Building on communal areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building on communal areas

I recently bought a new build apartment. The communal area included landscaped gardens and an area for bins. The boundaries of the garden area were clearly highlighted in the brochures and in the lease.It has recently come to my attention that the lessee is trying to sell half of the garden as he has planning permission for 4 more apartments. This clearly reduces and changes the demarcation of the garden area. The lease does state that the lessee can make changes to the communal areas, but can he go as far as changing the boundaries of the garden and reducing my neighbour's sea view?
    If he is technically allowed to do this is there a case that he missold or misrepresented the apartment as having a landscaped garden area which would be reduced to being an area for bins without a garden?
    All opinions welcome,
    Many thanks.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dilapidated Flat
    by JK0
    Because service charges are for decorating the insides of everyone's flat?
    04-12-2021, 13:09 PM
  • Dilapidated Flat
    by scot22
    In a block of 24, unfortunately one flat has become dilapidated. The new owner has bought cheaply. She is now demanding the Freeholder pays to refurbish it claiming they have been negligent. Is there a reasonable case ?
    04-12-2021, 11:21 AM
  • Reply to Dilapidated Flat
    by Macromia
    What is the precise nature of the 'dilapidation'?
    And what does the lease say about the maintenance responsibilities of the leaseholder and freeholder?
    04-12-2021, 12:58 PM
  • Reply to Legal Action Against Landlord - Local Council
    by Gordon999
    If you have 91 years remaining, you should wait to see what leasehold reforms are offered next year by the Housing Minister.
    04-12-2021, 11:28 AM
  • Bequest of lease in my will
    by HazeltonLane
    Hi all,

I am writing my will and want a family member to inherit the lease on my flat (900+ years remaining) so they can live there or sell it as they desire.

However…

The lease states the following under the section entitled Lessee's obligations:
    "The...
    18-11-2021, 15:31 PM
  • Reply to Bequest of lease in my will
    by Lawcruncher
    Write back and say:

I appreciate that the council's legal team cannot give me personal legal advice, but that is not what I am seeking. What I want to know is what the council's requirements will be on my death.

By virtue of section 1 of the Administration of Estates Act 1925,...
    04-12-2021, 10:43 AM
  • Reply to Legal Action Against Landlord - Local Council
    by Isaac1400
    Thanks. I am trying to find a good legal service that can do this for me.. However the price I am looking to pay for a full lease extension is around £7k. This is the formal way where they add 90 years rather than the one where you negotiate with the landlord for a slightly cheaper price but not as...
    04-12-2021, 06:34 AM
  • Legal Action Against Landlord - Local Council
    by Isaac1400
    Hi,

Hoping someone can advise. I am leaseholder and the landlord is a local council. my property is a flat and there are about 55 flats spread out over 3 floors.

Now the problem is that over the years the council has failed to maintain the exterior and communal areas - including...
    02-12-2021, 07:13 AM
  • Minimum Leasehold extension
    by ILD
    Hi there,

is there a minimum amount of time that a leasehold extension should be for?

Somehow I had it in mind it was 90yrs on top of the remaining period.

I have just been quoted £9.7k to extend 67yrs to 125yrs on a flat that is worth £70k

I queried...
    29-11-2021, 09:42 AM
  • Reply to Minimum Leasehold extension
    by Anna1985
    Hi, my math is not working today Could you please explain how did you arrive at 11.78? Thank you...
    04-12-2021, 03:38 AM
Working...
X