Service charges Interim payment clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post

You can argue whether or not the charge is reasonable but it is difficult to argue that a reserve fund contribution is unreasonable.
    Last year they made a ridiculously low reserve demand for £37.00 and wont tell me what monies are in the reserve, in our lease its called the sinking fund NOT a reserve. This year they have made over a 2000% increase demand and wont say what the purpose of the sinking fund is for again. They have not undertaken any external repairs and cyclical decoration is well overdue. Not a penny of the reserve/sinking fund monies have been spent on the external structure repairs/maintenance/only service provided insurance and no decoration for 7 years!

Comment

Originally posted by Starlane View Post
      I would like to ask for your help and guidance - what is your definition of an interim payment?
      Any payment demanded before the annual service charge accounts for the year are finalised could be considered to be an interim payment.

1. The Lessee shall pay to the Lessor or managing agents as the case may be the Lessee’s proportion of:
      1. In advance in each year the amount which shall be reasonably estimated by the manging agents or the Lessor as the case may be of the Service Charge for the year
      2. Any further sums as shall be required by way of an interim charge during the course of the year
      This seems to allow the managing agents to demand the estimated service charge costs for the year in advance (which means that they can demand payment at any point before the end of the year if they reasonably estimate that the money will be needed).
      It also allows them to make additional demands as interim charges if they decide that previous demands they have made are not sufficient to cover all costs.

In my view the landlord has not complied with the lease the service charges are required to be paid quarterly according to the lease so I have told the landlord that the May demand is invalid

Can you shed any advice on the above and any case law as I don’t accept that I should be asked to pay out large sums of money in one go and don’t know what the monies are for or being spent on?
      Nothing that you have quoted suggests that the lease requires service charges to be demanded quarterly (although that could be in a part of the lease that you haven't quoted).

There is nothing in UK law that prevents leaseholders from having to pay out large sums of money - the only requirements are that the money is for costs that the lease makes payable by leaseholders and that the costs are reasonable. Hypothetically, section 20 consultation requirements also apply, but these can be avoided in most cases and don't necessarily have to be carried out before costs can be demanded.

The paragraph not in my lease clause reads "that the lessor shall be liable to pay " any further sums as shall be required by way of an interim charge during the course of the year"....but I am NOT the LESSOR I am the lessee?
      If the clause is not in your lease it has no relevance to you - unless, and until, a court or tribunal rules otherwise or both you and the freeholder agree that it does apply.

Comment

Starlane,

You can ask how they have calculated the reserve/sinking fund contribution. If it is calculated correctly, the amount should not vary substantially from year to year because the object of a reserve fund is to even out the costs over the life of the lease. You are also entitled to know how much is held in the reserve fund at the end of each year and you should be provided with a summary of the movements in that fund. Challenging the reserve fund contributions is another matter, it is extremely difficult to convince a tribunal that the contributions are unreasonable.

Comment

Interim charges should be defined within your lease but I agree with macromia that it usually means any charges payable on account and before the actual expenditure is known. What does your lease say about receiving an annual certificate showing the actual expenditure for the year and adjusting the interim charges to the actual amount payable? You should be credited if your share of the actual expenditure is less than the charges on account, although some leases state that any excess may be added to the reserve fund..

Comment

Starlane,

The name is irrelevant. The lease (if it permits a reserve fund) will state what it is for. They don't have to tell you what it is for beyond that except in broad terms unless the lease says they do. In general sinking funds are there for things that only happen in a blue moon (every 20 years the roof blows off) - in general (depends on the lease) the purpose is not to pay for anticipated cyclic expenditure like "maintenance/only service provided insurance and no decoration for 7 years"

Comment

I always use reserve funds for cyclical expenditure, decorating etc. It helps leaseholders budget for major items .
              If the roof "blew off" , you would hope it would be an insurance matter.

Comment

At least half the leases I have seen state specifically that this is not what the reserve fund is for. So it depends, I agree

Comment

The RICS management code 7.5 states that "the intention of a reserve fund is to spread the costs of "use and occupation" as evenly as possible throughout the life of the lease to prevent penalising leaseholders who happen to be in occupation at a particular moment when major expenditure occurs".

