy
              You appear to have bought into the flat knowing at the time your share is 38% and having owned the flat feel that this is unjust.

Did you raise any concerns questions at the time of purchase that in a three flat split you would be paying more than 33.33% . Could it be argued that the unfairness...
              28-05-2022, 09:04 AM
            • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
              by eagle2
              The cost of extending a lease is not a service charge expense so there is no reason to allocate it on the 38/31/31 basis, your offer to split those costs equally seems to be reasonable. It is up to the freeholder to decide what is fair and reasonable for the service charges and it is up to the other...
              28-05-2022, 05:29 AM
            • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
              by eagle2
              Unless the handover took place at the end of the financial year, it is the RTM's responsibility to produce the annual accounts. You could try making a formal complaint against the agent to supply copies of all supporting documents, it should belong to a redress scheme. The difficulty is that the agent...
              28-05-2022, 05:05 AM
            • Old managing agents accounts
              by jazzythumper
              Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
              20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
            • Reply to Freehold confusion
              by CStevens
              davetg,

The property should be registered so the land registry should hold a copy of the leases. You would need to look at the leases to see who is responsible for what but normally in a maisonette situation the freeholder would insure and maintain the structure, foundation and roof with...
              27-05-2022, 21:58 PM
            • Freehold confusion
              by davetg
              30 years ago I bought a flat from a friend. The freehold at the time was registered to my friend and the lady who owned the other flat. I understood at the time that I would replace the friend on the freehold but this never happened. This was not a problem until now as when work on the structure of...
              24-05-2022, 14:29 PM
            • Reply to Freehold confusion
              by CStevens
              Yeah i guess i would agree with that but, as you say, the value is only to the leaseholders and a freehold subject to 999 years is not worth a great deal of money to anyone other than the occupants and in fact, if the leases are drafted correctly, they should require the leaseholders to become members...
              27-05-2022, 21:52 PM
            Working...
            X