Directors roles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Directors roles

I just want to double check this before I go ahead with further action as I'm beginning to doubt myself on my version of Directors roles when dealing with a management company.

The "my address" Ltd Company is the owner and landlord of the building.

Each flat has one share and these are the shareholders.

The Directors are voted in by the shareholders to act on their behalf.

The Management Company acts on the wishes of the Directors.

This is a new management company who seem to be bypassing the directors and dealing with two residents, one being a renter. We asked at the meeting if an existing water butt could be replaced and an extra one ordered for our end of the block as we didn't have one. They have been today whilst I wasn't here and fitted both butts to the other end.

Can the Directors of Houghton Court ask them to move one even though they say they won't? They keep pressing that things have to be discussed at an AGM but things come up like this and my impression was that they were there to act on the wishes of the elected Directors. I just want some advice on how to proceed so I don't make a fool of myself.

Hi,

The first place to look would be the management agreement between the managing agent and you (the directors).

The managing agent shoud be acting on the instructions of the directors, who should be following the lease.

Have a read through the following;

https://arma.org.uk/downloader/f1s/2...d_RMCs_V01.pdf

https://www.hmlgroup.com/wp-content/...ance.pdf-1.pdf

Comment

As far as I am aware there isn't one. The new company took over from the old one without consulting us.

Comment

By "management company" do you actually mean 'managing agents?

The management company will be the company in which leaseholders own shares. The directors of this company decide what work needs to be carried out, based on the obligations detailed in the leases, but they may choose to give some of the 'normal' day to day responsibilities to a managing agent.
        Some decisions may require input from shareholders (depending on what the articles of the company say), but it would be unnecessarily restrictive if the directors had to arrange shareholder meetings for most matters.

If either the directors or the managing agents have made a mistake, the directors need to get this corrected - and no shareholder meeting should be required to allow this.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Right to Manage Costs
          by Pariah81
          Hi,

I am part of a residents association that is exploring right to manage (RTM).

We are a 30 flat block in the Ealing area.

We want to get advice on the process so how much should we be expecting to pay for our legals?

I'm also aware we have to pay...
          21-09-2021, 13:48 PM
        • Reply to Right to Manage Costs
          by lampshade
          Interesting....I have one lease in a total of 3 blocks totalling 34 flats. All managed under one managing agent appointed by the FH.
          But each block, whilst seemingly are all connected there are 3 separate blocks of about 11 flats in each. Each block has both front and back entrance, and unique...
          23-09-2021, 15:29 PM
        • Reply to Reasonable solicitor fees?
          by eagle2
          You can insist on a summarised time record showing the number of hours spent by each grade of solicitor on the different aspects of the work involved. You can then compare it with your own solicitor's time records in order to raise a specific complaint.

Intead though, I suggest that you...
          23-09-2021, 14:42 PM
        • Reasonable solicitor fees?
          by LizLease
          After six long and tedious months of negotiations to extend the lase on a flat, we are nearing completion and I have been sent the final balance.

I was shocked to be presented with a £2,700 bill for the freeholder's solicitor fees. When I first inquired about renewing the lease, the freeholder...
          21-09-2021, 17:17 PM
        • Negotiating a lease extension
          by LizLease
          Hi all, I am new to the forum.
          I am looking to extend the lease on a flat (currently under 70 years).
          I received a quote from the freeholder and a valuation from a surveyor (£3k lower than the freeholder's figure).
          I spoke to the leasehold Advisory Service who said to ask the surveyor...
          21-01-2021, 12:44 PM
        • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
          by sgclacy
          Does that include the surveyor fee ?...
          23-09-2021, 14:36 PM
        • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
          by LizLease
          Thank you both

sgclacy, if you are talking about the "deed of surrender and regrant of lease", that is a 10 page document and as far as I am ware, there are no specific issues or complications with it. It's a flat in a 30 year-old small block of flats and there are no odd clauses...
          23-09-2021, 12:17 PM
        • Reply to Reasonable solicitor fees?
          by LizLease
          Thanks for the replies.
          It has taken 6 months because the surveyor - who was dealing with the negotiations - was useless and not proactive / reactive. Add to that the fact that we had reached a deal I said OK to, then the freeholder and their solicitor turned around and said actually no, they...
          23-09-2021, 12:09 PM
        • Renewing the lease and sublet charges
          by mpppen
          I've just about finished the tortuous process of renewing the lease at a flat we own bringing it up to 170 years and no ground rent (yay).

It is rent out and I do keep getting sublet registration demands from an infamous mgm company on here.

I've read back through the forums...
          21-09-2021, 18:47 PM
        • Reply to Renewing the lease and sublet charges
          by mpppen
          Ooh interesting, thanks Gordon.

I'll do some research to see if I can dig it up.
          If anyone else knows more about this though in the interim, please shout.

Many thanks...
          23-09-2021, 10:21 AM
        Working...
        X