Bullying from a joint freeholder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bullying from a joint freeholder

Hey, I would really like some advice about this as I am a female who lives alone and I am getting worried. The couple who I share the freehold with (just 2 flats in the house), dont get along and we have had problems agreeing over maintenance. I avoid them as much as possible but a neighbour told me that they set up a whatsapp group for the street I live on and residents can ask to join via a gate-keeper (another neighbour on the street). I asked if I could join and didn’t get added. Since then the couple organised events on the street (a street party and carols etc) and I find out about them an hour before when I have already made plans. I work from home and if they want me to do something they will shout up at my windows on the first floor, even though I explained this feels like harassment. Whenever we have disputes the couple discuss this openly with other neighbours and recently I felt that people on the street just aren't as friendly to me as they used to be. Unlike them, I am a private person and don’t want to discuss these issues with anyone. recently, the man in the couple made horrible remarks about me to my building contractor recently, so I have no doubt he is doing making comments about me to other neighbours too. It may all sound petty to some but it is beginning to get to me and effect my mood. They are intelligent people and the bullying never turns into shouting but it is very subtle and underhand. Is there anything I can do? Has anyone been in a similar situation and can advise as I have to see them sometimes in the corridor and I do feel scared sometimes? I keep a record of incidents and try to have paper trail of our discussions on email. Thanks

Unfortunately I suspect that there is likely to be very little that you can do, other than keeping the record that you say you are already keeping.

If the situation is as you describe, your best option is likely to be to sell up and move out (if you can).

Others may be able to make other suggestions though.

Comment

Send neighbours xmas cards (multi pack so not expensive) with a hand written note inside wishing a merry christmas etc and your first name and address.

If you can print your photo on the note it helps to put a face to who you are.

Ignore your joint freeholders but try your best to be neighbourly and friendly with everyone else BUT dont gossip.

If your neighbours are decent they will see you for who you are rather than what theyve been told.

Its not an overnight solution and involves a lot of work on your part.

Give it 6 months, if no change then its time to plan a move.
      My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

It is quite possible that your joint freeholder is trying to force you to sell, they may wish to purchase your property. All sorts of devious tactics have been used in the past. There is little point in making a complaint, it will only make things worse. It then becomes a question of how much can you take? The advice to sell should be considered but you may find obstacles placed by the joint freeholder so that you do not achieve a genuine market price, followed by a lower offer by the joint freeholder or someone on their behalf. Alternatively, you may wish to try to talk to them and try to discover what is the real issue and try to reach an agreement. That would not be easy but it could save you a lot of hassle.

Comment

Have you thought about renting the place and just giving the old neighbour an email address for communication with an auto response saying I only pick up email from this account once a month. Not ideal but another option.

Comment

Hey, I have thought about renting but I love my flat and had expensive new kitchen put in. Not sure I would be happy if tenants damaged. Also, I think that my mortgage restricts letting out my flat. I love the area and was happy until the couple took over the joint freehold. I might get a tenant to rent my spare room as they are not as bullying towards me when I have a flat-mate. Safety in numbers....

Comment

That seems like a great idea letting out a spare room. Make sure its someone who would not feel intimidated. Also agree with Xmas cards every bit helps. Also tell all contractors not to engage with them at all and ignore them.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X