Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.

The estate I live on has 2 blocks. All the leaseholders are members of the company which owns the freehold and manages the block ("Share of freehold").

Suppose one of the 2 blocks decides to go it alone - so in other words gain the freehold from a company they are already a member of and own a part of?

Does anyone have any real life experience of this happening? Please don't ask the question "why?", as there are some very good reasons that I don't feel it would be relevant to go into here.

What would happen to the common grounds in this case? Both blocks are roughly the same size (one is a bit bigger than the other), but there are shared garden and parking areas.

Well over a year later - BUMP!

Comment

I guess that no one had any experience of this (and I don't either)!

An important question will probably be: "Are each of the blocks under separate freeholds, or are both under the same freehold?"

Comment

It would be interesting if you would explain further. 50% of the members would need to agree to the new company, so only the larger block would be able to proceed and it would need to compensate the members of the smaller block, The common grounds are probably contained within the freehold title but you can confirm at the Land Registry. The lease will explain who is responsible for the management of the blocks and the allocation of charges.

Comment

A recent ruling gave that common grounds were still managed by freeholder in an RTM case.
          There are also more than 3 months in a year.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post
            50% of the members would need to agree to the new company, so only the larger block would be able to proceed and it would need to compensate the members of the smaller block.
            I'm pretty sure you are misinterpreting both the letter and the spirit of the legislation there. The rights are granted to people who live in certain buildings and qualify, and I don't see why it is different here? And I'm not sure where the notion of compensation comes from? Happy to be proved wrong, but I think you've got yourself confused here.

The common grounds are probably contained within the freehold title but you can confirm at the Land Registry.
            AFAIK the common grounds are contained within the freehold title. However... last time I remember looking at the Land Registry I could only find the 10 leases, not the freehold for the entire estate.

The lease will explain who is responsible for the management of the blocks and the allocation of charges.
            The lease was drawn up before the 10 leaseholders became members of a newly formed freeholding company, which was in the early 90s around 10 years after the original leases were granted. So the reasonable assumption is that at that point the freehold was bought, and the current company set up. All costs for the entire estate are split evenly, 10% for each of the 10 leaseholders.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
              A recent ruling gave that common grounds were still managed by freeholder in an RTM case.
              There are also more than 3 months in a year.
              Do you have a link to that ruling please?

Comment

Originally posted by Macromia View Post
                I guess that no one had any experience of this (and I don't either)!

An important question will probably be: "Are each of the blocks under separate freeholds, or are both under the same freehold?"
                They are both under the same freehold.

Comment

I think the case of Mark Cutter v Pry Ltd may address the questions you are raising

Comment

Originally posted by sgclacy View Post
                    I think the case of Mark Cutter v Pry Ltd may address the questions you are raising
                    Thanks - looking at that now, and there are indeed a lot of similar issues.

Comment

If all leaseholders are members of the same freehold company, you should consider getting on the board as director and changing the Managing Agent which administers the service charge account.

The Managing agent has to comply to the RICS Residential Management Code which you can find and view online..

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                        If all leaseholders are members of the same freehold company, you should consider getting on the board as director and changing the Managing Agent which administers the service charge account.

The Managing agent has to comply to the RICS Residential Management Code which you can find and view online..
                        I'm already a member and director of the freeholding company. I want to split the company so that we manage our own building on our own.

It doesn't make an awful lot of sense for me to be making decisions about a building I don't live in, and vice versa. I don't need to know what sort of carpet they want, nor do they need to know what light fittings I want. That sort of thing.

And I'd rather not pay for the maintenance of their roof, or their door entry system, or whatever it might happen to be.

From a selfish point of view, their building is significantly more expensive to maintain. Also, I'm happy to organise and do a load of stuff for my building, but I resent doing it for the other building just because none of them feel inclined to do so.

An amicable divorce is what I'm after. But there are some complications due to shared parts, such as a driveway and a car park.

