Service charge debtor still collecting rent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Codger View Post
    Any comments?
    I would have thought forfeiture might be the outcome to propose / aim for, if LH's are not paying ground rent or service charges(?)

Alternatively, in order to simply force payment in cases where flats are mortgaged, a letter to the lender is a common tactic.
    There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Originally posted by doobrey View Post

I would have thought forfeiture might be the outcome to propose / aim for, if LH's are not paying ground rent or service charges(?)

Alternatively, in order to simply force payment in cases where flats are mortgaged, a letter to the lender is a common tactic.
      As eagle2 suggests, the first step should be to find out if there are reasons why a leaseholder isn't paying - and then to correct the problem if it is the fault of the freeholder or managing agent.
      Freeholders (or their managing agents) should start by checking that the demands have been sent in accordance with both legal requirements and the terms of the lease, it is ridiculous how often they seem to fail to send correct demands, and leaseholders are under no obligation to point out that demands are not payable for these reasons.

Comment

In our block we have flat owners who let them out ,collect rent but do not pat gr or service charge.
        i am considering asking the tenant to pay the freeholder to pay off the debt and embarrass the flat owner. Any comments?
        The managing agent (MA) can use the small claims court to collect service charge arrears from leaseholders. The MA's responsibility to collect service charge money is covered in section 7 of RICs Residential Management Code:

https://www.rics.org/globalassets/ri...ition-rics.pdf

Comment

My firm manages quite a few blocks and there are literally dozens of leaseholders who ignore all requests for payment. Indeed many of them let the flats, but don't even give us their new address for service or an email address and the land registry will typically just have the demised address on file. Hence the routine is not to seek to forfeit but once the arrears get to over about £1000 is to get a simple money claim on line judgement and then apply for a charging order against the lessee's title. Once the money judgement has been granted interest clocks up at the County Court Rate which is currently 8%. To get an interim charging order the secured lender (if any) must be informed, and in a proportion of cases the lender either pays or directs the borrower to pay. I am always astonished when leaseholders pop up asking for a clear rent account statement so that they can remortgage and say something like I had no idea that there were service charges payable and seem to have forgotten that there is a ground rent of £100 pa or some such sum. Once the charging order is in place, the flat can't in practice be sold without the lessee coughing up. Typically a solicitor will give his undertaking to pay out of the proceeds of sale. If as a landlord or management company, it is affordable to carry the debt, the key is to secure it so that the statute of limitations does not apply.

Comment

Originally posted by vmart View Post
            There is no legal basis for the tenant to pay the freeholder his/her landlord's service charges. If the tenant did, they would not be able to deduct the sum from rent or recover the monies from their landlord. I cannot think why you would imagine otherwise.

It is up to the freeholder to take action against the non-paying lessees to recover service charges.

Actually you are incorrect. There is a procedure whereby a sub-tenant can be ordered to pay his landlords' arrears to the freeholder. I cant remember the name of the Act but it is possible

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfreehold View Post

Actually you are incorrect. There is a procedure whereby a sub-tenant can be ordered to pay his landlords' arrears to the freeholder. I cant remember the name of the Act but it is possible
              Hi,

I'd be very interested to hear what this procedure is given that our development had substantial arrears from BTL landlords, who continued to receive rent, however failed to pay their service charge or the deficit from the previous year.

As they have no contract with the legal entity entitled to demand and receive service charges I am very surprised to hear that they can be ordered to pay their landlords arrears!

Comment

Hi Flyingfreehold, that's interesting. Pity you cannot remember the name of the Act. If you do, please let us know. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfreehold View Post

No.
                  What vmart said was correct.

Before there is any possibility of a tenant being ordered to pay rent directly to a freeholder in order to pay off a leaseholder's debt, the freeholder needs to take action against the leaseholder.

It may well be that, if they win a determination that a debt is owed, they can get a court order requiring the tenant to pay what they owe the leaseholder to the freeholder, but they cannot require the tenant to pay them direct without taking action against the leaseholder.

Comment

The objective appears to be to shame the leaseholder into paying a service charge debt but it could backfire because as freeholder, you would be in breach of GDPR by disclosing personal information to the tenant and a Tribunal could find that the personal information is incorrect,

There are two separate contracts and the tenant has no contractual obligation to pay you anything.

Comment

I will ask the subtenant for updated contact details as the leaseholder is not replying. He was keen to ring me previously about condensation! I thought chasing debts was allowed under Gdpr..

