Does this mean I'd own the loft space?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this mean I'd own the loft space?

Hi, I'm in the process of buying a flat, it's a top floor flat in a purpose built block that has 12 flats in total (3 stories) and I want to know if I'd own the space in the loft, both my solicitor and the seller's solicitor say that I would, but I'm not 100% sure.

I don't have any intentions of converting it into a room or anything like that, I just want to use it for storage, maybe board it up eventually. The only way to access it is through a hatch in the flat.

This is what the leasehold says, there is another clause indicating that the freeholder is responsible for maintaining and repairing the roof and roof structure:

IN CONSIDERATION of the Premium paid by the Lessee to the Lessor (payment and receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged) and of the rents and covenants and provisions herein contained the Lessor with full title guarantee HEREBY DEMISES unto the Lessee the Premises as shown edged red on the Plan including:

(2)(As to premises on any other level(s)) the balcony where provided and (as to premises on the top floor) the roof and supporting structure situate above such premises

Since the roof is demised to u, then the roof space is also part of ur demise.

Comment

That would be extremely unusual for freeholder to maintain the roof if it's demised to you

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
        That would be extremely unusual for freeholder to maintain the roof if it's demised to you
        Unusual, perhaps, but also not impossible.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X