Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing a director

Hi all.

The residents management company is currently being run by a director who is very uncooperative. After 2 years of asking for a meeting, asking for copies of accounts, the insurance policy, just anythings in relation to the limited company, he refuses and continues to be very difficult.

After finally being set up as another director, which was painful in itself, I called an AGM and he didn't show up. However during the meeting, the majority voted and agreed to remove the director because we are so unhappy with his behaviour and worried because our flats are being damaged by leaks because the building isn't being maintained.

I contacted the accountant (who generally refuses to speak with me too) and asked him to remove the director because we have majority vote but he said because I haven't followed the procedure correctly, he can't remove him as this is illegal.

Although I'm a director now, i still have no access to funds or insurance or anything. I dont know anything about how the company is being run. He still refuses. The majority have voted that we dissolve the company and start again.

There isn't anything in the articles about removal of director.

Please can someone kindly advise. Any advice would be great. Why can't we remove him with majority vote? What do we need to do to remove him??? How do we dissolve the company?

Im so stressed with this and just wish it was easy. My flat is becoming so damaged.

You can arrange a meeting of members but you must include on the agenda that you intend to remove the director. You must give special notice to the director that he is subject to the vote and you must allow him to make a statement at the meeting, Make sure that you have the minimum number of directors afterwards as stated in the Articles, otherwise you may need to appoint someone else at the same meeting.

Comment

Yet another post from an RMC unable to maintain a property with a stressed out lessee spending time and money desperately trying to sort matters out
      I suggest the OP write to his MP and demand the legislation be changed.

Comment

Removal of a director

For the steps that must be taken to remove a director you need to read up on some Company law and follow the right process and procedures. You also need to check your Company Articles about appointment /removal and quorum required. Removal from office

Resolution to remove a director

A director may be removed from office by ordinary resolution of the members passed at a general meeting of a company before the expiration of their period of office and notwithstanding anything in any agreement between the director and the company, pursuant to section 168 of the Companies Act 2006 (CA 2006). For a sample ordinary resolution to remove a director from office

Shareholder activists may propose the removal of a director (or the entire board of directors) if they feel that there have been leadership or corporate governance failings. An activist shareholder may requisition a resolution (whether by requisitioning a general meeting or by requiring a resolution to be put before a company's annual general meeting (AGM)) for the removal of a director and appointment of a replacement. For details on requisitioning a general meeting and requisitioning a resolution at a company's AGM, see your Articles general meetings (including AGMs)—members’ rights.

Comment

In addition, s169 CA 2006 gives the director the right to protest against his removal,

Comment

Originally posted by LaraJara21 View Post
            I called an AGM and he didn't show up. However during the meeting, the majority voted and agreed to remove the director

.... The majority have voted that we dissolve the company and start again.

...There isn't anything in the articles about removal of director.

Please can someone kindly advise. Any advice would be great. Why can't we remove him with majority vote? What do we need to do to remove him??? How do we dissolve the company?
            As said many times on this forum, you can't remove a director at an AGM. You have to follow the Companies Act 2006 and call a 'special notice' meeting, give the miscreant due notice, wording of the resolution, and an opportunity to respond in writing and verbally at the meeting to the grounds before the vote. Best to give grounds that don't end up in a libel case, mind. Then you can remove 'him' (or her) by majority vote if the meeting is quorate and validly called.
            Do not read my offerings, based purely on my research or experience as a lessee, as legal advice. If you need legal advice please see a solicitor.

Comment

A note from cynical experience. It seems to me that you have a stressful burden and unfairly you are having to do all the work.
              Others will be happy to sit in the background and benefit from your work.
              Insist that at least 3 other people become directors. Threaten to resign, and do so, if you are not supported.
              I read too many times of conscientious people being taken advantage of by people happy to grips in the background. However, flack and work is left to someone else.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Right to Manage Costs
                by Pariah81
                Hi,

I am part of a residents association that is exploring right to manage (RTM).

We are a 30 flat block in the Ealing area.

We want to get advice on the process so how much should we be expecting to pay for our legals?

I'm also aware we have to pay...
                21-09-2021, 13:48 PM
              • Reply to Right to Manage Costs
                by lampshade
                ERMmmm....it would be very interesting especially as our Freeholder, who owned the company that Managed the building gave the contract to another fringe company, and the fees doubled to £10k pa....and if 12 of us leave that will cause fee problems for the remaining 2 flats, but not our problem....will...
                23-09-2021, 17:50 PM
                by Section20z
                Yes, you should be able to. We did something similar for one of two blocks with same name just different flat numbers. First step is to get 6+ owners to take part and form a company to serve the notice. A reluctant freeholder will fight every step so you may need professional help to get it right....
                23-09-2021, 17:35 PM
                by lampshade
                Interesting....I have one lease in a total of 3 blocks totalling 34 flats. All managed under one managing agent appointed by the FH.
                But each block, whilst seemingly are all connected there are 3 separate blocks of about 11 flats in each. Each block has both front and back entrance, and unique...
                23-09-2021, 15:29 PM
              • Reply to Reasonable solicitor fees?
                by eagle2
                You can insist on a summarised time record showing the number of hours spent by each grade of solicitor on the different aspects of the work involved. You can then compare it with your own solicitor's time records in order to raise a specific complaint.

Intead though, I suggest that you...
                23-09-2021, 14:42 PM
              • Reasonable solicitor fees?
                by LizLease
                After six long and tedious months of negotiations to extend the lase on a flat, we are nearing completion and I have been sent the final balance.

I was shocked to be presented with a £2,700 bill for the freeholder's solicitor fees. When I first inquired about renewing the lease, the freeholder...
                21-09-2021, 17:17 PM
              • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
                by sgclacy
                Does that include the surveyor fee ?...
                23-09-2021, 14:36 PM
              • Negotiating a lease extension
                by LizLease
                Hi all, I am new to the forum.
                I am looking to extend the lease on a flat (currently under 70 years).
                I received a quote from the freeholder and a valuation from a surveyor (£3k lower than the freeholder's figure).
                I spoke to the leasehold Advisory Service who said to ask the surveyor...
                21-01-2021, 12:44 PM
              • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
                by LizLease
                Thank you both

sgclacy, if you are talking about the "deed of surrender and regrant of lease", that is a 10 page document and as far as I am ware, there are no specific issues or complications with it. It's a flat in a 30 year-old small block of flats and there are no odd clauses...
                23-09-2021, 12:17 PM
              • Reply to Reasonable solicitor fees?
                by LizLease
                Thanks for the replies.
                It has taken 6 months because the surveyor - who was dealing with the negotiations - was useless and not proactive / reactive. Add to that the fact that we had reached a deal I said OK to, then the freeholder and their solicitor turned around and said actually no, they...
                23-09-2021, 12:09 PM
              Working...
              X