Comment

I don't see why you are trying to complicate matters, the Company owns the freehold and the lease explains how you should allocate charges. You have a duty as a director to act in the interests of all members,

Comment

I don't see why you are trying to complicate matters, the Company owns the freehold and the lease explains how you should allocate charges. You have a duty as a director to act in the interests of all members,
                            Once more, you don't really seem to be following what is being asked here. That comment is totally irrelevant to what is being asked. The legislation was passed because it was deemed reasonable by Parliament for leaseholders to be responsible for the property they live in. The fact that I am already a director of the company doesn't trump that. You don't really seem to understand either the detail or the intent the legislation so - respectfully - I'd be happy if you refrained from commenting further as you really aren't adding any value to the conversation.

Comment

Surely all you need to do is declare independence and takeover the management of your block as a RTM company?

Who owns the freehold is irrelevant.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Section 20 costs
                                by lampshade
                                It occurs to me and others that there us no responsible person. How can work so important be neglected for over 2 years and all thagt has happened is that leaseholders have been made to pay £000s each, for work that has not been carried out....

I and other leaseholders, are pretty...
                                27-05-2022, 13:06 PM
                              • Section 20 costs
                                by lampshade
                                Having been issued with a section20 that requires a lot of expensive works to common area doors and the like, I am wondering what the situation is regarding an increase in quotations already given.
                                Materials prices are rising fast and we have no idea when the works will start so given that we...
                                18-11-2021, 06:32 AM
                              • Old managing agents accounts
                                by jazzythumper
                                Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
                                20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
                              • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
                                by jazzythumper
                                Since we have no reconciliation accounts, and the old managing agent didn’t pass on any account or funds to us, we have no way of knowing whether the debt was wiped with the sale of the freehold which I suspect it was. Sadly I don’t think it seems there is any way tl
                                find this info out?...
                                27-05-2022, 11:14 AM
                              • Freehold confusion
                                by davetg
                                30 years ago I bought a flat from a friend. The freehold at the time was registered to my friend and the lady who owned the other flat. I understood at the time that I would replace the friend on the freehold but this never happened. This was not a problem until now as when work on the structure of...
                                24-05-2022, 14:29 PM
                              • Reply to Freehold confusion
                                by AndrewDod
                                I'd partially disagree with ^.
                                Certainly it will have no value on the open market sold alone. But would have value as an addition to a flat sale, simply because the control that can be exerted carries value (the same does not apply to a typical; share of freehold situation where a minority owner...
                                27-05-2022, 09:29 AM
                              • 2-1 transfer - what does Freeholder do?
                                by Flashback1966
                                I am a Freeholder. Have a flat there too. I have received an email from the leaseholder's soclitors acting for Mr A. They are doing a 2-1 transfer from the names of Mr A and Ms B to just Mr.

The solicitors want to know the requirements on completion.

Is is just a notice of...
                                26-05-2022, 18:46 PM
                              • Reply to 2-1 transfer - what does Freeholder do?
                                by Lawcruncher
                                There are two distinct things.

One is whether the landlord's consent is required for the transfer. If it is (which would be unusual but not unknown for a long residential lease) then the landlord can impose reasonable conditions on granting the consent. If it is not, then the landlord has...
                                27-05-2022, 08:04 AM
                              • Reply to Freehold confusion
                                by CStevens
                                In response to your questions:

1. You will need the landlord to sign a TR1 as suggested above. If your friend has passed away then his Executors will have to sign;
                                2. In short no. The real value in these freeholds is normally the money that has to be paid in order to extend leases....
                                27-05-2022, 06:42 AM
                              • Reply to 2-1 transfer - what does Freeholder do?
                                by CStevens
                                check the tenant's lease but normally you should (a) ensure all rent and service charges are paid up to date; (b) check that there are no existing breaches of the lease. If there are then you should require the tenant to deal with these before agreeing to acknowledge the transfer.

With...
                                27-05-2022, 06:34 AM
                              Working...
                              X