How long do have to pay for the lease extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long do have to pay for the lease extension

I am thinking of buying a property with a very short lease - 7 years. It could be extended by 90 as it was originally a 50 year term. The present owner is serving notice on the landlord which would be assigned to me. As I understand it the date for the extension will be set at the point the current owner serves notice. My question is once the leasehold premium is established - I guess this would take a few months - how long do I get to pay the premium?

I believe it's one year after notice is served, isn't it?
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

You can string it out for a year if you are prepared to pay the professional costs on your side if so doing - the landlords costs will not increase by much if there is a delay

Comment

And from when the premium has been agreed. How long do I get?

Comment

Originally posted by splodge2001 View Post
          And from when the premium has been agreed. How long do I get?
          However long you agree with the freeholder.

The freeholder is entitled to 10% of whatever offer you make as soon as you have put in a formal request, and the extension will not normally be considered complete until you have paid the balance in full.

Comment

Originally posted by Macromia View Post

However long you agree with the freeholder.

The freeholder is entitled to 10% of whatever offer you make as soon as you have put in a formal request, and the extension will not normally be considered complete until you have paid the balance in full.
            According to LEASE you have 4 months to complete once premium agreed
            https://www.lease-advice.org/article...ng-your-lease/

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to AGM cancelled.
              by Grumio
              It is both a managing agent and a residence Association. But we want to go back to managing the block ourselves.

Thanks for the reply, yes invitations have been sent to all our members. And I agree, they should not cancel the AGM, especially when they haven’t got a plausible reason to...
              26-01-2022, 12:12 PM
            • AGM cancelled.
              by Grumio
              Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
              26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
            • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
              by sgclacy
              Doubling every 25 years is simply a guess as to what inflation may be, if inflation of the current levels ( about 6% ) was to continue the real value of the rent would fall by 77% and doubling would not address the enormous damage done by inflation. However, if inflation was less than 2.81% per annum...
              26-01-2022, 11:57 AM
              by Section20z
              You are clearly using the informal route and can thus negotiate whatever terms you like.
              freeholder will want to retain some ground rent but avoid the doubling clause, maybe suggest small fixed rises every ten years....
              26-01-2022, 10:40 AM
            • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
              by Section20z
              Quite, there is also the question here of who the actual freeholder is and whether the whole thing is any concern of the OP who only ever need pay 25% !!...
              26-01-2022, 10:25 AM
            • Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
              by Santa Fe
              Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
              24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
              by eagle2
              Yes, I am confused too. If there is a Residents Association, it is required to comply with its constitution.

There seems to be a Company involved as well. Whether or not it is required to hold an AGM depends on its Articles, AGMs can be cancelled for various reasons, lockdowns are an example,...
              26-01-2022, 10:19 AM
            • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
              by eagle2
              I think that we have found 3 possible alternatives already and no doubt we could find more, As Section20z says it is very rare for a court or a tribunal to intervene, The lease appears to allow the freeholder (?) to decide what is fair and reasonable and it has decided that an equal share is reasonable,...
              26-01-2022, 10:01 AM
              by fos333
              Is this a Residence Association or Residents Management Company?

Had invitations to the AGM been sent out to all members? If invitations had been issued then no the AGM should not have been cancelled.

If the 2 directors are "good friends of the managing agent" they...
              26-01-2022, 10:00 AM
              by Gordon999
              If you ask for a statutory 90 years lease extension , the annual ground rent is a peppercorn .
              26-01-2022, 09:54 AM
            Working...
            X