Do I own this land?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I own this land?

I own an old miners cottage with an illegible lease dating back nearly 200 years. For all intents and purposes it is freehold since even the freeholder is unable to read the terms of the lease. This, I am led to believe, is not actually that uncommon. When reading my title, I find in 1987 a previous owner appears to have bought a small yard area behind my property. I am trying to understand if this belongs to me. As I am in the process of buying the neighbouring property, and the only one that requires access over this small yard area, I wan't to know if I can now enclose it and make it a private yard. Only these two properties open onto it, and it is only exclusively by these two properties since other properties have communal space outside the rear of their own cottages. If anyone can understand based on the title document and plan below, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

NB The image is a bit misleading as the extension of no.32 is actually as good as full width, so no windows or doors opening onto the yellow area as a result.

NOTE: The lease comprises also other land
    3 The rent has been informally apportioned as to £1 in respect of the land in this title.

4 The land has the benefit of the following rights granted by a Transfer of the land in this title dated 9 February 1987 made between (1) XXX ana (2) XXX
    (Transferer [should be transferee?]) :-

"TOGETHER ALSO WITH (in common with the Vendor and its successors in title and all others entitled there to) a right of way over the common yard coloured yellow on the said plan for the Transferee and his successors in title in connection only with the use and enjoyment of the property hereby transferred"

NOTE: Copy plan filed.

5. The Transfer dated 9 February 1987 referred to above contains the following provision:

"IT IS HEREBY AGREED AND DECLARED as follows:-

"(b) All rights of water drainage electricity and other services shall remain as they existed immediately prior to the execution of the Transfer and the Transferee and his successors in title shall pay a proportionate part of the cost of the maintenance repair and renewal of such joint drains sewers and other services and also the common yard-shown Coloured yellow on the said plan

(c) The walls separating the property hereby transferred from the adjoining properties numbered 2 and 6 aforesaid shall be party walls and maintained and repaired at the joint and equal expense of the owners of the properties separated thereby."

6 Unless otherwise mentioned the title includes any legal easements granted by the registered lease (s) but is subject to any rights that reserves, so far as those easements and rights exist and benefit or affect the registered land.

I'm certainly no solicitor, but I don't see that indicating that you own it, merely that you have right of way. Did you download the Title Plan, or just the register? I think for a common yard, there may be rights of way, but someone tends to own it, so would hope for it to be included in the Plan for #2 or #4.

Comment

It was the bit that says "granted by a Transfer of the land in this title dated 9 February 1987 made between (1) XXX ana (2) XXX" that made me think the land ownership of that specific area itself was transferred. I can't seen any reason why an easement would have been needed otherwise as the cottages always had access to the rear yard long before 1987.

Comment

You may well be right, I probably shouldn't be in that lane, but interested due to having a similar 'common yard' arrangement. I would think the filed Plan (ie the one that can be downloaded for £3) should depict what land is included (usually outlined in red) - but if that's what your picture is, it doesn't shed much light. Either way, I guess you will hold the aces by owning both.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
          by Flatman78
          Hi LZ Community

Just wondering if anyone's had/having any issues with S20 and allowing leaseholder 30 days to review estimates, raise concerns etc.

Building material prices have fluctuated massively since covid and brexit.
          with a combination of Brexit, impact from russia/ukraine...
          23-05-2022, 14:42 PM
        • Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
          by Flatman78
          Thanks Gordon999

You can see from above reply to Macromia that's your comment wouldn't be relevant to me. there is no managing agent. It's just me (FH) and LH in upstairs flat.
          Thanks for taking time to reply though....
          23-05-2022, 20:29 PM
        • Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
          by Flatman78
          Thanks Macromia, I'm hoping not to have to request quotes to include extra 'contingency' as I know some building materials literally jumped by up to 80% pretty much overnight and so I / we could end up paying a hell of a lot more than we have to go with a 'protective' quote.

It's only me...
          23-05-2022, 20:27 PM
        • RTM Hand Over Issues
          by martin15
          RTM handing over issues

Our RTM companies comprise 4 blocks of 6 identical two bedroom flats and each block is registered at Companies House as a separate company.
          Following the acquisition date, it was discovered the former directors ignored legal advice and changed property management companies...
          23-05-2022, 19:36 PM
        • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
          by ash72
          You could sue the other company for the money owed.
          23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
        • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
          by Hudson01
          I am clearly no expert but i think this statement from the all knowing WWW appears to fit the bill for what has happened to you.................

'' Fraud can be broadly defined as the deliberate use of deception or dishonesty to disadvantage or cause loss (usually financial) to another...
          23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
        • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
          by Gordon999
          You could show the last service charge demanded by previous managing agent . There should be a final summary of the service charge account.to show the unspent funds.
          23-05-2022, 18:26 PM
        • Old managing agents accounts
          by jazzythumper
          Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
          20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
        • Building works & S20 process
          by RichA
          Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
          21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
        • Reply to Building works & S20 process
          by Macromia
          Good questions.
          The fact that the cost of work means that Section 20 consultation is required doesn't necessarily mean that it is major work that will require a project manager and, although most leases will contain clauses that allow the cost of project management to be recovered from leaseholders,...
          23-05-2022, 18:23 PM
        Working...
        X