Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Licence to alter refused to install stove burner in existing open fire

Hey all,

Any similar experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated.

We are leaseholders of a ground floor maissonette.We recently applied for a licence to alter from our freeholder (housing association, the lease was initially with council as freeholders. The permission was to install a DEFRA inset stove burner into the existing fireplace opening (no structural change) and line the flue up to the existing uncapped chimney, all installed by HETAS engineer in line with building regulation. The freeholder refused upon the basis of below:

“The surveyor has advised that we are unable to grant consent for a wood burning stove as the (freeholder) policy has advised that the risk for an open flued appliance is not one (freeholder) can enter into.”

Wehave requested further clarification on which policy is being referred to. There is nothing in our lease that relates to the chimney, is it a building insurance policy issue (which the lease states we should receive yearly documents but don’t).

The difficult thing for us to understand is we already have an open fire place with hearth which I would assume we can burn smokeless fuel (we are in a smoke free zone), surely the proposal to put a safer open fuelled is better?

Is the risk the open flue appliance in our property or the flue lining?

Are there any grounds to appeal? We have a fireplace and would like to use it.

Many thanks in advance.

Have you pointed out the existing open fireplace is there - you'd be amazed what people don't know or don't see unless directed.
    My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

Hi Land-lord man,

yes we have said it is an existing fireplace, however we think they have made a blanket decision without considering the existing scenario. We intend to find grounds for appeal and have requested more context, we will include images of the existing fireplace in our appeal.

Thanks for you comment.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X