Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sliding garage door replacement

Dear All,

I own a leasehold apartment in a block of 15 in a conservation area built in 2008. There is a sliding mahogany wooden garage door that gives access to bins and two car parking spaces. It is directly on the street. It is operated by a fob with a sensor to stop it closing should someone or something get in the way. The mechanism is not caged and there is no room to put a cage around the mechanism. Recently someone left their car door open and the door closed slightly damaging the door. Our managing agent has insisted that the whole door and mechanism needs to be replaced costing many thousands so it conforms to the latest H&S standards. They have stated the usual" whats if this and that happens?, it could do this etc". They have issued a section 20 notice intending to totally changing the look of the door and operating mechanism, and not taking into consideration my supplier/trade recommendations or indeed applied for planning permission (which is required in the area). I have outlined that there is a need for planning to be obtained.

I think they are jumping the gun. Surely it is unreasonable to expect the leaseholders to foot a bill for one small mishap? Would signage pointing out the dangers suffice?

Hope someone can help,

Neil.

Isn't this potrntially an insurance claim?

Comment

Insurance claim for the person who had car damaged? Trouble is the managing agent is proposing a door type you would see on an industrial estate. Should they do this and the planning office get wind (which the will) they will have to apply for retrospective planning permission and risk being turned down, which is highly likely and the whole lot taken out, which will cost even more. I am wondering if we can override the latest H&S standards and put signs up warning of potential hazards? It does seem to be unfair to expect leaseholders to retro fit/upgrade everything that does not conform to latest H&S. (apart from cladding issues) .... it will never end,

Neil

Comment

Oh another thing the managing agent is going to charge £750 to oversee the fiasco!!

Comment

This is of no help to you, but if it was me ( and I am brutal in some of my letters to agents ) I would say that charging £ 750 to oversea, I want to see a joinior representative camped out in front of the gates for 8 hours a day at £ 30 per hour for 2 days to oversee the work. The remainung hours to make phone calls an receive quotes + SIMPLE S20 letters.

Comment

So we have a better picture of what we are talking about what's the make and model?
            What do the people who manufactured the gate/mechanism say about guarding?

... with a sensor to stop it closing should someone or something get in the way. The mechanism is not caged and there is no room to put a cage around the mechanism. Recently someone left their car door open and the door closed slightly damaging the door.
            So is the sensor not working then, or does it need another sensor on the other end of the door/gate?

The mechanism is not caged and there is no room to put a cage around the mechanism.
            Why not?
            Any unguarded mechanism is potentially hazardous and should be guarded, that's been the case for decades not just recent standards.

Why is there no room for a guard?
            Have you had an engineer take a look at it?
            A well designed guard shouldn't add more than an inch or two (25-50 mm) all round.

Comment

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. The make is CAME. I have asked the managing agent for the original engineers report. I have also contacted the manufacturer who will pass on the details to a local representative who hopefully will come and look at the situation.

On further inspection the workings are enclosed. The only area exposed are the teeth on the bottom of the door. Further enquiries reveal that the managing agent was concerned that the door did not stop and someone could get caught between the door and the car (see pic). it is very tight.

Surely if it was a problem building reg's would have flagged the issue?

Neil

IMG_0196.JPGIMG_0199.JPG

Comment

Surely it just needs a post or something to stop anyone parking that close?

If you want guarding then something like a 4 ft. (1.22m) high x 8 ft (2.44m) long steel sheet just inside the gate should be enough. 4 ft should be high enough to prevent anyone getting trapped or damage to vehicles.
                1mm thick should be fine for a guard but you might want longer than 8 ft so as to enclose from the wall to the existing tubular guard..
                Frame it with 3/4"x3/4" (20x20mm) steel angle, (with a central upright or two for extra support to the sheets, especially if there is a join to get more than 8' long).
                With the angle frame on the side away from the gate fix to the wall and the ground. (Drill the angle and bolt through it with rawlbolts, preferably resin anchors)
                There will be a gap at the top, that black horizontal bar on the gate looks about 4 ft high, so the top of the sheet could maybe be folded over to just clear it and fill the gap, or fix another galvanised strip to the top angle frame to fill the gap, or even fit a rubber or brush strip
                If wanted paint black or brown to match the gate.

Galvanised steel sheet isn't that expensive, a quick google found an 8'x4'x1mm galv sheer for £66 inc vat (James Smith Fencing), reckon another £60/80 for sufficent 20x20x3 galvanised steel angle.
                Any local engineers could frame it up in an hour or two, maybe longer if you want it welded to the frame. (you could probably do it yourself with a drill and pop rivets if you have the space and are handy enough).
                Then it's just a case of fixing it in place on site.

If you want a cheaper option then a couple of steel angle uprights fixed to the ground and filled in with marine plywood, with a top piece to close the gap to the gate would do the job, but obviously is not going to last as long.
                (5.5mm thick 8ft x 4ft external grade ply £19.08 inc vat per sheet, Builder depot).

Comment

Dear All,

Many many thanks. That sounds like a sensible solution. I just need to stop them actioning the section20!!!

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

PS. That's unsafe parking anyway,

Whoever parked like that could do themselves an injury clambering in and out of the passenger door.
                    (Local A&E - You've got a gearstick knob stuck where?)

Comment

The key issue is to give sufficient evidence to the managing agent that the proposals suggested by nukecad would meet the requirements for Health and Safety. In that way the managing agent will not feel compromised into taking a risk - they can rely on the report ( provided it is for value)

So a possible way forward is to source a suitably qualified person holding the appropriate indemnity cover to give a report to your managing agent that the proposal of nukecad will meet current H&S requirements. If you find such a person, then advise the managing agent and put them tactfully on notice that should they proceed with the Section 20 works in the light of such recommendations that you would challenge those costs.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X