X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breach of service charges by directors

We are right to manage with 3 directors
    we all hold one share per flat.
    the development was built in the 70s. The directors have used our service charge funds to purchase garden furniture without the vote of shareholders which has been brought to their attention and they are choosing to ignore. It has been pointed out that the Lease does not include service charges being used for social and recreational products and without the vote of all leaseholders cannot take our funds for this purpose. We have never had garden furniture. It is the process they have taken to purchase without our consent or chance to decide what amount can be spent or design should the vote go in favour.
    l no longer trust them with my service charges as it is being used in a fraudulent manner against the terms of our lease and articles of association and wondered what measures we can now take
    thank you

Here we go again . I suggest you search the forum for the endless daily posts of RTMs and RMCs controlled by incompetent / fraudulent lessees
    They probably now outnumber the grievances against professional managing agents and freeholders who manage and maintain properties to a high standard.

Comment

We have Managing Agents who are also our Secretary and are excellent and have advised our Directors they cannot use funds for this purpose and has been noted in the last Directors Meeting when this was discussed can we as shareholders ask our Managing Agents to assist in the removal and recompense by the Directors

Comment

Can l put my service charges into an escrow account so they cannot use if for these purposes

Comment

Originally posted by Loudee View Post
          Can l put my service charges into an escrow account so they cannot use if for these purposes
          The service charge should already be in a "client account" on trust for you. If you have a good managing agent then the directors don't need access to the funds as agent controls the budget. You could ask the Agents to remove the directors as signatories to prevent this happening again but not sure how you could recover the funds.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
            not sure how you could recover the funds.
            Today, just send them and invoice for your share of the expence, due to erroneously, and also for stealing MY service charge money for none service charge affiliated items.

List all the items, go on line and find the dearest prices, - add them up, divide by number of leaseholders, and state that if the money is not received into your acount / cheque received within 14 days, you will charge them with theft.

Yours faithfully etc.

Comment

If you are a director then you could ask the other directors why they are not acting collectively/ holding directors meetings for everyone to attend and discuss. Is a quorum required to make decisions? Check your Articles. Check your lease, it is highly unlikely garden furniture are an item of expenditure which can be recoverable from the lease. Ask them where in the lease does it state - the exact clause that this item is recoverable from the lease? Put this all in writing and keep copies.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Right to Manage Costs
                by Pariah81
                Hi,

I am part of a residents association that is exploring right to manage (RTM).

We are a 30 flat block in the Ealing area.

We want to get advice on the process so how much should we be expecting to pay for our legals?

I'm also aware we have to pay...
                21-09-2021, 13:48 PM
              • Reply to Right to Manage Costs
                by lampshade
                ERMmmm....it would be very interesting especially as our Freeholder, who owned the company that Managed the building gave the contract to another fringe company, and the fees doubled to £10k pa....and if 12 of us leave that will cause fee problems for the remaining 2 flats, but not our problem....will...
                23-09-2021, 17:50 PM
                by Section20z
                Yes, you should be able to. We did something similar for one of two blocks with same name just different flat numbers. First step is to get 6+ owners to take part and form a company to serve the notice. A reluctant freeholder will fight every step so you may need professional help to get it right....
                23-09-2021, 17:35 PM
                by lampshade
                Interesting....I have one lease in a total of 3 blocks totalling 34 flats. All managed under one managing agent appointed by the FH.
                But each block, whilst seemingly are all connected there are 3 separate blocks of about 11 flats in each. Each block has both front and back entrance, and unique...
                23-09-2021, 15:29 PM
              • Reply to Reasonable solicitor fees?
                by eagle2
                You can insist on a summarised time record showing the number of hours spent by each grade of solicitor on the different aspects of the work involved. You can then compare it with your own solicitor's time records in order to raise a specific complaint.

Intead though, I suggest that you...
                23-09-2021, 14:42 PM
              • Reasonable solicitor fees?
                by LizLease
                After six long and tedious months of negotiations to extend the lase on a flat, we are nearing completion and I have been sent the final balance.

I was shocked to be presented with a £2,700 bill for the freeholder's solicitor fees. When I first inquired about renewing the lease, the freeholder...
                21-09-2021, 17:17 PM
              • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
                by sgclacy
                Does that include the surveyor fee ?...
                23-09-2021, 14:36 PM
              • Negotiating a lease extension
                by LizLease
                Hi all, I am new to the forum.
                I am looking to extend the lease on a flat (currently under 70 years).
                I received a quote from the freeholder and a valuation from a surveyor (£3k lower than the freeholder's figure).
                I spoke to the leasehold Advisory Service who said to ask the surveyor...
                21-01-2021, 12:44 PM
              • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
                by LizLease
                Thank you both

sgclacy, if you are talking about the "deed of surrender and regrant of lease", that is a 10 page document and as far as I am ware, there are no specific issues or complications with it. It's a flat in a 30 year-old small block of flats and there are no odd clauses...
                23-09-2021, 12:17 PM
              • Reply to Reasonable solicitor fees?
                by LizLease
                Thanks for the replies.
                It has taken 6 months because the surveyor - who was dealing with the negotiations - was useless and not proactive / reactive. Add to that the fact that we had reached a deal I said OK to, then the freeholder and their solicitor turned around and said actually no, they...
                23-09-2021, 12:09 PM
              Working...
              X