Renewing the lease and sublet charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renewing the lease and sublet charges

I've just about finished the tortuous process of renewing the lease at a flat we own bringing it up to 170 years and no ground rent (yay).

It is rent out and I do keep getting sublet registration demands from an infamous mgm company on here.

I've read back through the forums and see their name cropping up for their abnormally high charges £130 in some cases... £95 for online.

This is a copy of my lease. Can anyone spot a loophole for this insidious and spurious money grab?

Appreciated in advance and apologies for the poor copy.

This clause requires registration of "assignment of underlease" with landlord's solicitor and E&M are not solicitors.

You should report E&M to your local MP and ask the MP to report this to CMA and Minister of Levelling UP.

Comment

Many thanks for that.

As my new renewal lease is being completed, I sent it on to the Solicitor handling the case. He said that E&M have an in-house legal department and that is enough to satisfy the terms of the lease unfortunately.

If anyone has any other thoughts thought I'd be grateful.

Comment

I have some faint recollection that a complaint of " in-house legal team" was raised before a LVT or FTT Tribunal and Chairman decided "in-house team" did not qualify as "solicitor", who are required to conduct CDD ( Client Due Diligence ) before taking on client.. But I do not know how to find details of this case.

Comment

Ooh interesting, thanks Gordon.

I'll do some research to see if I can dig it up.
          If anyone else knows more about this though in the interim, please shout.

Many thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X