Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknowingly received a CCJ for unpaid service charge

Hi,

I own a flat in London which is managed by {Name Removed}. I had been living in New York for the last 3 years and had notified them that I needed to be notified of service charge payments via email rather than post as I obviously wouldn't have access to post.

In June this year they had sent me a letter (no email) notifying me of the service charge and ground rent payments. Despite having all my contact details on file, they did not send me an email. A debt collector/solicitor {Name Removed} was the appointed to collect the payment. They too only sent me a physical letter and an email to my old work email address which bounced back. Once again they did not make any effort to contact me despite {Name Removed} having all my contact details on file for myself, my brother and even my parents. Next thing I know I have a County Court Judgment for not paying it, which has also past the 28-day period so I will have to incur additional costs to overturn it.

I know that I have a duty to make the payments myself but I just cannot believe that I've gone from not being properly contacted about this to ending up with a CCJ. I have on record emails from myself requesting to be informed of such payments by email, and as I said they have all my contact details on file and could have just contacted me rather than taking legal action; I would have just paid it straight away.

It's very frustrating and feels like a money-making scheme to me; does anyone have any advice or had similar experience with {Name Removed}? I know I can just make the payment and pay the extra cost to overturn the CCJ but to be honest I don't want to let them get away with this and am willing to risk a bit of money to file a counter claim against them.

I'd set up a mail re-direct for post addressed to you to your address in London.
    There are a number of documents and notices that are meant to be served to an actual address (and need to to be valid).
    Many leases and their covenants and terms pre-date the notion of electronic communication.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

We are only allowed to comment in general terms, so you may wish to remove any names from your post.

Without any reference to specific freeholders, it is a familiar tactic of some freeholders to act in the hope that you will not receive the demands, in fact some do not issue any demands at all. They then add large additional sums as administration charges and "legal" fees,

Against that of course, you should be aware that charges will arise and you will be expected to make an effort to find out the amount payable and pay a reasonable amount.

I suggest that you apply to the court to overturn the CCJ and ensure that you pay any reasonable amount which is payable, making it crystal clear which items you are paying and importantly what you are not paying. I suggest that you dispute the administration charges and legal fees and ask them to be determined by the FTT.

Comment

Thank you. I have heard of such tactics from others and I can't believe they expect to get away with it.

I just spoke to a friend who lived in apartment managed by the same service provider and they were so bad that the residents teamed up to form a group to have them fired and replaced.

I think I will look into putting together a similar group once this is resolved. I'm not going to let them get away with this.

Comment

Freeholders do get away with it because the majority of leaseholders just pay up instead of challenging the unreasonable charges. Forming a RTM Company may be a solution if you can obtain support from 50% of the leaseholders.

Comment

A similar thing happened to me but it was an RTM director who was scamming with the complicity of the agent. The debt collector claimed it had already gone to the county court and sent a fake CC document. When I asked for the case number to defend it, I never heard from him again. I paid only the service charges, made a 'formal complaint' through the agent, which was pointless except it shows a court you tried to avoid litigation, and then stated that I was taking an action against the RTM at the Tribunal . It took 18 months to resolve because I was told the 'arrears' had been removed but they weren't. I received invoices with no arrears but the arrears were still there when I requested a copy of my service charge account!

Things got far worse and I was pestered with nuisance letters and baseless demands for money which were clearly coming from the same director with the complicity of the agent. These were on the agent's letterhead but contained demands and fines on the same notice and a further sum was taken from my account without my knowledge.

Only when documents were disclosed for a tribunal case following years of harassment did I discover that he had targeted a group of 12 flat owners as soon as the funds were transferred from the freeholder and pocketed £450 each from their service charge accounts by making false entries in the accounts which he clearly had access to at the agent's premises. The agent was also paying him by cheque on request and with no legal authority (contrary to their contract) from the service charge funds.

This went on for 5 years until he resigned and I could not have discovered it without the disclosure of documents for the case. These scams were only possible because the lessees were kept out of the loop. There were no AGMs, no section 20 consultation and no access to supporting documents. When I requested access to the RTM documents, I was ignored. It's much less stressful to involve others and get some control as Eagle2, AndrewDodd and others suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by Maite View Post
              A similar thing happened to me but it was an RTM director who was scamming with the complicity of the agent.
              That is a shocking story, especially when a fellow leaseholder was involved. Criminal action should be brought against those concerned. Have you reported it to the police? I suggest that you also inform your MP.

