Ground rent deed of variation - which deal is best?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Ground rent deed of variation - which deal is best?

    We are selling a flat with over 100 years left on the lease. The ground rent is £200 pa, doubling every 20 years throughout the term. It is next due to double in 2035. The buyer's solicitor insists that we get the lease varied because the buyer's mortgage lender won't lend against the current ground rent provisions. Our freeholder has offered two deed of variation options:

    1. A premium of 2.5K, plus legal costs of c. £750.00 to enter a deed of variation stating that the freeholder won't rely on Housing Act 1988 for repossession


    2. A premium of 2.5K, plus legal costs of c. £750.00 to enter into a deed of variation stating that the doubling occurs every 25 years throughout the term instead of every 20 years.

    Which deal is best?
    Does 2.5K, plus legal costs of c. £750.00 sound excessive?

    Or....a leasehold indemnity policy at £34.00

    If you search online for Guaranteed Conveyancing solutions you will find a specialist site that offers indemnity policies. Go to quick quote and

    select "forfeiture of lease Housing Act repossession"

    limit of indemnity being the amount of the mortgage

    and at £250k the premium is £34

    Therefore, what this tells us is that if an insurance company (who will clearly understand the risks) decide the premium for such a risk is £34.00 then there really is nothing to worry about

    If they won’t accept the policy then I think option 1 is the answer


      Our freeholder didn't charge a premium, just had to pay their legal fees. But 1 is probably the better option. There are mortgage lenders who will offer on 20 years gr doubling. There is a table of lenders somewhere on the net with their lending criteria.



        We didn't think there was an issue with 20 year doublers so we too suggested an indemnity policy but the buyer's solicitor insisted that this would not be good enough as it only provides indemnity for the lender - not the borrower. The buyer's solicitor said that any equity and/or deposit the borrower has in the flat would not be protected. That's why the buyer's solicitor is insisting on getting a deed of variation...



          I agree that option 1 seems a better solution as option 2 still has the Housing Act 1988 to contend with. I wasn't sure whether I was missing something though?

          You are lucky that your freeholder didn't charge a premium but ours is insisting on charging one - pointing out the fact that they are not compelled to enter into a deed of variation in the first place! This is what made me wonder whether a premium of 2.5K, plus costs was excessive. Let's face it - if the freeholder is not compelled to enter into a deed of variation - what would prevent the freeholder charging us 50K, plus costs for the deed of variation - knowing that if we refuse to pay then we are likely to lose this buyer and all other buyers using the same lender?


            Duh, 2 is far and away the better option as you will be paying considerably less ground rent over the term.
            And all your buyer has to do is pay the ground rent and avoid forfeiture/loss of equity/ deposit.
            It's a red herring and ruse for lawyers to make more money. Repossession under the act for ground rent has never happened.



              With the premium at £34 the risk must be effectively zero



                If we were keeping the flat, we would choose option 2. However we are selling the flat and the buyer's lender categorically won't lend with the ground rent provisions as they are. The sale is at a pretty advanced stage already and needs to complete by end of September 2021 to take advantage of the stamp duty holiday. Neither the buyer nor the buyer's solicitor seem willing to switch lenders at this late stage.


                  Hello I am desperate for some advice. I too am in the same situation as Lorimer. I sold my flat last July 2020 and had to get a deed of variation sorted at the insistence of buyers solicitor whereby the rent will increase with Retail Index Price. This took well over 5 months to get the Landlord to agree to and activate at a cost of £1500 including my solicitors charge. because it took so long my buyer pulled out. I was lucky to quickly get another buyer but after 12 weeks the new buyers solicitor is wanting a further clause added to the deed of variation stating that 'the freeholder won't rely on Housing Act 1988 for repossession' This was put to the management company back in July 2021 and so far have received no response despite my solicitor trying to chase. Is it usual for a buyers solicitor to want both clauses? I will point out my buyer is a cash buyer and not relying on a mortgage. I am in a stale mate situation and cannot afford further costs or the length of time to get sorted even if the management company agree. I am having to pay 2 mortgages as I now live in a different area and cannot sustain this. My solicitor is offering no solutions of


                    Yes it's normal because even the gr going up with rpi is still a problem, mine is 12 years old and goes up with rpi and now it's 259 a year, no one can get a mortgage lender to agree with that amount as it's above 250.


                      Why don’t u trigger section 42 (lease extension) to get rid of the GR once for all???

                      u can start the process then pass on the benefit to the buyer on completion. That should resolve the issue.


                      Latest Activity


                      • AGM cancelled.
                        by Grumio
                        Is this legal?

                        A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
                        26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
                      • Reply to AGM cancelled.
                        by Andrea Cunningham
                        Call an EGM. Make sure you give proper notice and that it is legal (download a boilerplate notice off the internet). In that EGM you can vote new directors in, or even vote the old directors out.
                        26-01-2022, 07:14 AM
                      • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                        by SouthernDave
                        Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
                        i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
                        25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
                      • Reply to What can I do about my right of way.
                        by Trevor62

                        This is the ROW as it is in the land registry.

                        Can I ask another question?

                        As you can read it says Boundary determined by edge of pavings. Before the other party moved out they built a fence along the boundary though they build it on my side of the...
                        25-01-2022, 20:58 PM
                      • What can I do about my right of way.
                        by Trevor62
                        I live in the upper flat of a maisonette, I have a right of way that goes around the back of the building from the side entrance, there are only two flats in the building.

                        Anyway for years there has been a gate with a lock to go through the right of way, now for the past year the flat has...
                        23-01-2022, 23:01 PM
                      • Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
                        by Andrea Cunningham
                        The estate I live on has 2 blocks. All the leaseholders are members of the company which owns the freehold and manages the block ("Share of freehold").

                        Suppose one of the 2 blocks decides to go it alone - so in other words gain the freehold from a company they are already a member...
                        04-10-2021, 12:07 PM
                      • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
                        by Andrea Cunningham
                        As I said right at the beginning, there are some very sound reasons to do this which I wasn't going to go into. Suffice it to say that the current situation is one where the building I live in suffers under the tyranny of the majority of the larger building. So what is being sought is genuine control...
                        25-01-2022, 20:24 PM
                      • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
                        by Andrea Cunningham
                        There is already no ground rent collected - so as I understand it the value of the freehold might be quite low anyway.

                        If this is all done by negotiation then it is a moot point regardless, and it brings me back to what I was actually asking about, which is how to fairly and equitably split...
                        25-01-2022, 20:10 PM
                      • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
                        by Macromia
                        That potentially raises an interesting question about what happens to any money that needs to be paid for the enfranchisement.
                        At the moment payment is handed over, all those in the block being enfranchised would presumably cease to be members of the company - so wouldn't be entitled to any share...
                        25-01-2022, 19:40 PM
                      • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
                        by Macromia
                        That may not be your intention, but it definitely seems like you haven't given proper consideration to what enfranchisement would involve.

                        What do the leases specifically say about what is included within service charge/maintenance costs and how service charge costs are to be split?...
                        25-01-2022, 19:25 PM