Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tipper View Post
    Surely all you need to do is declare independence and takeover the management of your block as a RTM company?

Who owns the freehold is irrelevant.
    I suppose it's about the path of least resistance. An amicable separation, and a reasonable settlement with regards to the common parts.

But yes, RTM could.be fine as the freehold issue could be sidestepped in part. But the tricky questions about car park and communal grounds would remain.

Comment

It has nothing to do with the enfranchisement legislation, you already own the freehold, manage the blocks and you are required to comply with the lease, Splitting the freehold makes no sense as you would need a valuation, one block is clearly worth more than the other. It could create a capital gains tax liability on the part disposal, You would then be faced with trying to amend the leases and why would half the members agree to pay more than their current contributions without some form of compensation? There would be substantial costs involved. You have not thought it through.

Comment

An RTM for one block would not alter the service charge contributions, it would only complicate matters because it would be unable to make service charge demands without knowing the costs of the other block.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post
          It has nothing to do with the enfranchisement legislation, you already own the freehold, manage the blocks and you are required to comply with the lease, Splitting the freehold makes no sense as you would need a valuation, one block is clearly worth more than the other. It could create a capital gains tax liability on the part disposal, You would then be faced with trying to amend the leases and why would half the members agree to pay more than their current contributions without some form of compensation? There would be substantial costs involved. You have not thought it through.
          I don't own the freehold. The company that I'm a member of does. You don't seem to understand this subject very well at all, so PLEASE refrain from commenting any further.

Comment

The gain and the tax would fall on the existing freehold company , but if there is corporation tax to be paid on the gain, the funds will of course be there to meet the liability.

Comment

Originally posted by sgclacy View Post

The gain and the tax would fall on the existing freehold company , but if there is corporation tax to be paid on the gain, the funds will of course be there to meet the liability.

I doubt that the liability has been considered and I am not even sure that "the plan" is to provide for monies to be paid to the company.

Comment

The correct way to proceed would be to call a meeting of members of the Company, explain your "plan" to the members and seek their approval, You ought to ask an independent person to advise the members whether or not to approve the "plan".

Before that stage, you need to consider your "plan" thoroughly,

Comment

The correct way to proceed would be to call a meeting of members of the Company, explain your "plan" to the members and seek their approval, You ought to ask an independent person to advise the members whether or not to approve the "plan".

Before that stage, you need to consider your "plan" thoroughly,
                  As I previously pointed out your "advice" isn't pertinent to the question, which was about the mechanics of RTE in this particular circumstance, not whether or not it is a good idea. So please, for that last time, keep your "advice" to yourself.

Comment

As I suspected, you do not believe that the members of the Company would approve your half baked scheme. You should drop the scheme and resign as a director,

Lets get this straight, you want to remove your block from the existing Company and you want to leave that Company with only the other block yet the leaseholders of that block would only control 50% of the Company, Do you seriously consider that to be fair?

Comment

As I suspected, you do not believe that the members of the Company would approve your half baked scheme. You should drop the scheme and resign as a director,

Lets get this straight, you want to remove your block from the existing Company and you want to leave that Company with only the other block yet the leaseholders of that block would only control 50% of the Company, Do you seriously consider that to be fair?
                      Clearly you can't read, or can't be bothered to:

"An amicable divorce is what I'm after."

It wouldn't leave the leaseholders of the other block with only 50%. If the freehold were split, the people in our block would no longer qualify as per the articles as members of the original company. So the other block would have 100% control of their own block. You are just making up stuff as you go along.

Now for the last time, please stop clogging up this thread with your irrelevant, incorrect and annoying comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea Cunningham View Post
                        Now for the last time, please stop clogging up this thread with your irrelevant, incorrect and annoying comments.
                        You can't dictate who or how people respond on an open forum.

If you check your profile, there is an option to hide posts from people that you do not wish to see, although it might disrupt the flow of the forum.
                        That's quite useful if you find the responses of someone undesirable.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If you expect to receive advice, you should supply all the relevant information,

If you want "an amicable divorce", arrange a meeting of members as suggested and enquire what the other members want,

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                            You can't dictate who or how people respond on an open forum.

