Service charges Interim payment clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post

You can argue whether or not the charge is reasonable but it is difficult to argue that a reserve fund contribution is unreasonable.
    Last year they made a ridiculously low reserve demand for £37.00 and wont tell me what monies are in the reserve, in our lease its called the sinking fund NOT a reserve. This year they have made over a 2000% increase demand and wont say what the purpose of the sinking fund is for again. They have not undertaken any external repairs and cyclical decoration is well overdue. Not a penny of the reserve/sinking fund monies have been spent on the external structure repairs/maintenance/only service provided insurance and no decoration for 7 years!

Comment

Originally posted by Starlane View Post
      I would like to ask for your help and guidance - what is your definition of an interim payment?
      Any payment demanded before the annual service charge accounts for the year are finalised could be considered to be an interim payment.

1. The Lessee shall pay to the Lessor or managing agents as the case may be the Lessee’s proportion of:
      1. In advance in each year the amount which shall be reasonably estimated by the manging agents or the Lessor as the case may be of the Service Charge for the year
      2. Any further sums as shall be required by way of an interim charge during the course of the year
      This seems to allow the managing agents to demand the estimated service charge costs for the year in advance (which means that they can demand payment at any point before the end of the year if they reasonably estimate that the money will be needed).
      It also allows them to make additional demands as interim charges if they decide that previous demands they have made are not sufficient to cover all costs.

In my view the landlord has not complied with the lease the service charges are required to be paid quarterly according to the lease so I have told the landlord that the May demand is invalid

Can you shed any advice on the above and any case law as I don’t accept that I should be asked to pay out large sums of money in one go and don’t know what the monies are for or being spent on?
      Nothing that you have quoted suggests that the lease requires service charges to be demanded quarterly (although that could be in a part of the lease that you haven't quoted).

There is nothing in UK law that prevents leaseholders from having to pay out large sums of money - the only requirements are that the money is for costs that the lease makes payable by leaseholders and that the costs are reasonable. Hypothetically, section 20 consultation requirements also apply, but these can be avoided in most cases and don't necessarily have to be carried out before costs can be demanded.

The paragraph not in my lease clause reads "that the lessor shall be liable to pay " any further sums as shall be required by way of an interim charge during the course of the year"....but I am NOT the LESSOR I am the lessee?
      If the clause is not in your lease it has no relevance to you - unless, and until, a court or tribunal rules otherwise or both you and the freeholder agree that it does apply.

Comment

Starlane,

You can ask how they have calculated the reserve/sinking fund contribution. If it is calculated correctly, the amount should not vary substantially from year to year because the object of a reserve fund is to even out the costs over the life of the lease. You are also entitled to know how much is held in the reserve fund at the end of each year and you should be provided with a summary of the movements in that fund. Challenging the reserve fund contributions is another matter, it is extremely difficult to convince a tribunal that the contributions are unreasonable.

Comment

Interim charges should be defined within your lease but I agree with macromia that it usually means any charges payable on account and before the actual expenditure is known. What does your lease say about receiving an annual certificate showing the actual expenditure for the year and adjusting the interim charges to the actual amount payable? You should be credited if your share of the actual expenditure is less than the charges on account, although some leases state that any excess may be added to the reserve fund..

Comment

Starlane,

The name is irrelevant. The lease (if it permits a reserve fund) will state what it is for. They don't have to tell you what it is for beyond that except in broad terms unless the lease says they do. In general sinking funds are there for things that only happen in a blue moon (every 20 years the roof blows off) - in general (depends on the lease) the purpose is not to pay for anticipated cyclic expenditure like "maintenance/only service provided insurance and no decoration for 7 years"

Comment

I always use reserve funds for cyclical expenditure, decorating etc. It helps leaseholders budget for major items .
              If the roof "blew off" , you would hope it would be an insurance matter.

Comment

At least half the leases I have seen state specifically that this is not what the reserve fund is for. So it depends, I agree

Comment

The RICS management code 7.5 states that "the intention of a reserve fund is to spread the costs of "use and occupation" as evenly as possible throughout the life of the lease to prevent penalising leaseholders who happen to be in occupation at a particular moment when major expenditure occurs".

