Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice please Leasehold titles

Hi
    I am brand new to this forum so please accept my apologies if I’ve posted in the wrong place etc.
    I bought / mortgage my home in 2009 and downloaded my title deed from LR but received a title deed which apparently is a leasehold title which I was unaware existed.
    My title says title good but the leasehold title says absolute.
    Ive tried contacting the company named on the leasehold title but had no response from them as the address is registered to lots of other companies as well so assume it’s a postal address only.

My questions are:
    Can I buy this leasehold off them ?
    If I can, what can I do with the leasehold title?
    Can I gift or put it in some kind of trust just for my Dad in his name as I can’t put him on my mortgage as he’s to old.
    How do I contact the leaseholders who are on my title deeds ?
    Is there a possibility they would add my Dad rather than me to their files or does it have to be me as it’s my mortgage? .

He lives here with me now as he’s 86yrs old and after Covid he’s got used to staying with me and I love him being here rather than him go back to his empty house by himself.
    He’s a very very proud man and always owned his own home until my Mum passed away and he’s never going to feel 100% comfortable here as I think he feels like he’s ‘a guest/lodger’ so I’d like to give him something that would make him feel like he’s part of our house.
    I’m not to well myself and have left him a lifelong interest in the house in my will so if anything happens to me he’s never got to worry but I’m worried about the leasehold thing if anything did happen to me and would sincerely appreciate any advice someone could offer.
    I probably haven’t explained this properly so tell me if I need to rewrite this .
    Many thanks in advance
    Jan

What type of property is it?

I think you may be confusing leasehold and freehold titles. If your property is a flat then your title will be leasehold. There will be a separate title for the freehold. However, it is not impossible for the freehold and leasehold to be on the same title when, at first registration for instance, the freeholder and leaseholder are one in the same party.

If it is a house, there could be leasehold and freehold titles but more usually there will be one title: freehold.

Check the wording on the documents you downloaded from the Land Registry and post the headlines on this forum.

Comment

What are the starting dates on freehold title ( title holder in your name ) and the leasehold title ( title holder in company name ) ?

Did the leasehold title start and finish before you purchased the property ?

Comment

Yes..its easy to get confused by the Land Registry and the page that lists the Leasehold & Freehold title.
        Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X