It adds that "it is ... good practice to hold reserve funds where the leases permit. If the lease says the landlord "must" set up a fund, then this must be done,... No attempt to collect funds for a reserve fund should be made when the lease does not permit it".

Comment

RICS can't and does not dictate the use or purpose of a reserve fund or the way this is computed beyond what the lease says.

Comment

AndrewDod this is what our sinking fund can be used for..it does state decorating!
                      1. To set aside ( which setting aside shall for the purpose of the Sixth Schedule be deemed an item of expenditure incurred by the Lessor) such sums of money as the Lessors reasonably require to incur in replacing maintaining renewing and decorating those items which the lessor hereby covenants to replace maintain renew or decorate ( such sums set aside to be a sinking fund)

Comment

So if none of the monies have been used for the purpose of the sinking fund then would this be a breach of trust? And despite repeatedly asking what is the purpose, what are the monies for, please provide me with a statement of the account balance, are the monies held in an interest bearing account and how are they protected? I get BLANK response!

Comment

You are entitled to know what the fund is to be used for and how it has been calculated otherwise you do not know if it is reasonable or not. I would be tempted to suspend payment until you receive a reply and an explanation when the redecoration is to be carried out. That should prompt a response.

Comment

eagle2,

Thank you for all your help

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

RICS can't and does not dictate the use or purpose of a reserve fund or the way this is computed beyond what the lease says.
                              If someone applies to the FTT, it is always useful to quote the lease first and the RICS management code second.

Comment

Macromia,

Thank you for all your help I do appreciate all your different perspectives and wisdom

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Old managing agents accounts
                                  by jazzythumper
                                  Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
                                  20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
                                • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
                                  by eagle2
                                  The sale of the freehold is relevant, your claim would be against the current freeholder, who may not possess and may be unable to obtain the information which you require. It would be up to the new freeholder to try to recover monies from the previous freeholder The RTM Company is only relevant to...
                                  27-05-2022, 05:00 AM
                                • 2-1 transfer - what does Freeholder do?
                                  by Flashback1966
                                  I am a Freeholder. Have a flat there too. I have received an email from the leaseholder's soclitors acting for Mr A. They are doing a 2-1 transfer from the names of Mr A and Ms B to just Mr.

The solicitors want to know the requirements on completion.

Is is just a notice of...
                                  26-05-2022, 18:46 PM
                                • Reply to 2-1 transfer - what does Freeholder do?
                                  by flyingfreehold
                                  A "reasonable" notice fee is rather more than £5 !
                                  27-05-2022, 02:05 AM
                                  by AndrewDod
                                  On what exact basis is the "fee" - what does lease say? Since you are doing it yourself, if a fee is allowed, would have thought "reasonable" might be about £5 for 10 minutes
                                  26-05-2022, 21:34 PM
                                • Reply to Section 20
                                  by Anna1985
                                  Macromia , yes part of driveway demised to LL and part not demised to anyone.

According to lease the LL should his part to keep and maintain the said area edged bla in a neat and tidy condition and further to keep and maintain the fences belonging thereto in a good state of repair....
                                  26-05-2022, 20:46 PM
                                • Section 20
                                  by Anna1985
                                  So the lease allows for the property to be kept in good condition.
                                  Thus, the shared hall could be spruced up no problem, but there is an issue with driveway - partially it belongs to the freeholder, partially to the ground floor leaseholder - it is made out of the old paving stones, it looks...
                                  22-05-2022, 21:03 PM
                                  by sgclacy
                                  In addition to the notices sometime the lease may require a deed of covenant and therefore you may need to prepare a deed of Covenant

If there are any arrears these must be settled on completion...
                                  26-05-2022, 20:27 PM
                                  by Lawcruncher
                                  What does the lease say?

You do not need confirmation from Mrs B.
                                  26-05-2022, 20:27 PM
                                • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
                                  by Flashback1966
                                  The other flats are demanding I pay 38% of costs to extend leases when the freehold itself, a very comparable legal procedure, was calculated on an equal third share.

Confused. Did you extend the lease or buy the Frehold?

In my opinion, if the Freehold was purchased, it should...
                                  26-05-2022, 17:49 PM
                                Working...
                                X