It is always worth requesting supporting documents in order to try to understand the charges, you should not need to apply to the FTT in order to obtain disclosure. It is also worth keeping in touch and comparing notes with other leaseholders. It is much easier if you can act together and exchange ideas and share the workload,

Comment

In our building the directors decided to use the sinking fund to upgrade a fellow director's bathroom. When one - newly elected - director objected, they called an EGM to vote him out. The new director responded by forwarding the invoice to all the leaseholder to prove his case. Instead of responding to the clear and proven allegation by this director, they have sent several lengthy emails defaming him instead, accusing him of stealing personal information about the leaseholders etc etc etc.

And apparently this dissenting director's emails have been turned off by the other directors (separate mailbox in the name of the building), so we have not heard from him since he exposed them. Unfortunately, all of this is just highly confusing to most residents. The fact stated by this whistleblower director has been proven. Invoice and all. They haven't even been refuted by these corrupt directors. The allegations stated by these disgruntled directors haven't. But what can we do? Once he is voted off, they will continue.

In the meantime our service charges have nearly doubled in the past 2 years, our building is run badly and two of the directors have newly painted front doors - painted by the tradesman who got the contract to paint our lobby. No prizes for guessing that this was not separately paid for by the directors. It is all very unpleasant. The only ones benefitting from all of this is the management company, who keep recommending major works and sec 20s to these out of depth directors, and the directors using the sinking fund to upgrade their properties.

This whole system needs to change.

Comment

There are quite a few things you could so as leaseholder. The question is why you are complaining here and talking to fellow leaseholders?

Comment

London2021

The simplest way of proceeding is for the members to vote to add new directors and remove the existing directors at the EGM

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to AGM cancelled.
                      by Grumio
                      One of the directors is cooperating, but we’re not sure if that’s enough. He’s going to register us at companies house regardless of what the other 2 say. His view on the situation is, leaseholders are entitled to be directors, there is nothing in the articles that state directors must be approved...
                      26-01-2022, 20:26 PM
                    • AGM cancelled.
                      by Grumio
                      Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
                      26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
                      by Grumio
                      Thanks for the reply,

The directors issued the invitations. The AGM wasn’t adjourned or postponed, it was cancelled. Fortunately one of the directors is more than happy to go ahead with the process even if the other two don’t want to get involved....
                      26-01-2022, 20:16 PM
                    • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                      by Section20z
                      Any examples please of tribunal increasing a percentage specified in a lease ? Thank you....
                      26-01-2022, 19:22 PM
                    • Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                      by Santa Fe
                      Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
                      24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
                    • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                      by Macromia
                      Agreed, but the issue here is that the lease that the person complaining has doesn't say that they are required to pay 25%, it apparently says that they have to pay "a fair and reasonable proportion".

With this being the case, they are fully entitled to challenge an equal split...
                      26-01-2022, 19:07 PM
                    • Reply to Who owns the windows in a flat above a commercial premises
                      by Macromia
                      Very true.
                      This doesn't answer the question of who is responsible, but it could potentially be cheaper (and less hassle) for the OP if they can find a company willing to replace the windows without scaffolding.
                      There is, of course, the possibility that the freeholder would refuse to allow...
                      26-01-2022, 18:41 PM
                    • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
                      by Macromia
                      For something like this, the reasons are of vital importance.
                      Anyone can, of course, choose not to reveal details, but anyone making that choice should not complain at all if other forum users respond with answers that the person who isn't being completely open considers not to be relevant....
                      26-01-2022, 18:37 PM
                      by fos333
                      If invitations were sent out then it can't be cancelled, it can be adjourned, postponed, however, if the other director is willing to go ahead with the meeting it will be a valid meeting as long as it's quorate. I don't agree with eagle2 that it will only be seen as an informal meeting, all directors...
                      26-01-2022, 18:19 PM
                    • Who owns the windows in a flat above a commercial premises
                      by andyg1
                      I am the landlord of a 2 bedroom 2nd floor flat above a commercial premises ( car showroom ) . The showroom is run by the Freeholder and they own 8 flats of the 12 in the building . A few years ago without my knowledge they erected scaffolding and replaced the old single glazed metal windows in their...
                      25-01-2022, 14:52 PM
                    Working...
                    X