Freestanding trellis fence – does it count as a "structural alteration"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freestanding trellis fence – does it count as a "structural alteration"?

I own a flat with a private patio in a Victorian house divided into four flats. It is leasehold with a share of freehold and the only flat of the four to have a private patio, which is surrounded by communal garden.
    I would like to add trellis fencing along the length of the patio, which is currently open to the communal garden but which was previously screened by bay trees that I had chopped down shortly after buying the flat..
    My lease states that I am "not to make any structural alterations or structural additions to the demised premises without the previous consent in writing of the Lessor [in this case Freehold Management Company].
    My understanding is that freestanding fencing – not attached to the walls of the building – is not considered structural.
    I'm hoping is this case as one of my fellow directors of the Freehold Management Company is a nightmare and refuses consent for anything.
    I'd be grateful if anyone can advise?

A free-standing trellis is not structural.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Leasehold sweetener?
      by Bonehead33
      So the flat I'm considering will apparently come with a new leasehold of 99 years. If I pay full asking price (10k more than I think it's worth) then the flat will come with a 125 year lease. I'm new to leasehold. Is there any benefit to getting the 125 and paying extra? The flat is around 100k to buy...
      26-09-2021, 16:35 PM
    • Reply to Leasehold sweetener?
      by Bonehead33
      (showing my naivity but...) The ground rent is negotiable? I though it was cast in stone, is it not?
      27-09-2021, 06:50 AM
      by Section20z
      Swings & roundabouts really, if you have the money now then haggle for the 125 years but once you've owned it 2 years you can add 90 years to the lease for probably similar cost but maybe the better long term option.
      More important might be negotiating the ground rent down or fixing it.
      27-09-2021, 06:28 AM
      by Bonehead33
      250 per year. Get to see the review either today or tomorrow
      27-09-2021, 04:24 AM
      by sgclacy
      what is the proposed ground rent and its review pattern
      27-09-2021, 03:57 AM
      by Bonehead33
      Hi guys.

Sorry I may have misled getting some of my terminology wrong.

So I'm a BTL landlord with one semi in my portfolio. This is my first flat that I wish to buy as a BTL and the first time I've come across leasehold.
      the seller of the flat is arranging a new 99y...
      27-09-2021, 03:34 AM
    • Reply to Freeholders transfer management to company and charge for own time.
      by AndrewDod
      Creating a pseudo arm of the freeholder with an intent to create a fee generating entity is basically a type of fraud. You have the right to enforce the lease, and collect ground rent, but not to make any money out of the freehold at all (apart from on reversion/lease extension).

Yes I...
      26-09-2021, 21:41 PM
    • Freeholders transfer management to company and charge for own time.
      by zena
      I share the freehold with one other flat. The third flat is leasehold only. There is no management company and things are ad hoc - there is no right for the freeholders to charge any management fees or recover expenses for their time. When everyone is friendly, fair and responsive it's great but...
      25-09-2021, 14:08 PM
      by AndrewDod
      As vmart says, and consider whether you really want to buy a leasehold flat at all (or purchase property at all in a City where you might be forced to do so within your price range). May be cheaper to rent....
      26-09-2021, 21:26 PM
      by vmart
      In your case, I would suggest it would not be worth paying + £10K for the additional term. You would likely be better off renewing the lease via the statutory route once you are the leaseholder. This will add 90 years to the term of 99 years, reduce ground rent to a peppercorn (£0) and enable you...
      26-09-2021, 17:42 PM
    Working...
    X