Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak to downstairs from my bathroom

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago, my neighbour downstairs told me there was a leak from our family bathroom to theirs. It seemed it was only happening when we used the toilet, so we stopped using that toilet right away. I also notified my landlord right away. My landlord is very slow in responding as he is very elderly. He had a hard time finding a plumber (he is a bit picky). I tried to expedite the process by suggesting some reputable plumbers, but he said he said he wanted to go with someone he knows personally. He called several plumbers, and we even set a date and time for them to visit, but they didn't show up. Long story short, it's now more than a month, and still, we are waiting for the plumber to come just this week. Meanwhile, I was not using the family bathroom (which is kind of inconvenient) and had been heavily busy communicating with the neighbour downstairs (and tolerating his naggings), my landlord, and different plumbers.

Today, I had a dispute with the neighbour downstairs. In a very unfriendly manner, he told me it's my responsibility to take some actions asap. I told him I feel you, but you shouldn't see it as my fault as it's not my legal responsibility, but my landlord's. And I am doing everything in my power to sort this out asap to help you, but I feel you do not appreciate my efforts. I told him that the bottom line is that if your unhelpful attitude continues, I need to ask you to contact my landlord and plumber directly and sort it out directly among yourself.

Is what I said legally correct? There wasn't anything I could do that I didn't, and I kind of find it disrespectful to instead of appreciating my efforts I have to stand his somewhat rude behaviour. After all, it's my landlord responsibility to deal with these kinds of stuff, not mine.

Best,
    Tim

If the leak into flat below, is continuing even without your flushing the toilet for one month , the leak may be from the hot water tank .

One month is a long time without anyone coming to make repair the leak. .

Comment

I have been waiting for two years for a plumber to come - keep waiting in and they dont show up , it seems to be a common problem.
      they are using 'covid' as an excuse,

I would keep pestering your landlord, if you cannot use your bathroom its sort of very urgent

Comment

It seems the leak is happening on and off, and only when we flush the toilet.

I am right that it's my landlord's responsibility to sort this out and not me? If that's the case, I prefer not to get myself involved more than this, rather, leave it to my landlord and the neighbour to solve it between themselves. I'm fed up with trying to please all sides and eventually being accused of not being responsible enough.

Comment

But is it your problem at all? I think you've done enough and now a landlord have to take all responsibility.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Old managing agents accounts
            by jazzythumper
            would this be a good starting point?

https://www.lease-advice.org/faq/how...eing-used-for/...
            25-05-2022, 15:37 PM
          • Old managing agents accounts
            by jazzythumper
            Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
            20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
          • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
            by jazzythumper
            As in a simple application to the old managing agent Or freeholder? Which one?

To provide all accounts and payments based on the fact that we disagree with the charges? How far back can we go? And does having paid the service charges mean we have agreed to these?

Thanks for...
            25-05-2022, 15:31 PM
          • Reply to Freehold confusion
            by Section20z
            It's never advisable , it can cause serious issues if you have a claim affecting communal areas. For buildings insurance the whole property should be covered and the cost split between the two flats.
            The only problem with an absent freeholder is that when selling the flat a pernickity solicitor...
            25-05-2022, 10:02 AM
          • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
            by Stu1020
            Thank you for the response....
            25-05-2022, 09:40 AM
          • Reply to Freehold confusion
            by AndrewDod
            There is no cast iron rule that the freehold "share" has to be transferred with any sale. You may need to purchase it from the friend (or his estate)....
            25-05-2022, 09:22 AM
          • Share of feehold/shared service charges?
            by Stu1020
            Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on a sticky freehold situation.

I own a two-bed flat in a converted building with two one-beds. The lease states that a fair proportion is payable towards the service charge. However, there has been a running agreement of...
            20-05-2022, 11:39 AM
          • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
            by eagle2
            I suggest that you ask the other 2 leaseholders to explain why they consider that the current allocation is fair. The freeholder has the right to review the allocation from time to time. Unfortunately, a "fair proportion" means that several alternatives would be considered reasonable to a...
            25-05-2022, 06:27 AM
          • RTM Hand Over Issues
            by martin15
            RTM handing over issues

Our RTM companies comprise 4 blocks of 6 identical two bedroom flats and each block is registered at Companies House as a separate company.
            Following the acquisition date, it was discovered the former directors ignored legal advice and changed property management companies...
            23-05-2022, 19:36 PM
          • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
            by eagle2
            You appear to have a claim against the freeholder, not the individual companies, who are acting as agent for the freeholder. A Tribunal does not have the jurisdiction to deal with monies which should be handed over, it is a matter for the courts,
            25-05-2022, 06:16 AM
          Working...
          X