Condensation or leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Condensation or leak?

As block freeholders we are in dispute with a leaseholder about a damp ceiling. The block has a solid concrete celing with bituminous rolls on top but no insulation. I believe it is getting condensation as the family do laundry dry clothes and do not have extractor fans in kitchen or bathroom.
    but how to prove that the roof is sound when the ceilings are wet? Any advice?

Might it be worth trying a company like Prime Disaster Response who test samples of the water and ceiling material? I believe that they can generally get a decent idea from minerals present as to whether the water is rainwater, or has passed through something (e.g. the concrete roof) before arriving at the ceiling. Companies like that act for insurance agents in establishing cause of damage / water ingress.

Does their lease not require extraction or ventilation?
    Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Originally the flats were 1930s built and heated by coal fires with chimneys. So they are wellbuilt but have lost ventilation over the years. In my view the top floor flats need ceiling insullation and a lot of ventilation.

Comment

Sounds reasonable. I wasn't speculating on the cause. Just how you might prove the source of the damp to a leaseholder in a dispute. Having a better steer on the source will make it easier to agree on a remedy - and, of course, who is responsible for paying for it.
        Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Thanks hooper may do that. The best outcome would be a gov insulation grant, they did the cavity walls but no help on the roof so far. Maybe the protestor will take jobs insulating britain instead of blocking roads.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X