Members right to see company minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Members right to see company minutes

Hi. I am a Leaseholder of a flat. and also a member and 20% shareholder of the Freehold company. Our Lease docs stupulate that any sale of the lease must first be offered to the company (previously this has meant that the other any of the existing leaseholders have a right to buy it before it goes to market) However in our case I appear to have been prevented from seeing the company minutes and any such offer if it has been given. The reason being that the other shareholders are trying to force me to sell so they can buy the property and sell the freehold outright. Do I have any rights to see the offer, or see what the minutes are saying?

Contact the company secretary and demand to see a copy of the minutes for the previous meetings that are missing.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Are you actually in the process of selling the lease? (or trying to).

It's not clear from your post.

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
        Are you actually in the process of selling the lease? (or trying to).

It's not clear from your post.
        No, sorry I meant another of the flats may be up for sale, but I have not been informed or given a right of first refusal. The Lease states that each holder must first offer to the company of which I am a shareholder. But i'm not sure if this means that it should therefore be offered to the incumbant Leaseholders? Either way The Company itself is owned by the flat owners in shares.

Comment

The individual leaseholder are not the company? If the clause merely grant rights to "the company", then that only give first refusal to the company, not its members.
          I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

I'm with KTC, from what you have said then the 'company' as an entity has right of first refusal, not any individual.

If there is a question of whether the company should excercise that right or not then it should be resolved by the process set out (probably a vote?)

However that doesn't affect the issue that as a shareholder in the company you have a right to see the minutes.
            https://www.qualitycompanyformations...-company-have/
            All company shareholders have the right to:
            • Inspect company information, including the register of members (s. 116 Companies Act 2006) and a record of resolutions and minutes (s. 358) without any charge.

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
              I'm with KTC, from what you have said then the 'company' as an entity has right of first refusal, not any individual.

If there is a question of whether the company should excercise that right or not then it should be resolved by the process set out (probably a vote?)

However that doesn't affect the issue that as a shareholder in the company you have a right to see the minutes.
              https://www.qualitycompanyformations...-company-have/[/LIST]
              I can see the logic in why here 'company' means 'The Company'. However in reality this company has no assets, no capital, no bank account, is dormant and is not going to buy anything and never did. So the right of first refusal is ether irrelevant or must surely defer to the existing shareholders. Otherwise for example it would be in reality that first refusal goes only to the those shareholders that The Company selects to refer the offer to. It all sounds a bit Boris to me.

Comment

You are entitled to inspect the minutes of the meetings of members but you are not entitled to inspect the minutes of the meetings of the directors, The option appears to be there for the company to have first refusal, whether or not it exercises that option is another matter. I do not follow your logic, you cannot be forced to sell your property, Also, why would leaseholders wish to sell the freehold interest when it may find its way into the wrong hands?

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post
                  You are entitled to inspect the minutes of the meetings of members but you are not entitled to inspect the minutes of the meetings of the directors, The option appears to be there for the company to have first refusal, whether or not it exercises that option is another matter. I do not follow your logic, you cannot be forced to sell your property, Also, why would leaseholders wish to sell the freehold interest when it may find its way into the wrong hands?
                  This is a 'property managing company' for the purpose of one house only, consisting of five flats. Every meeting is with the Directors only as each owner is also a Director. So does that mean I am not entitled to see minutes or not?

Comment

If you are a director, you have not said so previously, you are entitled to inpect the minutes of the directors' minutes but then you should be invited to attend those meetings.

Comment

From my understanding.... Keeping minutes of general meetings To comply with Section 355 of the Companies Act 2006, limited companies must keep minutes of all general meetings and copies of all ordinary resolutions or special resolutions of members passed at a general meeting, even if the company has only one member. Go along to the registered office and ask as a member to see them

Comment

1 A member has a right under s358 CA 2006 to inspect the minutes of meetings of members.
                        2 Directors are required to keep minutes of meetings of directors under s248.CA 2006 but there is no requirement to make the minutes available for inspection by members.

Any right of first refusal would need to be given to the Company and it would be considered by the directors, who would have the right to decide whether or not to notify the members.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlane View Post
                          From my understanding.... Keeping minutes of general meetings To comply with Section 355 of the Companies Act 2006, limited companies must keep minutes of all general meetings and copies of all ordinary resolutions or special resolutions of members passed at a general meeting, even if the company has only one member. Go along to the registered office and ask as a member to see them
                          I am not a director, but I am a member and a shareholder (its complicated). So am I entitled to see minutes?

Comment

Thank you for clarifying that you are not a director, In that case, you can inspect minutes of meetings of members, you cannot inspect minutes of meetings of directors.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Legal Action Against Landlord - Local Council
                              by Isaac1400
                              Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have heard of this. In summary do you know if this would benefit those with older leases and not on the builds which have has issues with rising ground rent etc?...
                              04-12-2021, 19:09 PM
                            • Legal Action Against Landlord - Local Council
                              by Isaac1400
                              Hi,

Hoping someone can advise. I am leaseholder and the landlord is a local council. my property is a flat and there are about 55 flats spread out over 3 floors.

Now the problem is that over the years the council has failed to maintain the exterior and communal areas - including...
                              02-12-2021, 07:13 AM
                            • How much can the freeholder charge for registering details of a sublet?
                              by Joubert
                              I am a director of a Freehold Company of a small block of 28 flats in a popular residential area.

Over the past few years the majority of flats have been purchased by investors who sublet the flats on ASTs.

Although the leases between the Freehold Company and the lessees are...
                              04-12-2021, 17:35 PM
                            • Reply to Dilapidated Flat
                              by Macromia
                              If a leaseholder can show that internal maintenance is required because of a freeholder's negligence (e.g. a failure to meet external maintenance obligations according to the terms of the lease), they will potentially have a claim against the freeholder and be entitled to expect the freeholder (the...
                              04-12-2021, 16:59 PM
                            • Dilapidated Flat
                              by scot22
                              In a block of 24, unfortunately one flat has become dilapidated. The new owner has bought cheaply. She is now demanding the Freeholder pays to refurbish it claiming they have been negligent. Is there a reasonable case ?
                              04-12-2021, 11:21 AM
                              by theartfullodger
                              The previous owner might have had a case. The new owner I think only for claims for problems during their ownership. But ianal.

Presumably she got a great price as it was so dilapidated
                              04-12-2021, 16:51 PM
                              by Neelix
                              What utter nonsense.

The new buyer should have had a survey before they purchased.
                              04-12-2021, 16:15 PM
                              by scot22
                              Many thanks for the prompt and helpful replies. Mainly, I suspect, due to lack of ventilation and heating there is some damp. She says the Freeholder should have stopped this happening by work to outside wall !? Efforts, including engaging surveyors whose advice has been followed, have been made...
                              04-12-2021, 15:51 PM
                              by doobrey
                              In what way?...
                              04-12-2021, 15:21 PM
                              by Gordon999
                              Usually inside the flat, the re-decoration is paid by the leaseholder of the flat.

In the communal areas , the maintenance work is paid by the service charge account , paid by all flats in the building .
                              04-12-2021, 14:48 PM
                            Working...
                            X