Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal options to renew leasehold ?

Hi all,

Not sure this is the correct subforum but I will give it a shot.

Assuming that there is a leasehold with a term of 20 years, what are the legal options of the tenant to renew the leasehold upon expiry?

Are there any loopholes in the legislation?

Many thanks

Possibly in the future, but looking at grenfel and other things - I would not be waiting

Comment

what are the legal options of the tenant to renew ?

None.

It stands, as it being a leasehold flat, that once the lease ends, the leaseholder packs up, empties the flat and leaves, and of course gets no money for the flat because it was leased, not bought.
      You buy the lease that says you can occupy that flat untill the lease runs out.
      No lease, then no right to stay there.

You will of course be called a "Bastard" when you try and state facts, that the lease has ended, but they have not moved out yet.
      But I paid £ x thousands for this - they say.
      But you say - no, you bought the these that allows you to stay here,
      Lease ended, - be out by next week.

Lease a car for 12 months, but keep it after 12 months and they will come and get it.

Not going into statutory right to extend the lease for next to nothing, that's for the leaseholder to apply for.

Comment

So long as the lease was originally for a term of 21 years or more, the tenant can extend their lease well before the expiry of the lease. Lease extensions can be obtained either via the statutory route or negotiated informally with the freeholder.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
          what are the legal options of the tenant to renew ?[/I]

None.
          I think that this is accurate.

There are legal options to renew BEFORE a lease expires (if we are talking about a residential lease than isn't one of the exclusions), but if the lease has already expired those options have been lost.

The legal options have to be initiated before the lease expires - and currently the cost to extend the lease is cheaper if the lease is extended well in advance of the date at which the lease expires (preferably at least 80 years before the existing lease term ends).

Comment

Thanks for the responses. The lease (21 term lease) still has a bit than 5 years left.

What are the options?

Or is ram statement accurate and there are no options at all?

Comment

Have a look at www.lease-advice.org which is government sponsored.

Comment

Originally posted by value__investor View Post

Thanks for the responses. The lease (21 term lease) still has a bit than 5 years left.

What are the options?
                Look up 'Statutory lease extensions', or follow the link given by tipper.
                Your options may be affected by details that you have not provided (e.g. I believe that certain types of properties are excluded from the right to a statutory lease extension).

Comment

You said,, "what are the legal options of the tenant to renew the leasehold upon expiry?"

I read it as, Do the tenants HAVE to renew the lease by law. The answer is of course no, as you cannot force someone to renew a contract.
                  But i may have misinterpreted you question.

If you meant to say, i want to help my tenants renew the lease, how do I do that, as you think they will, or have asked to renew the lease.
                  Plenty of answers on the web -

1) Leasehold property: Extending, changing or ending a lease - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

2) + Other links supplied by the members,

Comment

Was the original term for a period greater than 21 years or was it a few days less than 21 - if the later you have no rights to extend under the 1993 Act

Comment

I believe you get to stay on as an assured tenant at the end of the lease, don't you?
                      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

are you talking about residential accommodation on a long lease? Or a commercial lease under which there are indeed rights under part II of the 1954 landlord and tenant act. If residential and the original term was less than 21 years you have no right to renew, however your landlord may play ball.......

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfreehold View Post
                          are you talking about residential accommodation on a long lease? Or a commercial lease under which there are indeed rights under part II of the 1954 landlord and tenant act. If residential and the original term was less than 21 years you have no right to renew, however your landlord may play ball.......
                          It concerns a residential leasehold flat.

Comment

value__investor, pls clarify the following:

is this a flat u r considering buying and u have been told that only 20 yrs are left in the lease OR

u already own the flat, and u r enquiring how to go about extending the lease?

Comment

There is a free guide to statutory lease extension which can be downloaded at :

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-...tting-started/

Please study the exceptions to lease extension. :

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X