Extension to leasehold property - do lease plans have to be revised?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extension to leasehold property - do lease plans have to be revised?

Hi, I would be grateful for any views on a current situation that has arisen.

I live on a leasehold development which has 11 leaseholders divided into 4 properties. We all have identical leases. My block has been converted into 3 properties with the freeholder living in a house in one end. I have received planning notification from the local Council stating that the freeholder intends to build a side extension to her property. My questions are: would this be considered an increase in the footprint? If so, is it a legal requirement for her to arrange and pay for a Deed of Variation to all 11 leases as the plans will not be correct? Could this cause a problem selling my property if the leases are not changed? Thank you so much in advance for any advice.

Is the area into which the freeholder proposes to extend included in any area designated to be shared by the leaseholders?

Comment

The plans say that the extension will be built on to a side pathway which she states is for her sole use. This path runs alongside her end property and leads to her property’s front door. She is both freeholder & leaseholder. However, our leases state that all leaseholders have easement rights over pathways. So I am a bit confused! The director of the resident’s association has asked for some proof of her claim.

Comment

The path also runs alongside the driveway into the estate car park so is used by residents to enter/exit on foot.

Comment

In that case I would say that she cannot build as planned without the consent of all the leaseholders. I think that rather than asking her for proof she has the right to build you need to tell her she cannot build because the leaseholders have rights over the path. Best to check though that that is actually the case.

case.

Comment

Thank you, I appreciate your view. I have a feeling that permission is required but I am also responsible for paying 33% of the future maintenance and insurance for this 2-storey extension and wondering if the percentages should be adjusted ? I am just worried current lease plans will be void when selling if a Deed of Variation is not done at the same time.

Comment

I am also responsible for paying 33% of the future maintenance and insurance for this 2-storey extension

Normally the leases should be adjusted, so you pay a fair share. What is the wording on your lease?

Comment

Lease wording as follows: ‘The Service Charge or proportionate part is: (a) 29.72% of the costs of maintaining the Block numbers 4,5 & 6 (address) and
                (b) one eleventh of the cost of maintaining insuring and repairing the common parts including the drives, paths, parking spaces, outside lighting and garden’

Comment

I have asked freeholder to confirm if they are going to update leases but no response.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Freehold confusion
                    by CStevens
                    The property should be registered so the land registry should hold a copy of the leases. You would need to look at the leases to see who is responsible for what but normally in a maisonette situation the freeholder would insure and maintain the structure, foundation and roof with the leaseholders paying...
                    27-05-2022, 21:58 PM
                  • Freehold confusion
                    by davetg
                    30 years ago I bought a flat from a friend. The freehold at the time was registered to my friend and the lady who owned the other flat. I understood at the time that I would replace the friend on the freehold but this never happened. This was not a problem until now as when work on the structure of...
                    24-05-2022, 14:29 PM
                    by CStevens
                    Yeah i guess i would agree with that but, as you say, the value is only to the leaseholders and a freehold subject to 999 years is not worth a great deal of money to anyone other than the occupants and in fact, if the leases are drafted correctly, they should require the leaseholders to become members...
                    27-05-2022, 21:52 PM
                  • 2-1 transfer - what does Freeholder do?
                    by Flashback1966
                    I am a Freeholder. Have a flat there too. I have received an email from the leaseholder's soclitors acting for Mr A. They are doing a 2-1 transfer from the names of Mr A and Ms B to just Mr.

The solicitors want to know the requirements on completion.

Is is just a notice of...
                    26-05-2022, 18:46 PM
                  • Reply to 2-1 transfer - what does Freeholder do?
                    by Gordon999
                    I suggest you reply to leaseholder's solicitor and request a copy of the land registry title to confirm the name of new leaseholder plus £15 registration fee....
                    27-05-2022, 18:05 PM
                    by davetg
                    Thanks for the replies:-
                    My friend is alive and well and shows up on google as he is very high up in a big American telecoms company so I should be able to get back in touch.

I can't see my friend having any problem with the TR1 me replacing him on the freehold was always what was...
                    27-05-2022, 16:50 PM
                  • Section 20 costs
                    by lampshade
                    Having been issued with a section20 that requires a lot of expensive works to common area doors and the like, I am wondering what the situation is regarding an increase in quotations already given.
                    Materials prices are rising fast and we have no idea when the works will start so given that we...
                    18-11-2021, 06:32 AM
                  • Reply to Section 20 costs
                    by lampshade
                    It occurs to me and others that there us no responsible person. How can work so important be neglected for over 2 years and all thagt has happened is that leaseholders have been made to pay £000s each, for work that has not been carried out....

I and other leaseholders, are pretty...
                    27-05-2022, 13:06 PM
                  • Old managing agents accounts
                    by jazzythumper
                    Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
                    20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
                  • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
                    by jazzythumper
                    Since we have no reconciliation accounts, and the old managing agent didn’t pass on any account or funds to us, we have no way of knowing whether the debt was wiped with the sale of the freehold which I suspect it was. Sadly I don’t think it seems there is any way tl
                    find this info out?...
                    27-05-2022, 11:14 AM
                  Working...
                  X