soakaways and gutters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

soakaways and gutters

For years we have had problems with the gutters which serve the roofs, overflowing at the top of the downpipe.

This goes back at least five years. First our local handyman looked at it and said it was because the downpipe was not fixed properly and so on, then another time he had his arm down the hole bringing up handfuls of sediment proclaiming it cleared. And it was for five minutes! The next time was when the managing agent came down and said that sorting out the soakaway would be very expensive. He pointed out to the grass area and said ‘it could be anywhere’ and that was that for a while. Last year we had estimates for a new soakaway. They all said more or less the same thing "Carried out initial investigation of underground Rain water Pipe work to find 100% root ingress exiting pipe work." This is not surprising as the soakaway is probably within 4 metres of tall forest trees and was installed in 1962.

The freeholder, not wanting to pay a share of the cost for his flat, recommended jet washing last summer. This was carried out. Overflowing gutters still a problem.

Last week the managing agent said he thought the gutters, on our two 3 storey, buildings should be cleared once a year. This would involve a cherry picker. In 2019 the gutters were cleared at a cost of £816. However, a year later a video was circulated of the gutter overflowing.

I raised objections. The managing agent has emailed us all saying "could you please confirm if you would like me to clear the roof gutters annually? This is usually undertaken after the leaves are off the trees in late autumn and reduces the chance of blockages that can lead to water ingress. The estimated cost will be £50 per flat."

He is blaming the water getting into one of the flats on the gutter overflowing. I think he should have told the flat owner to get the seals round his french doors checked.

Yesterday he emailed me, copying in the rest, saying "Thank you for your email. The item was discussed during my visit, and I simply put it to a vote. The majority will determine whether it will go ahead or not.
    This is to ensure the loudest voices do not get more votes as some lessees are happy for this to proceed.
    I am also happy to put the soakaways or any other repair to a vote besides items such as compliance that need to be done".

What should I do?

It should not be down to a majority vote of the tenants, but the landlord complying with his obligations. Each tenant has a right to enforce the terms of his lease.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to AGM cancelled.
      by Andrea Cunningham
      Call an EGM. Make sure you give proper notice and that it is legal (download a boilerplate notice off the internet). In that EGM you can vote new directors in, or even vote the old directors out.
      26-01-2022, 07:14 AM
    • AGM cancelled.
      by Grumio
      Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
      26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
    • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
      by SouthernDave
      Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
      i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
      25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
    • Reply to What can I do about my right of way.
      by Trevor62

This is the ROW as it is in the land registry.

Can I ask another question?

As you can read it says Boundary determined by edge of pavings. Before the other party moved out they built a fence along the boundary though they build it on my side of the...
      25-01-2022, 20:58 PM
    • What can I do about my right of way.
      by Trevor62
      I live in the upper flat of a maisonette, I have a right of way that goes around the back of the building from the side entrance, there are only two flats in the building.

Anyway for years there has been a gate with a lock to go through the right of way, now for the past year the flat has...
      23-01-2022, 23:01 PM
    • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
      by Andrea Cunningham
      As I said right at the beginning, there are some very sound reasons to do this which I wasn't going to go into. Suffice it to say that the current situation is one where the building I live in suffers under the tyranny of the majority of the larger building. So what is being sought is genuine control...
      25-01-2022, 20:24 PM
    • Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
      by Andrea Cunningham
      The estate I live on has 2 blocks. All the leaseholders are members of the company which owns the freehold and manages the block ("Share of freehold").

Suppose one of the 2 blocks decides to go it alone - so in other words gain the freehold from a company they are already a member...
      04-10-2021, 12:07 PM
      by Andrea Cunningham
      There is already no ground rent collected - so as I understand it the value of the freehold might be quite low anyway.

If this is all done by negotiation then it is a moot point regardless, and it brings me back to what I was actually asking about, which is how to fairly and equitably split...
      25-01-2022, 20:10 PM
      by Macromia
      That potentially raises an interesting question about what happens to any money that needs to be paid for the enfranchisement.
      At the moment payment is handed over, all those in the block being enfranchised would presumably cease to be members of the company - so wouldn't be entitled to any share...
      25-01-2022, 19:40 PM
      by Macromia
      That may not be your intention, but it definitely seems like you haven't given proper consideration to what enfranchisement would involve.

What do the leases specifically say about what is included within service charge/maintenance costs and how service charge costs are to be split?...
      25-01-2022, 19:25 PM
    Working...
    X