Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building Contractor/Managing Agent

Morning all,
    I am having big issues with my leasehold flat managing agents, tenants and building contractors.
    The flat is situated in a large building which has several blocks and floors. Scaffolding has been up for a couple of months (being moved around the building) to do major work on the brickwork and roof.
    The buildings managing agent offered us the opportunity to get our windows replaced at a reduced price due to the scaffolding already being up. Managing agent asked leaseholders to say if they were interested in window replacement in February 2021. I immediately that said I was definitely keen to have mine replaced. It then took 8 chaser emails to the managing agent and several phone calls to get my windows measured so I could get an invoice- this was in August 2021. In the meantime I have told my tenants that I am getting the windows replaced and they will have a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to the works date (the work will take a whole day).
    The managing agents missed telling the site foreman that my windows are being replaced so whilst the tenants are at work the building contractors strip and paint the original windows. Tenants return home to huge amount of mess inside their windows and broken belongings which have fallen from the windowsill. Tenants are very upset with workmen and send the site foreman a few messages to say so. These messages then get talked about amongst all the contractors and so now the window contractors are refusing to enter my flat and replace the windows, they say my tenants are abusive (due to the messages) and they will not enter the flat. I have seen the messages and they are not at all abusive. I have paid 50% of the total cost to get them replaced, balance is due on completion. I am really upset as I have know for four years that I was going to have this one opportunity to get them replaced. Managing agent has said I should get them done when tenants move out but tenants have no plan to move out and really I do not want them to- they always pay their rent on time. Managing agents says they will hold the cost of getting my windows replaced but I do believe this is possible as the window contractor told me they would need a portable tower (flat is 4th floor) plus tenants may not move out for a couple of years.
    I do not know what to do. The owner of the window company say he will not have the workmen in the flat whilst the tenants live there (even though tenants will be out at the time of work). There would have been no issue if the managing agent had told the site foreman my windows were being replaced, then these two episodes of mess being caused to the flat would not have occurred.

Sorry this is so long, I have had a very sleepless night due to thinking it through a lot (and having a small baby).
    Thanks very much.

Is this the only window replacement company you are allowed to use?

Comment

Originally posted by annam222 View Post
      The owner of the window company say he will not have the workmen in the flat whilst the tenants live there (even though tenants will be out at the time of work).
      What a load of old tosh..... when i recently had every single one of my windows replaced in the house, myself and my family were in the whole time..... what reason did he give for this '' fear '' of human beings...... let me guess..... Covid

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X