Comment

Advising a 3rd party of an amount which you consider to be due to you is not permitted. If a Tribunal finds that the amount is not payable or a reduced sum is payable, you could face a hefty fine.

Why are you unwilling to take action against the leaseholder if you are confident that the amount is payable and there is no valid reason for non payment? It is not difficult to trace a leaseholder without contacting the tenant.

Comment

Quite often you don't know where the leaseholder is, when they have sublet for years. Is the s/c owed due as rent?

Comment

I think it is due as rent . I amnot sure what that means.

Comment

I think it is due as rent . I amnot sure what that means.
                              If you mean that the lease states that service charges are "reserved as rent", that doesn't make a lot of difference but might affect the length of time that you have available to take the defaulters to court if it comes to that (and there may be other legal considerations).

Comment

The rental tenant should give you the contact address of leaseholder or you can post the service charge demand to the letting agent which collects the rent money.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Managing Agent/ Freeholder making unreasonable charges to allow extension to property
                                  by Hall22
                                  I actually live in a 3 bedroom house, and don't pay a service charge. I pay £8 annually for ground rent and cannot understand why an increase in the size of the property would mean that we have to have a amendment made to the Deed of Variation. Thanks I just needed for somebody to get back to confirm...
                                  21-10-2021, 17:27 PM
                                • Managing Agent/ Freeholder making unreasonable charges to allow extension to property
                                  by Hall22
                                  Hi all. This is my first time on this forum and hope somebody can assist me with an issue I have recently encountered.

My partner and I are at the early stages of planning for an extension to our leasehold property. We have recently been in contact with the managing agent for the freeholder...
                                  18-10-2021, 15:01 PM
                                • Reply to Property Management fees
                                  by Macromia
                                  The short answer is no.

It sounds like you may still be confused about the role of the type of block management company that is being proposed.
                                  They will not be managing your flat for you - who rents your flat, and arranging any work that needs to be carried out on your flat, will...
                                  21-10-2021, 17:21 PM
                                • Property Management fees
                                  by Santa Fe
                                  Hello. I'm an overseas landlord and own one of four flats in a building, which I rent out; until recently one of the other owner occupiers looked after the management of the building, however he has now sold up and moved out. The new owner does not want to take on the responsibility of managing the...
                                  19-10-2021, 14:08 PM
                                • Freeholder demanding extortionate fees for notice of remortgage
                                  by EssexLL
                                  Hi,

I know similar issues have been posted before but thought it best to start a new thread with all specifics as every case/lease is different. Forgive the long post; I thought it best to include as much relevant info as possible.

I recently remortgaged my leasehold flat with...
                                  16-10-2021, 00:56 AM
                                • Reply to Freeholder demanding extortionate fees for notice of remortgage
                                  by sgclacy
                                  An RTM can only collect ground rent if they reach an agreement with the freeholder. I do have an agent who acts for an RTM, and they collect my rent for me for 10% of the rent

The freeholder can hardly then a few years later trot off to the FTT to challenge the fee !

In any...
                                  21-10-2021, 17:16 PM
                                • Reply to Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
                                  by Macromia
                                  Section 20 legislation is, unfortunately, pretty much worthless now following legal precedent.

Firstly, any freeholder that fails to carry out consultation can ask for dispensation at the time that they are called to a court/tribunal over a dispute to the charges and, secondly, even if...
                                  21-10-2021, 17:02 PM
                                • Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
                                  by SSLA91
                                  Hi all,

Long time lurker of this forum and recent new member. Have always found the forum incredibly helpful so thank you! Have now got an issue with our freeholder that I could use some specific advice on (have tried searching for similar posts but to no avail).

We have recently...
                                  20-10-2021, 20:28 PM
                                • Freeholder threatening to cut water off
                                  by Disraeli-LLH
                                  I was hoping you would be able to help. We own a ground floor flat LLH(970 yrs remaining). The freeholder owns the house and lets the flat upstairs on an AST.

The freeholder currently undertaking works including replumbing. We have been on a shared water supply and we connect through their...
                                  20-10-2021, 15:35 PM
                                • Reply to Freeholder threatening to cut water off
                                  by Macromia
                                  I agree.

The snippets of the lease that have been posted give very little information, but they do confirm that the leaseholder has a right to have a supply of water (as well as other services), and that the "lessor" (i.e. the landlord/freeholder) would be in breach of the lease...
                                  21-10-2021, 16:51 PM
                                Working...
                                X