Freeholders & Cosmetic Reapairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholders & Cosmetic Reapairs

We are 4 freeholders and I have no problem paying for any repairs that are needed to the house. However, the other freeholders are pushing for a lot of cosmetic repairs to make the property look nicer, and I have agreed to pay for some but it's getting excessive and I simply can't afford to be spending more at the moment. From my understanding, the other freeholder can's force one freeholder to be paying for these types of repairs? I could refuse to pay? Again any urgent or needed repairs I have no problem paying for but this is pure cosmetics repairs.

Thank you.

What does the lease say? What kind of stuff? Internal painting may be "cosmetic" but if lease says do it, then it is done.

Your ability to afford what is required is irrelevant. If it needs doing, you either take a loan or sell up.

Comment

Exactly why dad's army freeholders and RMCs don't work . Generally a 'repair' by it's very nature is something required under the lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
        Exactly why dad's army freeholders and RMCs don't work . Generally a 'repair' by it's very nature is something required under the lease.
        Yes but there is a grey area in terms of how exactly this is taken forward. If common parts tend to get scuffled/dented walls with time, it would be extraordinarily expensive if a workman were called out on every one of the 100 occasions per year there was a scuff/dent.

Information/example free questions (like one OP proffers here) are really not helpful.

But I agree that RMCs can often be much much worse than an external freeholder, especially when crooks are involved.

Comment

There is a difference between 'maintenance and repair' and 'improvement'.

Usually the lease requires 'maintenance and repair' in order to keep the building in good condition and the lease requires the leaseholders to pay for them.
          'Improvement' is not maintenance and repair and as such can only be done by agreement of all leaseholders.

An example would be the repair or replacement, ie, like for like, of wooden window frames whereas new replacement window frames in PVCu or other material is an improvement. Same for single to double glazing which is improvement. Both these improvements are usually outside of the lease requirements.

Comment

Our lease actually states ' to keep in good and substantial repair and decorative order' and that painting of common areas will be done every 5 years . It also stipulates this for the flats themselves .

Comment

In the case of windows upvc double glazing ischeaper than like for like wood or crittal metal. On un heated stairs we did double glazing as it was cheaper.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
                by eagle2
                It makes you wonder why any freeholder should comply with s20 at all. As you say, it can wait to see if any leaseholder challenges the costs. It does not even need to explain why it did not comply with s20, the only consideration appears to be whether or not the leaseholders suffered any financial prejudice,...
                23-10-2021, 06:34 AM
              • Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
                by SSLA91
                Hi all,

Long time lurker of this forum and recent new member. Have always found the forum incredibly helpful so thank you! Have now got an issue with our freeholder that I could use some specific advice on (have tried searching for similar posts but to no avail).

We have recently...
                20-10-2021, 20:28 PM
              • Section 20 notice
                by Starlane
                Hello I would welcome input on the following:
                Two roofs feed into a valley, the valley is in need of repair, this is a shared responsibility and therefore a shared cost. so how do we issue a section 20 notice when really we need the consent and agreement from two different buildings/landlords...
                22-10-2021, 19:09 PM
              • Reply to Section 20 notice
                by Starlane
                Hi Macromia thank you as always for your helpful and sensible input.. one building is saying one thing and another building the other, the usual chinese whispers so I took the bull by the horns and spoke to everyone and I am almost there apart from a Director who wants to do their own thing ( not being...
                22-10-2021, 20:57 PM
              • Share of freehold questions - confused
                by sixunforced
                Not sure if this is the right place for this query but anyway, I'm a first time buyer and have been searching for a property for like two years now (not continuously but on and off and obv covid halted my search for a while). I found a really nice 2 bedroom flat for under £320,000 in a block of around...
                18-11-2020, 21:19 PM
              • Reply to Share of freehold questions - confused
                by Starlane
                Agree thank you...
                22-10-2021, 20:52 PM
              • Reply to Section 20 notice
                by Macromia
                Assuming that the two freeholders have agreed that they will work together and share the costs, they jointly agree what needs to be communicated to the leaseholders and then each freeholder writes to the leaseholders in their building.
                22-10-2021, 20:16 PM
              • Freeholder threatening to cut water off
                by Disraeli-LLH
                I was hoping you would be able to help. We own a ground floor flat LLH(970 yrs remaining). The freeholder owns the house and lets the flat upstairs on an AST.

The freeholder currently undertaking works including replumbing. We have been on a shared water supply and we connect through their...
                20-10-2021, 15:35 PM
              • Reply to Freeholder threatening to cut water off
                by Macromia
                This is possibly by far the most important consideration, in my opinion.
                If the OP's lease doesn't allow 'improvements' to be charged to service charges, the freeholder cannot require them to contribute anything towards the costs, and would therefore be something that they would have had no choice...
                22-10-2021, 20:08 PM
              • Reply to Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
                by Macromia
                Possibly...

Although when my freeholder applied for dispensation a while back (arguing that the proposed work had to be carried out as a matter of urgency) they were granted dispensation with the First Tier Tribunal commenting that the 2013 Supreme Court Case of Daejan versus Benson meant...
                22-10-2021, 19:51 PM
              Working...
              X