It adds that "it is ... good practice to hold reserve funds where the leases permit. If the lease says the landlord "must" set up a fund, then this must be done,... No attempt to collect funds for a reserve fund should be made when the lease does not permit it".

Comment

RICS can't and does not dictate the use or purpose of a reserve fund or the way this is computed beyond what the lease says.

Comment

AndrewDod this is what our sinking fund can be used for..it does state decorating!
                      1. To set aside ( which setting aside shall for the purpose of the Sixth Schedule be deemed an item of expenditure incurred by the Lessor) such sums of money as the Lessors reasonably require to incur in replacing maintaining renewing and decorating those items which the lessor hereby covenants to replace maintain renew or decorate ( such sums set aside to be a sinking fund)

Comment

So if none of the monies have been used for the purpose of the sinking fund then would this be a breach of trust? And despite repeatedly asking what is the purpose, what are the monies for, please provide me with a statement of the account balance, are the monies held in an interest bearing account and how are they protected? I get BLANK response!

Comment

You are entitled to know what the fund is to be used for and how it has been calculated otherwise you do not know if it is reasonable or not. I would be tempted to suspend payment until you receive a reply and an explanation when the redecoration is to be carried out. That should prompt a response.

Comment

eagle2,

Thank you for all your help

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

RICS can't and does not dictate the use or purpose of a reserve fund or the way this is computed beyond what the lease says.
                              If someone applies to the FTT, it is always useful to quote the lease first and the RICS management code second.

Comment

Macromia,

Thank you for all your help I do appreciate all your different perspectives and wisdom

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Share of feehold/shared service charges?
                                  by Stu1020
                                  Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on a sticky freehold situation.

I own a two-bed flat in a converted building with two one-beds. The lease states that a fair proportion is payable towards the service charge. However, there has been a running agreement of...
                                  20-05-2022, 11:39 AM
                                • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
                                  by Gordon999
                                  Since your flat has 2 bedrooms and other flats have one bedroom, you should keep the existing 38:31:31 split as fair contribution to the annual service charge account.

For lease extension, the cost is mainly solicitors charges plus registration charge at Land Registry and Mortgage Lender.(...
                                  28-05-2022, 10:48 AM
                                • Building works & S20 process
                                  by RichA
                                  Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
                                  21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
                                • Reply to Building works & S20 process
                                  by Gordon999
                                  The S20 consultation with leaseholders is required for any planned works which exceed £250 cost per flat.

If any planned works are quoted below £1000, you could place the order on the supplier with lowest quote. .

If the freeholder is self- managing the building maintenance,...
                                  28-05-2022, 09:56 AM
                                  by sgclacy
                                  You appear to have bought into the flat knowing at the time your share is 38% and having owned the flat feel that this is unjust.

Did you raise any concerns questions at the time of purchase that in a three flat split you would be paying more than 33.33% . Could it be argued that the unfairness...
                                  28-05-2022, 09:04 AM
                                  by eagle2
                                  The cost of extending a lease is not a service charge expense so there is no reason to allocate it on the 38/31/31 basis, your offer to split those costs equally seems to be reasonable. It is up to the freeholder to decide what is fair and reasonable for the service charges and it is up to the other...
                                  28-05-2022, 05:29 AM
                                • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
                                  by eagle2
                                  Unless the handover took place at the end of the financial year, it is the RTM's responsibility to produce the annual accounts. You could try making a formal complaint against the agent to supply copies of all supporting documents, it should belong to a redress scheme. The difficulty is that the agent...
                                  28-05-2022, 05:05 AM
                                • Old managing agents accounts
                                  by jazzythumper
                                  Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
                                  20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
                                • Freehold confusion
                                  by davetg
                                  30 years ago I bought a flat from a friend. The freehold at the time was registered to my friend and the lady who owned the other flat. I understood at the time that I would replace the friend on the freehold but this never happened. This was not a problem until now as when work on the structure of...
                                  24-05-2022, 14:29 PM
                                • Reply to Freehold confusion
                                  by CStevens
                                  davetg,

The property should be registered so the land registry should hold a copy of the leases. You would need to look at the leases to see who is responsible for what but normally in a maisonette situation the freeholder would insure and maintain the structure, foundation and roof with...
                                  27-05-2022, 21:58 PM
                                Working...
                                X