Lease variation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease variation

My mum bought a leasehold flat over 10 years ago. The week before she exchanged contracts, she received a letter to say that the Resident Management Company had voted at an EGM on an ordinary resolution to vary a restriction in the lease which stated that a single pet could be kept, to say that no pets could be kept. There is a clause in the lease that says that the landlord (ie the RMC) can make changes to the terms of the lease for the safety and comfort of all of the residents (or words to that effect). Through unexpected and extenuating circumstances, she now needs to look after a dog for an extended period. On that basis, I'm trying to work out if a/ the decision to add a restriction that impacts all residents can be made by an ordinary resolution (simple majority) or if it would need a special resolution (75% majority) or even if would need unanimous agreement? b/ does such a variation need to be recorded formally with a deed of variation? c/ does the variation need to be registered with land registry? (for example, if she died and we sold the flat, how would a potential buyer be aware of such a variation?)

Thanks in advance!

The members are entitled to pass resolutions and the one you describe would be an ordinary resolution, I would hope that there is some interim measure to allow residents adequate time to make alternative arrangements, it would be unreasonable to make a change such as that overnight.

If the lease states that the RMC has the right to amend the rules and regulations applying to the building, it only needs to inform the leaseholders, strictly there is no need for the members to make the decision.

Subject to the above, the RMC is not varying the terms of the lease and whenever a leaseholder wishes to sell, the rules and regulations at the time should be supplied to the prospective purchaser.

Comment

I think we need to see the wording of the clause which allows variation and the wording of the proposed alteration. Please quote in full.

Comment

The clause says: The landlord reserves the right to make such other restrictions from time to time (either in addition to or by way of variation of or substation for the se restrictions or any of them) as the landlord may deem necessary or expedient for the management care and cleanliness of the property and for securing the safety comfort and convenience of all the occupiers and any visitors to the flats comprised in the property any such other restriction as aforesaid shall be deemed to be incorporated herein.

Comment

eagle2,

The management company is, though, specifically varying a restrictive clause in the lease. On that basis, I believe it needs a formal deed of variation to be lodged. Is that not correct?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Share of feehold/shared service charges?
            by Stu1020
            Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on a sticky freehold situation.

I own a two-bed flat in a converted building with two one-beds. The lease states that a fair proportion is payable towards the service charge. However, there has been a running agreement of...
            20-05-2022, 11:39 AM
          • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
            by eagle2
            I suggest that you ask the other 2 leaseholders to explain why they consider that the current allocation is fair. The freeholder has the right to review the allocation from time to time. Unfortunately, a "fair proportion" means that several alternatives would be considered reasonable to a...
            25-05-2022, 06:27 AM
          • RTM Hand Over Issues
            by martin15
            RTM handing over issues

Our RTM companies comprise 4 blocks of 6 identical two bedroom flats and each block is registered at Companies House as a separate company.
            Following the acquisition date, it was discovered the former directors ignored legal advice and changed property management companies...
            23-05-2022, 19:36 PM
          • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
            by eagle2
            You appear to have a claim against the freeholder, not the individual companies, who are acting as agent for the freeholder. A Tribunal does not have the jurisdiction to deal with monies which should be handed over, it is a matter for the courts,
            25-05-2022, 06:16 AM
          • Old managing agents accounts
            by jazzythumper
            Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
            20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
          • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
            by eagle2
            You do not appear to hold sufficient information to make a claim against the freeholder at this stage. I suggest that you apply to the FTT to challenge the charges. You would then be able to ask the Tribunal to direct the freeholder to disclose further information....
            25-05-2022, 06:06 AM
          • Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
            by Macromia
            With just two properties involved, and you being a resident, your best option would probably be to agree a time to talk through the proposed work and the need to skip the full 30 days that are supposed to be allowed for each stage of consultation.
            If the other leaseholder has any major concerns,...
            25-05-2022, 02:52 AM
          • S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
            by Flatman78
            Hi LZ Community

Just wondering if anyone's had/having any issues with S20 and allowing leaseholder 30 days to review estimates, raise concerns etc.

Building material prices have fluctuated massively since covid and brexit.
            with a combination of Brexit, impact from russia/ukraine...
            23-05-2022, 14:42 PM
          • Reply to Section 20
            by Macromia
            This really doesn't help at all.

In what was does the driveway partially belong to the freeholder and partially to the leaseholder?
            Are you saying that part of the driveway is demised to this leaseholder and part is undemised and therefore a common area? Or does the freeholder have...
            25-05-2022, 02:39 AM
          • Reply to Freehold confusion
            by sgclacy
            Your friend may not have to have his ID confirmed as the consideration will be far less than £5,000 and if he did form ID5 makes life a lot easier as it can be done via a video link...
            24-05-2022, 19:59 PM
          Working...
          X