Section 20 Thresholds - Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 20 Thresholds - Questions

I'm one of 3 directors of an RMC for a leasehold building (11 flats) in London.

We've got a fairly urgent job to be done ASAP (flaking bits of brickwork falling from high up onto the house next door and possibly embedding themselves in the neighbours' skulls). It's likely to be just slightly above the S20 threshold for some of the leaseholders (ie the % share of the cost for some leaseholders could be just over £250). If we were to skip S20, we'd open up the possibility of some leaseholders withholding some money as a result. However, the amounts involved are small (perhaps £50-£100 max for any one leaseholder).

If we took the view that - through (a) general goodwill (for all the work the 3 directors do, unpaid) and (b) apathy (people not fussed about £50-£100, if they even realise) - the risk of leaseholders withholding money was small, is this a fairly low risk strategy? Or are there other possible consequences that I'm not aware of?

If we do go down this road, should we explicitly tell people in advance "we have taken the choice to dispense with the S20 consultation to get the work done ASAP" and explain that they are not liable iro their share of any costs in excess of £250? Or do we just crack on and leave it to them to work it out for themselves? (instinctively I tend to favour being open & transparent with this sort of thing wherever possible)

Thank you.

S20 is very weak anyway, if the works are urgent, there is no need to comply fully. You can always apply for dispensation after the event if any leaseholders object.

Comment

First of all it is not as simplistic as to say leaseholders are not liable for any costs in excess of £250 - that is not necessarily the case. Given the situation regarding health and safety, I would write to the leaseholders and explain you are compelled to dispense with the S.20 consultation and request leaseholders contact you by x date if they have any objection to this. You might also give them the opportunity to nominate a contractor. Be consultative and most of the leaseholders will probably be reasonable.

Alternatively, you may be able to obtain a lower quote which keeps the work within the threshold.

You may find these cases useful:

1) Phillips v Francis, 2015;
      and 2) Daejan v Benson

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Right to Manage Costs
        by Pariah81
        Hi,

I am part of a residents association that is exploring right to manage (RTM).

We are a 30 flat block in the Ealing area.

We want to get advice on the process so how much should we be expecting to pay for our legals?

I'm also aware we have to pay...
        21-09-2021, 13:48 PM
      • Reply to Right to Manage Costs
        by lampshade
        Interesting....I have one lease in a total of 3 blocks totalling 34 flats. All managed under one managing agent appointed by the FH.
        But each block, whilst seemingly are all connected there are 3 separate blocks of about 11 flats in each. Each block has both front and back entrance, and unique...
        23-09-2021, 15:29 PM
      • Reply to Reasonable solicitor fees?
        by eagle2
        You can insist on a summarised time record showing the number of hours spent by each grade of solicitor on the different aspects of the work involved. You can then compare it with your own solicitor's time records in order to raise a specific complaint.

Intead though, I suggest that you...
        23-09-2021, 14:42 PM
      • Reasonable solicitor fees?
        by LizLease
        After six long and tedious months of negotiations to extend the lase on a flat, we are nearing completion and I have been sent the final balance.

I was shocked to be presented with a £2,700 bill for the freeholder's solicitor fees. When I first inquired about renewing the lease, the freeholder...
        21-09-2021, 17:17 PM
      • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
        by sgclacy
        Does that include the surveyor fee ?...
        23-09-2021, 14:36 PM
      • Negotiating a lease extension
        by LizLease
        Hi all, I am new to the forum.
        I am looking to extend the lease on a flat (currently under 70 years).
        I received a quote from the freeholder and a valuation from a surveyor (£3k lower than the freeholder's figure).
        I spoke to the leasehold Advisory Service who said to ask the surveyor...
        21-01-2021, 12:44 PM
      • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
        by LizLease
        Thank you both

sgclacy, if you are talking about the "deed of surrender and regrant of lease", that is a 10 page document and as far as I am ware, there are no specific issues or complications with it. It's a flat in a 30 year-old small block of flats and there are no odd clauses...
        23-09-2021, 12:17 PM
      • Reply to Reasonable solicitor fees?
        by LizLease
        Thanks for the replies.
        It has taken 6 months because the surveyor - who was dealing with the negotiations - was useless and not proactive / reactive. Add to that the fact that we had reached a deal I said OK to, then the freeholder and their solicitor turned around and said actually no, they...
        23-09-2021, 12:09 PM
      • Renewing the lease and sublet charges
        by mpppen
        I've just about finished the tortuous process of renewing the lease at a flat we own bringing it up to 170 years and no ground rent (yay).

It is rent out and I do keep getting sublet registration demands from an infamous mgm company on here.

I've read back through the forums...
        21-09-2021, 18:47 PM
      • Reply to Renewing the lease and sublet charges
        by mpppen
        Ooh interesting, thanks Gordon.

I'll do some research to see if I can dig it up.
        If anyone else knows more about this though in the interim, please shout.

Many thanks...
        23-09-2021, 10:21 AM
      Working...
      X