If you check your profile, there is an option to hide posts from people that you do not wish to see, although it might disrupt the flow of the forum.
                            That's quite useful if you find the responses of someone undesirable.
                            Sure - but it is sending this thread completely off on a tangent because someone else has a bee in his bonnet. Hence my frustration.

Comment

These are discussion forums, largely providing advice, but not necessarily limited to purely the scope of a question. So, the correct way to respond to comments that you might think irrelevant is to not reply. If you truly feel that comments are diverting a thread in an unwanted direction then contact a moderator (me), but please don't instruct other forum members to stop contributing.
                              I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Originally posted by Moderator2 View Post
                                These are discussion forums, largely providing advice, but not necessarily limited to purely the scope of a question. So, the correct way to respond to comments that you might think irrelevant is to not reply. If you truly feel that comments are diverting a thread in an unwanted direction then contact a moderator (me), but please don't instruct other forum members to stop contributing.
                                - I asked, I didn't instruct. And I've blocked them so I'll no longer see their irrelevant content.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Insurance
                                  by jazzythumper
                                  When the freehold of our building was sold, the old freeholder cancelled the buildings insurance which we had paid for in advance through our service charge.

A new policy was taken out by the new freeholder. A refund for the previous policy has been given to the previous freeholder but...
                                  03-04-2022, 20:24 PM
                                • Reply to Insurance
                                  by jazzythumper
                                  I’ve managed to get the refund from the previous insurers, which is good, over £1,000 that we wouldn’t have had otherwise in our funds.
                                  18-05-2022, 15:51 PM
                                • Breaches of Model Articles
                                  by Starlane
                                  ram Our articles require a quorum for board and for shareholder meetings. It has come to light after the event that a director has called a meeting on their own and appointed another director, the meeting was inquorate and no members were made aware that this was going on, additionally no meeting has...
                                  06-05-2022, 16:02 PM
                                • Reply to Breaches of Model Articles
                                  by Starlane
                                  The Articles require a quorum for the board and shareholders, one of the directors sold their flat...I was not aware and find out months later that the director has been acting on their own then a new shareholder came onboard and again did not know that he had been appointed a director.They wont call...
                                  18-05-2022, 15:38 PM
                                • Section 20 notice of planned works not disclosed by vendor
                                  by Lexa
                                  Hi all

I purchased a flat last August and asked my solicitor specifically to check if any section 20 notices for planned works have been served. Their report dated 31/07/21 states no and so does the Leasehold Management Pack issued by the Manco dated 8 June 2021. I now received a letter...
                                  05-05-2022, 12:56 PM
                                • Reply to Section 20 notice of planned works not disclosed by vendor
                                  by Lexa
                                  @sglacy - The works the notice has been served for are part of a cyclical decoration programme on the wider estate and there was no way to foresee any works being planned without being made aware of the notices or plans of works. It might have been evident to the vendor but not to me. The point is...
                                  18-05-2022, 13:20 PM
                                • Neighbour Dispute over Bins
                                  by Tony-Edwards
                                  Hello

I could do with some guidance if anyone has any knowledge on this.

I have a 100 year old flat that was split from a larger building in 2000 and has a 999 year lease, it is next door to a commercial premises.

The only way to get to my flat is across their...
                                  17-05-2022, 14:40 PM
                                • Reply to Neighbour Dispute over Bins
                                  by Tony-Edwards
                                  The Lease..........

(20.05.1997) By a Conveyance of the land in this title and other land dated 15 July 1977 made between (1) xxx (Vendor) and (2) xxxx (Purchaser) the land was conveyed subject as follows:-

Subject to all existing rights and privileges in the nature of easements...
                                  18-05-2022, 09:18 AM
                                • Reply to Neighbour Dispute over Bins
                                  by royw
                                  Can't you leave them on the road for collection?
                                  18-05-2022, 08:43 AM
                                • Reply to Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
                                  by JK0
                                  Do you have insurance for the contents? Maybe there is loss of rent cover included there.
                                  18-05-2022, 06:11 AM
                                Working...
                                X